Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2023 10:18:02 PM EDT
Suggestions for a high quality EDC type torch that runs on AA alkaline, preferably two cells.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought several AA lights for cars, EDC, etc over the last several years. My favorite is a Fenix LD22 for AAx2 and it’s my current EDC. I like the ease with which you can switch between low, mid, high and turbo modes with the side switch.

I also picked up a Streamlight ProTac 1L 1AA Dual Fuel light which is awesome in that it can use either AA (any type) or CR123 lithium primaries. It’s very bright but not as easy to switch to other levels/modes so it just stays in the GHB loaded with a 123. It’s a great backup light.

One of the attractions to AA lights is that you can pickup alkalines anywhere, but seriously, I cannot recommend highly enough that you consider buying eneloops to actually keep in the light. Alkalines can leak without warning and do a lot of corrosive damage quickly. Eneloops are the bomb!
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought several AA lights for cars, EDC, etc over the last several years. My favorite is a Fenix LD22 for AAx2 and it’s my current EDC. I like the ease with which you can switch between low, mid, high and turbo modes with the side switch.

I also picked up a Streamlight ProTac 1L 1AA Dual Fuel light which is awesome in that it can use either AA (any type) or CR123 lithium primaries. It’s very bright but not as easy to switch to other levels/modes so it just stays in the GHB loaded with a 123. It’s a great backup light.

One of the attractions to AA lights is that you can pickup alkalines anywhere, but seriously, I cannot recommend highly enough that you consider buying eneloops to actually keep in the light. Alkalines can leak without warning and do a lot of corrosive damage quickly. Eneloops are the bomb!
View Quote

Just picked up ebay LD22 thanks bro looking into the Streamlight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:16:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The Streamlight protac 2AA has been my goto for many years. Fits pants pocket perfectly. Plenty bright and very durable. I've never broken one. Being able to switch the programming for how the button works is really great.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:51:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Streamlight protac 2AA has been my goto for many years. Fits pants pocket perfectly. Plenty bright and very durable. I've never broken one. Being able to switch the programming for how the button works is really great.
View Quote

Got the Streamlight went with the 1AA thanks for the recs
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cautionary point with the 1L/1AA is that I have 3 that after running regularly with AA batteries have zero function with CR123As.
They're fine if you want a CR123A light that can use AAs in a pinch/emergency,  or if you never want to be able to use CR123As, but don't expect to regularly switch back and forth.

Background- I bought these as a light I could run work provided AAs in at work (where my boss was regularly bumming a flashlight off me) and CR123As on my own time. They didn't work for that (due to not working with CR123As after AAs), so I ended up just using them with AAs and buying a 2L-X and then an HL-X.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cautionary point with the 1L/1AA is that I have 3 that after running regularly with AA batteries have zero function with CR123As.
They're fine if you want a CR123A light that can use AAs in a pinch/emergency,  or if you never want to be able to use CR123As, but don't expect to regularly switch back and forth.

Background- I bought these as a light I could run work provided AAs in at work (where my boss was regularly bumming a flashlight off me) and CR123As on my own time. They didn't work for that (due to not working with CR123As after AAs), so I ended up just using them with AAs and buying a 2L-X and then an HL-X.
View Quote
Streamlight will fix it or send you a new light. I had the same thing happen when those lights first came out and I was running 14500's in it. They sent me a brand new one and it happened again. This time it wouldn't work with AA's either, just the 14500s. Turns out the button top on the 14500 is just a little longer than the AAs and it compressed the positive end spring. This made it so the spring didnt make contact with the AAs and 123s. I used a small hook and was able to stretch the spring out just enough so it works again. I bet thats what happened with yours.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Streamlight will fix it or send you a new light. I had the same thing happen when those lights first came out and I was running 14500's in it. They sent me a brand new one and it happened again. This time it wouldn't work with AA's either, just the 14500s. Turns out the button top on the 14500 is just a little longer than the AAs and it compressed the positive end spring. This made it so the spring didnt make contact with the AAs and 123s. I used a small hook and was able to stretch the spring out just enough so it works again. I bet thats what happened with yours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Streamlight has amazing CS, so I totally believe that they would. In my case I carry nicer, bigger lights now and the 1L-1AA lights are used with rechargeable AAs by my wife and 2yo son.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#8]
@valsport5  Zebra light has some good little lights that also come with headbands to run as a headlamp.  I have the single AA version & its pretty awesome.

this version: https://www.zebralight.com/H503c-AA-LH351D-4000K-Neutral-White-High-CRI-Flood-Headlamp_p_238.html

If you order it get 1 or 2 spare pocket clips.  I lost my pocket clip last year a night vision shoot
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top