Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2021 12:45:10 PM EDT
I am trying to figure out what model M16A1 this rifle is. It seems to be configured like a Model 711 but that is a M16A2 and this one is marked M16A1. The rifle seems to have all original Colt parts. As you can see from the picture it is marked M16A1 with a 9 million serial number. It has an A1 upper with teardrop forward assist and no case deflector. The barrel is a 20" 1:7" A2 barrel (can't tell if it is HBAR or not) with what appears to be an A2 flash hider and a round ribbed handguard. The stock is an A2. Assuming it is in its original factory configuration, What Colt model is it? Has anyone seen such a configuration? The person I purchased it from has owned it since the mid 1990s. He believes that it may have come from the Arkansas State Police. I am stumped.

Dan

Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Transferable? What do you know about its history? I have doubt about it being in its original configuration,  but with Colt, it could be possible. Cool rifle, regardless.

ETA, I somehow missed the part about its history. Maybe try to FOIA its transfer history. If  it originally was sold to ASP, then there is a higher chance that it came in its current configuration. Colt had a lot of variation within model numbers, outside of US military contract sales.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Transferable. The rifle looks like a Model 711, but with an A1 lower receiver. The 20" barrel, has "C" and "MP" 5.56 NATO 1/7 stamped on it. It is clearly Colt as are all of the other parts. Why would someone swap barrels when a complete upper would be easily available? All of the furniture is also A2. It is a weird duck. It is a Colt commercial gun.

So, why do you doubt that it is in its original configuration?

Dan
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Transferable? What do you know about its history? I have doubt about it being in its original configuration,  but with Colt, it could be possible. Cool rifle, regardless.

ETA, I somehow missed the part about its history. Maybe try to FOIA its transfer history. If  it originally was sold to ASP, then there is a higher chance that it came in its current configuration. Colt had a lot of variation within model numbers, outside of US military contract sales.
View Quote

It is almost like they built rifles with whatever parts were laying around.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Dan
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dan
Exactly!
I first thought that it was was an M16A1 that was rebarreled, with
an M16A2 barrel,  and equipped with A2 furniture. It is not inconceivable that an agency with a limited budget would upgrade, or have Colt upgrade their rifles this way. I'm pretty sure that the US Air Force, and many National Guard units did something similar in that era.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Its funny though in that I wouldn’t consider any of those things “upgrades”. Ok, maybe the hand guards and the brass deflector if you’re a lefty but I prefer the A1 grip and stock and while the A2 barrel is nice for sustained full auto fire I would prefer the pencil profile in general.

The one big improvement of the A2 was the sights which that gun is lacking so it’s like it got lots of the bad A2 stuff but kept the bad A1 stuff.

When I was in basic in 1989 we had a weird hodge podge of stuff similar to that rifle but that was stuff being used hard and I’m sure most was a result of things being replaced due to wear or breakage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Guessing 616
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there a barrel mfg date under the hg?

Even if it’s true that Colt would build any configuration requested by the customer My guess is it has been upgraded during its life…

Link Posted: 9/8/2021 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I am pretty certain it was not "upgraded" because of wear. The gun looks too good, inside and out to have required a rebuild. It was only "in service" for about 15 years before my seller acquired it. I would go with the assumption of original Colt factory rifle. Just what factory rifle, I do not yet know.

Dan

Link Posted: 9/8/2021 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
My bet: It’s a Colt Model 613 (commercial/export version of 603), M16A1 produced in the 1970’s, which was “updated” with A2 furniture and barrel in the mid to late 1980s. This was a very common practice in that time period. These modifications are incredibly easy for anyone with basic AR wrenching experience.

Also my bet: It wasn’t “updated” due to wear, it was updated because the AR Police administration wanted to update their rifles, and had the money in their budget to make that happen.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I think it more likely that Colt fulfilled orders with whatever parts they had available. I’m just wondering if anyone else has one similarly configured. From that, I may be able to put together some provenance.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally, I think it more likely that Colt fulfilled orders with whatever parts they had available. I’m just wondering if anyone else has one similarly configured. From that, I may be able to put together some provenance.

Dan
View Quote

That was a common practice with some SP1 rifles.

Not sure about NFA items.. a leftover 70’s (?) lower receiver mated with mid 80’s or 90’s barrel & stock & handguard seems odd
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess the question is when was the receiver manufactured? I'm pretty sure that the 9 million serial number guns are just commercial M16A1s that used the 9 as a prefix. I know that the 8 million guns are M16A2 (counterintuitive I know) that use 8 as a prefix (I had 8000624 last year). Colt used left over serial numbers in the Model 602 range to build commercial select fire AR15s that had the features of the 603. They were marked AR-15, Cal. .223. Mine was sn 039882. So, Colt commercial guns seem like an odd mix and afterthought when compared to the various distinct military models. I acknowledge the possibility that the Ark. State Police upgraded the barrel and furniture on this rifle. I just don't understand why they would do that by changing the barrel and not the whole upper itself. I need a former Ark. State trooper to tell me something.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine is 9.5 million sn range and it was made in the early 70’s

Maybe is was easier to find spare barrels than complete uppers in early 90’s… just a guess
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Definitely a weird little gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#15]
How do you know the manufacture date? Do you have a reference book that provides manufacture dates? I have that information for other Colt firearms but not M16s.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I was checking this chart and could not find any specific model number with that configuration. Of course, this is not to say that this may not be some variant that Colt produced under another model number that already existed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Assuming it is in its original factory configuration, What Colt model is it?
View Quote
715, if that's not an HBAR barrel.

(715 had A2 government profile barrel, and 711 had A1 profile barrel.)
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
715, if that's not an HBAR barrel.

(715 had A2 government profile barrel, and 711 had A1 profile barrel.)
View Quote

The 715 was made by Colt Canada (Diemaco) and has unique markings. I wish this was one of those. The 702 and 711 are configured like this gun except they use an M16A2 marked lower. This thing was either special ordered or was a standard A1 that was re-barreled. I don't know which but I am continuing to look.

If Colt did letters on machineguns, I would likely just spring for one of those.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 715 was made by Colt Canada (Diemaco) and has unique markings. I wish this was one of those. The 702 and 711 are configured like this gun except they use an M16A2 marked lower. This thing was either special ordered or was a standard A1 that was re-barreled. I don't know which but I am continuing to look.
View Quote
Does that account for all 715 production?
Were none manufactured in the US for commercial sale to LE?

The 702 had 3 round burst, and the 711 used an A1 profile barrel, according to the chart linked by @jrs93accord.

I support the theory that it's been reconfigured.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an M16A1 carbine (either 9.4 or 9.5 mil range) shipped from Colt circa 1982. Can't get to the gun or box right now to confirm (postage label is still on it....if the silverfish ain't et it yet). My rifle is 9.1 mil range. Dunno when it was shipped, but I'm hoping the 1970's. No box : (
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I’ll give you a call later this week to catch up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Fantastic information. At this point, I am operating on the premise that this is in fact a factory built gun in its original configuration. I am looking for evidence greater than "Colt did some crazy shit from time to time."
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fantastic information. At this point, I am operating on the premise that this is in fact a factory built gun in its original configuration. I am looking for evidence greater than "Colt did some crazy shit from time to time."
View Quote
I think it's more likely it was a commercial M16A1 that someone upgraded with a new barrel and furniture.

Colt did use some A1 lowers and teardrop forward assists on "A2" models (as have been documented on authentic 723 models, for example) but I believe those still received A2 roll marks. Not sure though.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top