Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2021 7:28:55 PM EDT
Not sure what I just received.  Ordered a can of 7.62 Hirtenberger from AIM.  Description says milsurp from 80's, boxer primed, non corrosive, stripper clips and bandoliers.  Headstamp has me wondering though.  HP with no stars, no NATO circle cross, 308, 7.62x51.  Primer is brass 3 post crimp, light green sealant.  Brass appears to be annealed.  Came in a spanking new looking can, label says lot 3 (???) 1/79.  Doesn't look quite right so wondering if this really is Hirt or if I should pull one down to check components.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I know there was some German ammo that was “sanitized” for export from Germany. I think it was the only way the govt would allow the ammo to be sold. I bet you have some of that...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like an export head stamp.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
HP headstamp is Hirtenberger.

https://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to the M14 Forum.
There are a couple of very interesting threads on this latest release of Hirtenberger sold by Aim, Max Arms and probably a few other suppliers.
It's boxer primed and reloadable but has staked primers and you need to be careful with your deprimer pin if you reload.
You can't loose with Hirtenberger mil surp whether its boxer or berdan primed. It's usually excellent ammo. Only issues I've heard about
is the ammo packed in the green plastic battle packs. Some had corrosion issues due to acid used in making the paper cartons the ammo is packed in but not all BP's were affected.
Yours probably came in 800rd ammo cans loaded on strippers in cloth bandoliers. I'm waiting for mine as well.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
What’s the going rate on that?

I haven’t bought any since the early 00’s when you could get SA, Port, MEN, POF, for .10/ round shipped

That old $300 Cetme was a hoot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Got a can from aim myself. Was pretty much right on $400 shipped. Haven't looked at them, but the can was super dusty lol.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Can looked pretty much new.  No rust, paint intact (probably repainted) seals are still sticky.  Has the weird label mentioned earlier.

Cartridges look good externally; brass is very clean.  Only thing that has me puzzled is the headstamp.  M14 forum had only one mention of anything that looks like what I received, and can't find any other mentions elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the same ammo from Max Arms with respect to headstamp. Can had no markings, so I have no idea about the manufacture date.

Not sure what the difference is between the no-date ammo with green sealant and the dated ammo with red sealant.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how does it shoot?
View Quote

This ammo is getting reserved. It'll be some of the last ball ammo I shoot if it comes to that. The reason for that is that it has always performed very well for me. I shot the last of my Hirt over a year ago. My FALs, especially, really like this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
how does it shoot?
View Quote

Haven't been to the range yet, and probably won't make it for another couple of weeks.  Life keeps getting in the way.  LOL!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Like this? I'm gonna try some also in the next week or 2

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Same headstamp.  Please do post results; you'll probably get out before I do.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Shot 20 rounds. All go bang. 2x7 Leuopold.
One of the black dots blew off in the target pic.
We had 25mph winds so I couldn't hold still on the bench.
Front rest, hand rest in back

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Are the cases Boxer or Berdan primed on the ones you fired?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are the cases Boxer or Berdan primed on the ones you fired?
View Quote

All were Berdan
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure what I just received.  Ordered a can of 7.62 Hirtenberger from AIM.  Description says milsurp from 80's, boxer primed, non corrosive, stripper clips and bandoliers.  Headstamp has me wondering though.  HP with no stars, no NATO circle cross, 308, 7.62x51.  Primer is brass 3 post crimp, light green sealant.  Brass appears to be annealed.  Came in a spanking new looking can, label says lot 3 (???) 1/79.  Doesn't look quite right so wondering if this really is Hirt or if I should pull one down to check components.  Thoughts?
View Quote

You generally won't see NATO crosses on Austrian military surplus Hirtenberger, mainly because Austria isn't part of NATO. Now they did sometimes put it on the commercial cases of ammo that Hirtenberger sold to other countries, including some that they weren't supposed to sell to at all like Iran, Iraq, and Libya.

Quoted:
I know there was some German ammo that was “sanitized” for export from Germany. I think it was the only way the govt would allow the ammo to be sold. I bet you have some of that...
View Quote

That ammo had a ring on the heads machined off to remove most of the headstamp, and the caliber printed in ink on the side.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I got some without a date head stamp.  Took it to the range I go to. First shot I saw a spark on the steel backstop.

The bullet is a copper washed steel jacketed bullet. It is supposed to be ok to use in 308/7.62x51 Garands also
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Max arms still has this ammo in stock. But from what I'm seeing they will only take an e check. I'd buy some if they took CC.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Max arms still has this ammo in stock. But from what I'm seeing they will only take an e check. I'd buy some if they took CC.
View Quote

I wonder when and why they made that change for payment.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Max arms has this on sale with code 50offhirt

And they now take Credit Card. Hard to beat 400 rounds of 308 in a can for $345 shipped given current prices.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top