Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Page / 39
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 4:29:53 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGunslinger:
Unless it's been updated otherwise, the first page says they've had ARs with 200k + rounds and have never lost upper or lower.
View Quote
We have uppers with more rounds than that now that haven't broken BUT we also have uppers with 30,000+ rounds that broke. I don't think either the high-round count or the low-round count breaking is anything to judge the uppers on. For the most part, 95% of our uppers continue to function flawlessly and ALL brands of upper receivers have suffered from the same fracture.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:29:54 PM EDT
How are those PSA AKs doing?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:10:12 PM EDT
PSA AK's are still on the range running like champs. I don't have the latest round count but they RSO's have been very specific to keep the round count accurate.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:07:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2019 12:44:02 PM EDT by Tigwelder1971]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:19:17 PM EDT
Bookmarked. Awesome.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:40:26 PM EDT
Awesome stuff Ron, thank you again!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:08:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

We have uppers with more rounds than that now that haven't broken BUT we also have uppers with 30,000+ rounds that broke. I don't think either the high-round count or the low-round count breaking is anything to judge the uppers on. For the most part, 95% of our uppers continue to function flawlessly and ALL brands of upper receivers have suffered from the same fracture.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Good update. Interesting to see. I wonder what the cause is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:48:36 PM EDT
Do you use 9310 and C158 bolts? If so, does one perform better than the other?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:20:29 PM EDT
Thanks for the update, Ron.  Approximately what round count are you needing to install KNS pins on the 14.5-20 inch guns?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 2:56:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jaramilm:
Thanks for the update, Ron.  Approximately what round count are you needing to install KNS pins on the 14.5-20 inch guns?
View Quote
We haven't needed to install the KNS pins on the 14.5-20" guns, just the shorter barrels need the pins.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:46:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:50:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2019 6:54:31 AM EDT by Br00D]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
Why would shorter bbls require these?  What is different in guns with > 14.5"?
View Quote
Fighting the urge to quote that in the anti walk thread goin on right now. Maybe has to do with FA?
Ron I'm eager to know as well!

edit: the urge proved too great
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:43:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:50:23 PM EDT
Do you use 9310 and C158 bolts? If so, does one perform better than the other?
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 4:57:23 AM EDT

We haven't needed to install the KNS pins on the 14.5-20" guns, just the shorter barrels need the pins.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Do you think there's any need to use them on 10" ARs that are semi only?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 2:10:40 PM EDT

@HendersonDefense

Ron

Why would shorter bbls require these?  What is different in guns with > 14.5"?
View Quote
Due to the increased rate of fire? Ron has also made note that they have used KNS pins on auto-sear pins that have egged. However, I believe he also noted that these sear holes were non-factory...so most likely raw and not anodized?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 2:18:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 3:10:37 PM EDT
Do you use 9310 and C158 bolts? If so, which one holds up better?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2019 2:16:49 PM EDT by MrWhite]
Originally Posted By Shooting-Blanks:
Do you use 9310 and C158 bolts? If so, which one holds up better?
View Quote
That’s a good question and I see you want to know the answer pretty bad since you asked 3 times.

I’m curious as well and I won’t buy a bolt that’s not made from the correct material. As a rule, I don’t believe anything anyone says, but I trust Ron as he has become quite the authority on what breaks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 3:54:28 PM EDT
He’s mentioned that he’s mostly used LMT and DD. Im pretty sure he isn’t using the enhanced LMT bolt, so that kind of narrows it down to C158 for both.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:47:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 10:16:18 PM EDT
Thanks, Ron for keeping the updates coming.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 5:19:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
He’s mentioned that he’s mostly used LMT and DD. Im pretty sure he isn’t using the enhanced LMT bolt, so that kind of narrows it down to C158 for both.
View Quote
I am aware, but the only way to be certain is to hear it from him. He may or may not have used 9310.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 6:00:03 PM EDT

Colt and PSA also.
View Quote
That's right. As complete uppers? Seems I remember he was replacing just the bolts and carriers with DD and LMT, but obviously has some complete uppers with those manufacturer's own BCG.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:58:41 PM EDT
I'm curious why the need for KNS pins on the shorter barrels.

I'm also curious as what causes the uppers to consistently fail the same way each time.

Are these guns suppressed?  If so does that lead to the failures?
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:22:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

I'm also curious as what causes the uppers to consistently fail the same way each time.

View Quote
The violence of the short barrel gas impulse creates more rotational wear on the trigger group pins.

As to the consistent failure points it's probably just a weak spot of the designed system.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:35:03 PM EDT
Hi Ron,

Have you replaced any railed free-float tubes lately and which ones are you running on the 5.56 shorties and M4s?

