Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2021 3:49:19 PM EDT
Hi Folks,

So, I took my new AR to the range yesterday.  Thought I'd done my research on sighting in an Eotech but apparently not.  I must be doing something wrong.  I got her dialed in at 10 yards. Totally on point.  I set the target to 20 yards out and now my shots are low.  Brought the target back to 10 yards and was still spot on.  I realize that distance is going to effect trajectory, but I'd no clue that there would be such a drastic effect switching back and forth between 10 and 20 yards.  As mentioned, I suspect that I'm doing something wrong.  Insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
-J
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know how you could be on a 10 and low at 20.  

You need to zero at 50 or 100 so you can hit things without a bunch of crazy hold under at 50-200 yards.

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes ^^^^

I use a 10 yard to be on paper, mainly left-right and them move out to 50 yards for red dot and EOTech sight in.

Make sure the EOTech is tight on the rail/mount before you start.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
In order for the EOtech reticle to work properly, it is designed to be sighted in at 50 yards. You can sight it in at whatever distance you choose, but the hold over/unders will be different. With a 50 yard zero, targets closer to you, you'll hold the dot slightly above your intended point of impact.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In order for the EOtech reticle to work properly, it is designed to be sighted in at 50 yards. You can sight it in at whatever distance you choose, but the hold over/unders will be different. With a 50 yard zero, targets closer to you, you'll hold the dot slightly above your intended point of impact.

https://i.imgur.com/hTsE0yl.jpg
View Quote

Thanks man!  That's helpful information!  The gun range near me unfortunately only has 25 yard lanes.  I suppose that will have to do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks man!  That's helpful information!  The gun range near me unfortunately only has 25 yard lanes.  I suppose that will have to do.
View Quote

Take a look at this thread for zeroing targets (including ones to zero for 50 at 25)
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Take a look at this thread for zeroing targets (including ones to zero for 50 at 25)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I would stick to a 50/200 or a 100 yard zero.

What I do with all my AR's is pull the upper off. Removed the BCG. Place the upper on a table pointing at a target that is at the distance I want to zero. Look down the barrel and center the target. Then move the reticle on the sight to match. I keep checking between the sight and barrel until I think I've got it.

Then I shoot and adjust. If I'm doing a 50 or 100 yard zero, I'm normally dead on using that method and don't even need to adjust it. But I also have 20/20 vision staring down the tube.

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don’t know how you could be on a 10 and low at 20.  

View Quote

Wild guess: zero at 10yards , the barrel is essentially flat.  Round is already falling by 20?  I'm sure someone will correct me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wild guess: zero at 10yards , the barrel is essentially flat.  Round is already falling by 20?  I'm sure someone will correct me.
View Quote

No. Consider the distance between centerline of the optic and centerline of the bore.
A 10yd zero would have the barrel pointed upwards at 20.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got her dialed in at 10 yards. Totally on point.  I set the target to 20 yards out and now my shots are low.  
View Quote

What you just described is physically impossible.  You need to work on your fundamentals of marksmanship; particularly maintaining a consistent sight-picture.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wild guess: zero at 10yards , the barrel is essentially flat.  Round is already falling by 20?
View Quote

The bullet is "falling" the instant it leaves the barrel.

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:56:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember an EoTech being a 32 yard zero (25 will work just fine to establish 100 & 200 yard holds) and then you just keep in mind where your hits on paper are at various distances out to the effective one shot kill range of the 5.56 ( not really that far unless you feel comfortable giving up your position ).
At most you’ll take down a hog with one shot at 200 yards so just remember where you hold at 100 and two hundred yards. That’s it!! Anything 100 yards and in is basically minute to torso triple taps and ya just surround that torso with that giant EoTech donut and fire away. Not much to it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The bullet is rising for a while once it leaves the barrel and then starts to fall there after.  Hence the 50/200 yard zero.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The bullet is rising for a while once it leaves the barrel and then starts to fall there after.  Hence the 50/200 yard zero.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should quit while you're behind.

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#15]
If the barrel were level with the ground then the bullet would fall the instant it left the barrel, at the same rate it would if you dropped it. If the barrel were pointed slightly upward, as it is when you sight it in, then it will rise up in an arc before falling back to earth. If the barrel were pointed towards the ground it would fall to the earth at a much faster rate lol.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:22:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep in mind that the sights on the AR are pretty far above the line of the barrel.  An optic is designed to co witness with the irons, so it is also considerably higher than the bore.  Mechanical offset is a very real thing with ARs at close range.  Don't even try to get a usable zero that close.  I like a 50 yard zero.  It gives me the flattest possible trajectory for the majority of shots I might take with my rifle.  I'm not reaching out past 300 yards with these guns.  My standard practice when I get a new rifle and don't have access to a 50 yard range is to zero about an inch and a half low at 25.  That USUALLY gets me pretty close at 50.  I then go to a 50 yard range at my first opportunity to fine tune the zero.  The rough zero has always been close enough that I'd have been minute of bad guy at any justifiable home defense range.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that the sights on the AR are pretty far above the line of the barrel.  An optic is designed to co witness with the irons, so it is also considerably higher than the bore.  Mechanical offset is a very real thing with ARs at close range.  Don't even try to get a usable zero that close.  I like a 50 yard zero.  It gives me the flattest possible trajectory for the majority of shots I might take with my rifle.  I'm not reaching out past 300 yards with these guns.  My standard practice when I get a new rifle and don't have access to a 50 yard range is to zero about an inch and a half low at 25.  That USUALLY gets me pretty close at 50.  I then go to a 50 yard range at my first opportunity to fine tune the zero.  The rough zero has always been close enough that I'd have been minute of bad guy at any justifiable home defense range.
View Quote

Ah, that makes perfect sense actually.  That explains a lot, to include why the gunsmith had a chuckle while I was zeroing in at 5 yards, lol.  Thanks for taking the time for the explanation!  Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I once had bullets made of flubber that would do that, the hold-unders were inconsistent though so I abandoned that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hi Folks,

So, I took my new AR to the range yesterday.  Thought I'd done my research on sighting in an Eotech but apparently not.  I must be doing something wrong.  I got her dialed in at 10 yards. Totally on point.  I set the target to 20 yards out and now my shots are low.  Brought the target back to 10 yards and was still spot on.  I realize that distance is going to effect trajectory, but I'd no clue that there would be such a drastic effect switching back and forth between 10 and 20 yards.  As mentioned, I suspect that I'm doing something wrong.  Insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
-J
View Quote

Use the 25 yard red dot target for 50 yard zero here: http://www.arma-dynamics.com/red-dot-zero-targets.html

It's quite effective and you should confirm 50 yard zero at a longer range. Use a magnifier behind that EOTech to help.

The beauty if an EOTech is the automatic offset for closer targets. You use the bottom of the circle for offset.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Science is a bitch and a half
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top