Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2020 3:26:29 PM EDT

This pistol runs flawless and is fun to shoot. I first tried it with this cheap red/green dot and cheap folding sights. I think the cantilever mount was fubared so I ran it a while with a Meprolight Tru Dot RDS. The Meprolight just seemed too heavy for the little pistol and I moved it to a new 12.5 5.56 upper.
   Then I tried it a while with the current fixed sights only on it. Maybe I should have just tried a carry handle instead of the chopped rear sight. It just lacks the cool factor I want.
I decided to order a regular extra high mount to try, not the cantilevered one. Plus I didn't like the absolute co witness of the cantilevered mount. Maybe once the new mount comes I will be okay with the fixed rear or may try a slim pop up rear.
 If I'm not happy with that I may just order a carry handle rear sight, or a 20 mm Holosun (I like a green dot). I have a nice mount for it. I just keep waffling wasting money trying to figure this out.

BTW it has the Blitzkrieg chevron glow front post on a Troy HK style sight. I love it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig Romeo 5
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Fixed sights and an optic?  One or the other, or get flip up sights.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fixed sights and an optic?  One or the other, or get flip up sights.
View Quote
I just bolted the dot back on yesterday playing. If the new higher mount does not give me much clearer picture I will put a flip up sight back on the back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I just bolted the dot back on yesterday playing. If the new higher mount does not give me much clearer picture I will put a flip up sight back on the back.
View Quote
What make of fixed rear sight is that?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What make of fixed rear sight is that?
View Quote
UTG Slim Rear Fixed sight

I like it. It seems well made and does not have a huge thumbnut on it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

UTG Slim Rear Fixed sight

I like it. It seems well made and does not have a huge thumbnut on it.
View Quote
Does it hold zero?  Been thinking of an iron sight build.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes it holds zero. I think if I was doing the full fixed sight again. I would have gone with a carry handle though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I got in a higher riser and popped a cheap flip up rear sight on just to see if I would like the higher mount better. If I can get the dot sight to hold true with this mount I think I'll be happy here after putting on a good rear sight.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I got a chance to shoot it today. It did group much better with the Vortex mount. Added a KAG afg which scales nicely with the shorter barrel. Ultimately I  will probably get a compact 20mm dot. I also have an SBM4 brace I really like in my 300BO. I may swap the SBA3 on here for an SBA4. I swear in this gun any ammo change drastically changes POI ! I just need to really stock up on one ammo. Maybe 147 gr American Eagle.

That 1911 is a 9mm Magnum Research 4". I really like it. Heck I can almost shoot it as well as the 8" AR9!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a little spendy but not nearly as much as an EoTech but I'm really digging the Holosun 510 I recently installed on my 5.56 pistol and tempted to get a second one for the 9mm upper I'm about to build.  I may pinch it for now to try it.  Oh darn, might have to waste a day off at the range re sighting it in.  Sounds like a great excuse to me

Your build looks good.  I'm not a fan of the fixed sights and an optic cowitnessed or lower 1/3.  I have flip sights on most of mine in case the optic fails but I never use them concurrently.  YMMV.

Best of luck sorting it out.

Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sig Romeo 5
View Quote
This.  Clear it off.  Throw on a Romeo 5 and go play.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Now I am getting somewhere! If I could only get my replacement barrel back in a hurry lol!

I got a Holosun HE 403 GL-GR green dot on sale from Joe Bob. I am really impressed with this little sight.
 I decided after every type of sight and mounts I tried that my barrel had to be bad. It was not loose in the receiver either. I had hell removing the barrel. Before I name the barrel brand. Let me see how they treat me on getting it replaced. They have it now and are supposed to look at it. I could get about the first five cold shots to group well, then it would throw fliers like a shotgun! At 20 yards it was throwing 5" fliers and always had.

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there a reason you need BUIS?

