Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2019 4:37:57 PM EDT
A bit of a unusual Question,

I live in Australia and am one of the 1% of firearm owners in my State permitted to own a semi-auto rifle, am looking to get an AR style rifle out of the US but am having difficulty in finding a dealer that has the licences and willingness to export.

I know you guys have a bit of an AR15 culture over there, and as someone from the outside with no brand loyalty and looking at just the specs, functionally and price, I have decided that something from Aero Precision best suits my needs, especially given the poor exchange rate and duties I will need to pay my side.

Question is, does anyone know of a dealer who would be able to obtain the rifle, or stocks Aero Precision and can export to an individual out of the states, Aero will only export to a dealer and the one dealer here that would do that will no longer import from them, some bad blood for some reason.

Did look at the Dealer/Manufacture forum which is quite extensive, but there seems no way to post something where they can all see it, and I would have to ask each one individually, thought this might make for an easier first step.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you with that, but what about importing from New Zealand?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Not from personal experience, but I would try AIM Surplus, I know they bring things in from overseas and may be willing to go the extra mile to see if they can get you something legally.  They are also here on the site.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd ask Brownells' customer service - they may be able to help you. They sell in many countries.
https://www.brownells.com/
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are only going to be able to get one rifle, my suggestion would be to get a Colt 6920.  It is a classic AR and will serve you well for years to come.  Many people consider it the standard in which other AR rifles are judged.  They can be had for under $1,000 USD.  Of course you will have to go through the process to get it exported to Australia.

I googled and found this place.  No idea how good they are, but their website mentioned they have experience exporting guns from the U.S. to Australia:
https://www.borderview.com/services/for-individuals/usa-firearm-export-service/
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't get stuck on Aero Precision.  China makes an AR rifle as well, popular in Canada and NZ, heard SA as well.

NZ gets a fair amount of ARs, as mentioned.

What's the hoops you had to jump through to get the super special aemi-auto license?

Might check w/ I Run Guns.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
There are export agencies, who will export locate and export from the USA the gun you are after.
It's not the cheapest thing in the world. (for example; the Export licence is the same cost, regardless of number of guns)
But you can and will get exactly what you are after.

But Also; Consider Canada and Europe as sources for AR15's

I assume one of the NZ companies would sell you an AR15.

Likely you could buy a neutered AR on while holiday (visitor Licence), and figure out how to get it back.
[I have never moved guns between NZ and Australia, other than in my luggage, travelling with them]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wouldn't get stuck on Aero Precision.  China makes an AR rifle as well, popular in Canada and NZ, heard SA as well.

NZ gets a fair amount of ARs, as mentioned.

What's the hoops you had to jump through to get the super special aemi-auto license?

Might check w/ I Run Guns.
View Quote
have looked at the stuff at GunCity in NZ, they do have a reasonable selection but there is something wrong when the price of a mini 14 is the same in $NZ as it is here in $AU but the AR's are $1000 dollars more then the limited selection that I can get here, seems that NZ must have an AR Tax. Am Looking further afield in Aus, but costs just keep increasing the further afield I go.

Aero was the only major manufacturer that had everything I wanted in 1 package, have found others like Core 15, Windham Weaponary and PSA, but if I couldn't get an Aero imported than I'm sure it will be impossible from a smaller less known manufacturer.

Have spoken to the major Wholesaler of firearms here, did find something from Savage that I would be happy with, they said that because it is such a small market they have no interest in bringing in those models even if I could find a dealer who would order it. So basically left to do it all myself.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd ask Brownells' customer service - they may be able to help you. They sell in many countries.
https://www.brownells.com/
View Quote
Thanks, that was my first stop if I couldn't work out anything here in Aus, only issue is that in this situation the paperwork requirements differ between countries and special adjustments and permissions need to be worked out, unfortunately not as easy as importing a centrefire bolt action rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]
What a pain!  If you can get you an upper, buffer, and FCS, you can whittle the lower/stock/buffer tube.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know who would be able to legally export to a dealer near you. But if you get all that worked out, personally with all the expenses and hassle. I would advise you to go with a higher level rifle. Not talking anything bad about Aero, just seems you should make it worth the effort with a better rifle choice. Just my personal opinion, I'm no authority on AR rifles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe Noveske has an export license. They are high quality.

Because of the hoops and added expenses it doesn't make any sense to buy an economy model. Look at any of the following:

Knight's Armament Co.
Lewis Machine Tool (LMT)
Daniel Defense
LWRC
Noveske

Mid gas or rifle gas systems are better than carbine IMO.

Stainless steel barrels are better IMO.

1/7 to 1/8 should be the only barrel option you consider IMO.

Getting an upgraded trigger already included will save you headaches later should you want one.

Good Luck. Your post makes me even more greatful for the liberties we enjoy. It's easy to forget and take them for granted.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:28:18 AM EDT
[#12]
BTW - forget about the Core-15.

Wyndham Weaponry makes a decent mil spec rifle, so does Colt. Pay attention to the barrel twist rates when ordering, you don't want a 1/9 for your only rifle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#13]
this sounds like its gonna be a major pain in the ass for you so my only suggestion is to get the best you can the first time.

knights armament sr15 mod 2.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top