Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2020 12:47:54 AM EDT
Probably the wrong time to attempt my first 9mm pistol build... But I guess better now than never?

Haven't even taken the time to do any research, but I wanted to get some opinions.

I'd like to build a nice / high quality pistol (glock mags)

I was looking at the noveske lower, and the complete pistol even (space invader) but I'd be willing to bet those won't be available for quite some time.

Is there another option that is on par with the noveske option?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 1:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
buy a JP
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
CMMG Banshee
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are interested in building your own simple blowback, here's all the AR9 blowback basics and common problems/troubleshooting/fixes all in one post. "Lots of 9mm AR information".

If you go with simple blowback, I'd strongly recommend a Macon Armory barrel with their "guaranteed to feed" feed cone machining.  His barrel works fine with my new production Spikes Glock lower, despite the note on his site.

Depending on how "high end" you want to go, CMMG Banshee with their radial delayed blowback (RDB) is a good option.  Delayed blowback is superior in shooting experience to simple blowback, and there are several experts on the RDB here that contribute to this forum.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two 8" CMMG RDB uppers on American Defense Manufacturing lowers (full ambi) using Mean Arms PMag conversions.  I really like these lowers.  I had some teething issues with the CMMG uppers most likely due to some component transitions, but I like not having to fuss with buffer configurations (standard carbine) and generally speaking any AR trigger should work, no need for an AR9 trigger.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll put in my .02 cents for Gibbz Arms.  It was my first side-charging and first pistol caliber upper.  I'm impressed.  It wasn't cheap with their BCG, but it runs like it's supposed to.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#6]
High end AR-9s are not simple blowback.  Gas, piston, or delayed blowback.  That's Mad-Machinist, SIG, or CMMG.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had a number of 9MM Glock fed builds over the years, both direct blowback and CMMG RDB builds.  All of the builds took some tinkering to get them to work properly.  I'm down to 2 now - a CMMG Banshee 300 MkG 9MM pistol for the truck, and my first build a suppressed "Franken" AR SBR for the house.  It uses an old DDLES small frame lower, a New Frontier Armory upper receiver with the built in LRBHO, and a CMMG RDB bolt and barrel.

The Franken AR was originally built with a direct blowback upper and barrel and was a royal PITA to get to run right.  The LRBHO only worked half the time, it kept breaking bolt catches, and it need a throat job for feed reliably.  Finally fixed all those problems with the above mentioned mods plus the amphibian recommended Tubbs flat wound buffer spring and Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer.  Has run like a champ ever since.

My CMMG Banshee has worked great from the beginning, although I did have to adjust the LRBHO mechanism a little.  And I added Law Folder to make it a little easier to transport.

I have a couple of thousand rounds through both weapons, and I haven't had any of the FTE problems that some of other folks have reported with their CMMGs RDB systems.  I did replace the ejector spring with the latest available from CMMG just to be safe.

Bad thing about Glock fed 9MM ARs is that there is no mil spec that I'm aware of.  Bet if I added up all the parts I broke and swapped into/out of my Franken AR, I could have bought one of the high dollar ARs that are now on the market.

So if you want to build, I'd say go with as many Macon Armory parts as you can.  Although I've never dealt with Rudy, he's got a great rep on the forum and he seems to be the go to guy for all 9MM blowbacks.  Plus he guarantees his stuff.

But if you want to avoid slamming the door repeatedly on your soft fleshy parts, buy don't build.   Research the warranties for companies that make a complete 9MM AR and then buy one of those.  My vote would be for an CMMG RDB model.

Good luck,
Pete

Franken AR

CMMG Banshee

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CMMG Banshee
View Quote
+1.  Just get a BBL/BCG combo and then source all the other parts YOU like.
No offense but I don't see what the big deal is with the Noveske Space Invader.  It is still a straight blowback 9mm AR.  Don't see any real innovation there.  I also don't see what the big deal is with having a flapper mag release.  I know it still has the push button but I would just never use the flapper...too used to using the button on all my AR variants.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#9]
No offense but I don't see what the big deal is with the Noveske Space Invader.
View Quote

Some folks just drunk on brand name.  If it costs a lot it much be gud.......
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Another one here for buying vs building.  It's very easy to spend more on a direct blowback build that straight out buy the completed unit.  Little stuff ads up and you'll still need to constantly fiddle with it to get it running right.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Isn’t Aero coming out with AR 9mm parts?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another one here for buying vs building.  It's very easy to spend more on a direct blowback build that straight out buy the completed unit.  Little stuff ads up and you'll still need to constantly fiddle with it to get it running right.
View Quote

I built mine for a hair over 500 bucks and it runs flawlessly, so.......
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think I spent that much on broken bolt catches (not that I wanted to).
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, I have a higher end blowback mixmaster 9mm that cost a pretty penny at the time.