If not, get rid of them and use a red dot (or similar) only.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:04:09 AM EDT
[#14]
What upper receiver is that?  I like the smooth style. I have a 45 build that would look good on.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What upper receiver is that?  I like the smooth style. I have a 45 build that would look good on.
View Quote
It's made by Guntec.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there a reason you need BUIS?

If not, get rid of them and use a red dot (or similar) only.
View Quote
But Arfcom tells me I will die a horrible death without BUIS!
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thats funny, I  heard the same thing about...

Using a BAD lever.
Using any kind of magwell grip accessory.
Grippjng the magwell, with or without a magwell grip accessory.
Having a forward assist on a PCC.
Using an Anderson lower.
Using anything else from Anderson.
Using ANY optic below "Trijicon" level quality. (Amazon optics kill you AND your extended family, btw...)
Aluminum mags.
Polymer mags.
Non-OEM (insert manufacturer here) mags.
Anything from UTG.
Anything with a brace instead of SBR'd.
Using aluminum cased ammo... in anything.
Using steel cased ammo.
Shooting steel from less than (enter arbitrary number) feet away.
Using any Condor web gear product.
Using any pistol that costs less than $(enter arbitrary number).
Using any firearm for SD unless you have put (enter arbitrary number) rounds through it first.
Using less than a 5.5 oz. buffer in a 9mm PCC. (Oh wait... that one's from me!  Dammit...)
Owning a binary type trigger, or anything that may accelerate your rate of fire. (Kills your dog, too.)
Changing ANY parts in a SD gun.
Using anything not specifically labeled as "mil-spec".
And...
Carrying anything chambered in a caliber that doesn't start with a (enter arbitrary number).

Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Using a BAD lever.
Using an Anderson lower.
Using ANY optic below "Trijicon" level quality. (Amazon optics kill you AND your extended family, btw...)
Aluminum mags.
Polymer mags.
Anything from UTG.
Using steel cased ammo.
Using any firearm for SD unless you have put (enter arbitrary number) rounds through it first.
Using less than a 5.5 oz. buffer in a 9mm PCC. (Oh wait... that one's from me!  Dammit...)
Owning a binary type trigger, or anything that may accelerate your rate of fire. (Kills your dog, too.)
And...
Carrying anything chambered in a caliber that doesn't start with a (enter arbitrary number).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using a BAD lever.
Using an Anderson lower.
Aluminum mags.
Polymer mags.
Anything from UTG.
Using steel cased ammo.
And...

You forgot anything KAC or Colt.

Anyway, ditch the BUIS. For real.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You forgot anything KAC or Colt.

Anyway, ditch the BUIS. For real.
View Quote

The only thing I've ever used my BUIS for is checking the zero of my red dot when I remove/replace it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#20]
BUIS are staying. I actually find even with 1/3 lower co witness that with the front sight deployed it helps me find the dot faster when I raise the gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#21]
fair enough
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
If they replace my barrel now with one that will group decent. Or if I have to buy another that will, I will finally be very happy in this configuration.

Then I will move on to a 11.5" A1 style 22LR pistol I am stoked about.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay, so I ordered a new KAK 8"barrel instead of waiting on the other company. This one shoots! It groups great!

Only thing I ordered a new metalform mag that won't feed, gotta try to figure it out. My Brownell Metalforms and ASC mags feed this barrel fine.

I dinged up that upper some beating the old tight fitting barrel out. I got me some Birchwood Casey touch up black coming.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Well alrighty now I'm happy!

I figured while I had it broke down I
needed to send Rudy Koester, aka @Mad-Machinist, aka Macon Armory my barrel to get it right. I wish I had taken before and after pics of this feed cone. Rudy did an absolutely beautiful job machining and polishing my feed cone!

While Rudy was doing his magic, I had a little fun doing my first simple rattlecan job. I can't wait to play some freedom music now! What a great resource we have here at Arfcom in this little pistol caliber subforum to have @Mad-Machinist to help us out. The work he did for me was outstanding,  fast and very reasonable!

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top