Early in this thread, you mentioned using cheap ones off of eBay.  I’d like to know what you recommend currently.

Thanks!

MT
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:23:01 AM EDT
@Hendersondefense no word on the LMT Enhanced bolts, eh?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:58:11 AM EDT
Terrific information without all the "fanboy" nonsense that so often accompanies firearm durability and maintenance threads.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 1:18:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By myhatinthering:

No way, pd use is light at best and dont overestimate swat training, you'd be surprised how much or how little is live fire.  Joke at best imho, coming from family of blue with swat brother ironically.  Agree on bfvegas and rest however
View Quote
I know an SRT guy that trains multiple thousand rounds every two weeks. We have SWAT and SRT guys here that are constantly on the range. Me thinks that depends on the department and the individual, and just like any police trade in it's a total crapshoot and the buyer will likely never know.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:09:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 10:11:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 10:31:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:39:12 PM EDT
@Hendersondefense

What is the round count life on things like hammers, hammer springs, trigger springs, etc?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:40:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Blain:
@Hendersondefense

What is the round count life on things like hammers, hammer springs, trigger springs, etc?

Thanks!
View Quote
Man, that is actually a really good question I hadn't considered. I imagine wear on the auto sear is the worst? But not certain.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:47:10 PM EDT
@HendersonDefense

You really need to write a book! I'm being completely serious. I know there's a lot of information in different places all over the internet, and you've probably answered the same questions multiple times already. Write everything down and publish it as an ebook. That way you'll be making money for your time and people won't have to wade through all the various threads to find what they're looking for.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 4:30:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 6GUNZ:
@HendersonDefense

You really need to write a book! I'm being completely serious. I know there's a lot of information in different places all over the internet, and you've probably answered the same questions multiple times already. Write everything down and publish it as an ebook. That way you'll be making money for your time and people won't have to wade through all the various threads to find what they're looking for.
View Quote
I'll second, a book with technical data would be awesome.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 4:51:00 PM EDT
@HendersonDefense, how are your ACR's holding up?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 8:25:35 AM EDT
@hendersondefense Have you ever tried the Lantac Domed Cam Pins?
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:43:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 6:42:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BarrettBoy:
The violence of the short barrel gas impulse creates more rotational wear on the trigger group pins.

As to the consistent failure points it's probably just a weak spot of the designed system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BarrettBoy:
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

So, to reiterate:

1.  Is the egging out of receiver holes due to full auto fire or would it eventually happen only on semi-auto fire?
2.  What is the approximate round count when the egging starts to occur?
3.  Does it affect certain brands of receivers more than others?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:37:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Holdemdown:

I'll second, a book with technical data would be awesome.
View Quote
Id buy, and pay good money.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:55:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:
View Quote
The gas blocks have all failed on our ACR's.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:57:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:

Man, that is actually a really good question I hadn't considered. I imagine wear on the auto sear is the worst? But not certain.
View Quote
I'll have to ask the armorers that question because we have bins of FCG parts and though they look good to me, the staff say they don't function properly. I take their word and they are good about not wasting inventory.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 4:59:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Multi-Tool:
Hi Ron,

Have you replaced any railed free-float tubes lately and which ones are you running on the 5.56 shorties and M4s?

Early in this thread, you mentioned using cheap ones off of eBay.  I’d like to know what you recommend currently.

Thanks!

MT
View Quote
I was in the shop today and seems like all of the Daniel Defense rails are still mounted on the rifles (along with Magpul furniture) and holding well after all these years.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 5:01:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 6GUNZ:

Do you think there's any need to use them on 10" ARs that are semi only?
View Quote
In my opinion, it depends on how much you plan on using it.

We switched our 9mm SMG's to A5 stocks, rifle spring and H3 buffer and it's slowed the guns down enough that we no longer experience any trigger slap and haven't had a KNS pin break or noticed any "egging" of the FCG holes.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 5:24:51 PM EDT

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
I appreciate the feedback. In what way are they failing? Thanks for taking the time for all of us by the way.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 12:07:05 AM EDT
I appreciate the feedback. In what way are they failing? Thanks for taking the time for all of us by the way.
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron
Hahaha.  Fucking  BM junk...

Too much.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 10:51:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By m4hk33:

Hahaha.  Fucking  BM junk...

Too much.
View Quote
Magpul designed the gas block. I like the ACR enough I just picked one up. Sounds like an aftermarket gas block might be a worthy purchase.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 7:13:37 PM EDT
Love this thread! Miss Ron contributing more, but he running a business, so it is great whenever he gives his input. Ron, thanks for getting back to us and keep the good work
Page / 39
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.