QC10 early production lower
Noveske Chainsaw upper
Noveske Pig
Giesielle MLOK handguard, etc.

Guess what... My $1200 blowback is sewing machine, very smooth, but still a blowback gun. Tuning the recoil impulse and a good trigger doesn’t make it roller lock however.

Maybe I have some buyer’s remorse, but suggest realism in how far you can push the AR blowback until you go to gas. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#15]
My advice after a guy who has spent thousands over the years on 9mm AR configurations...don’t.

I love the AR platform like no other but 9mm is not its forte. I suggest taking the money and throwing it towards a gun built from the ground up. I finally bought a HK SP5 late last year and have no regrets or wants to do 9mm in the AR flavor.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about posting a parts list then for us that are not that gifted.
Otherwise your post is sort of meaningless.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How about posting a parts list then for us that are not that gifted.
Otherwise your post is sort of meaningless.
View Quote

Jeez, so demanding.  This was before covid pricing and most on sale.

PSA Stealth lower $40
PSA lower build kit, EPT, MOE, SBA3 $130
Durkin billlet upper $50
Faxon bolt $105
Aero charging handle $15
F/M 6.5 oz buffer $20
Aim Sport 10" handguard $50
BA 8.3" 9mm barrel $85
KAK flashcan $25
Endomag insert $25
5 quarters $1.25

Plus shipping

Wow, 2 whole posts in 8 years?  Hmmm.  What else have you had to contribute?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Damn....I've broken one bolt catch in the last 15 years on one of my guns....and it was a prototype.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I spent that much on broken bolt catches (not that I wanted to).

Damn....I've broken one bolt catch in the last 15 years on one of my guns....and it was a prototype.....

Just trying to support the AR industry.

Bragging does not become you, Rudy.  I take back all the good things I’ve said about you before.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#21]
FWIW, I changed a medium priced DIY assembly of an AR9 into a high end priced version just by adding a true holographic sight.  Accessories are what do you in.
Safely enjoy what ever you decide to assemble.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I have really enjoyed building my AR9 and so much tinkering but that's what I enjoy. Mine actually ran great from the start but was inaccurate as hell at first. For fun I first bought a cheap Ozark green dot just to see how I would like the green. I could zero it & then it'd be shooting all over the place. After they replaced it 3 times I  tried to just put my Meprolight tru dot on it and figured out the picatinny rail on my billet upper was out of spec and couldn't even mount the Meprolight. So Guntec replaced the upper receiver and I shot a while with my Meprolight which has always been outstanding.  Damn same issue, patterned like a shotgun. Decided my Spinta barrel was the problem and sent to them to look at. They drug ass looking at it and in the meantime I bought a BA barrel. Rebuilt again and voila the accuracy problem was solved but the BA barrel did not feed good. So off to Rudy to do his magic on the feed cone. Meanwhile Spinta said they test fired the barrel and found no problem but offered to replace it. Covid hit and they never did. Got my barrel back from Rudy reassembled  with a new Holosun green dot and now it feeds, is accurate and I built from the get go with a Taccom pcc 2 stage buffer and it is a pleasure to shoot.

And Rudy's fine handiwork!

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Andro Corp built this New Frontier Armory billet lower with Law folder for me, a few months ago, and I'm considering an upper for it. Have tried to get a matching NFA upper since then, without success, so I ordered a Odin Works billet upper, yesterday. Sounds like I need to talk to Rudy about one of his 9mm barrels. Since I have a Law folder, I'll most likely go with a Stern Defense BCG. Will a CMC 2.5lb Stage 1 match trigger work in this NFA lower?

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top