BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2021 7:27:26 PM EDT
I have an SR15 upper that I put a Vortex SPARC-AR on... when I tightened down the mounting screw, the head of the torx screw broke off... leaving me with an optic seemingly permanently affixed to my SR15 upper.  I can't back the screw out because there's no head on it, and I certainly don't want to try to drill it out and risk my SR15 upper.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Gently cut through the aluminum side of the mount shown in the picture either just above the rail or just under (i would go just under)?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Left hand drill bit would be my first choice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Drill bit and 10 minutes time will right that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally worked up the courage to just drill it out.  It worked fine.  Drilled just enough, then punched it through with a steel punch.  Didn't scratch the upper at all.

Thanks guys.

Now to get Vortex to send me a new screw... that hopefully doesn't break this time
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry Roger , You Tiger Now !
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a lesson.  No more Chicom optics on anything Knights.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I know right?   What are you doing putting that thing back on there OP?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I’d throw what’s left of the optic in the trash and not buy anymore Vortex garbage.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Vortex sparc on an SR15, that is a travesty. Glad you got it off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a  Vortex Sparc AR on a BCM frankengun that I use for plinking. I dont think I'd put one on a KAC rifle. In fact, I dont think I'd put one on my frankengun again. It hasn't given me any issues, but I think I'd rather just save up for an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What are you doing putting that thing back on there OP?
View Quote

It's my placeholder until I can save a little more for a T-2.  It's what I happened to have lying around in the bin.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's my placeholder until I can save a little more for a T-2.  It's what I happened to have lying around in the bin.
View Quote

Have you been able to shoot it? I wonder about folks that pinch pennies for nice rifles but what about ammo costs?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy Crap!  I just put the same optic on a KAC.  Does anyone one make a QD mount for the Sparc which works?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#14]
For anyone else with this problem and scared to use a drill, d.wilson will laser a slot in the screw for removal.

Obviously longer to send it in, but arguably safer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I won’t argue national pride, or the value of an Aimpoint - but I will say that I’ve beat those Vortex up and they keep on running.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I won’t argue national pride, or the value of an Aimpoint - but I will say that I’ve beat those Vortex up and they keep on running.
View Quote

Just the mounting bolt quits running.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]
You shouldn’t have to tighten any optic down enough to break a screw. Maybe get a torque driver.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
This is not GD
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure.....  
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Holy Crap!  I just put the same optic on a KAC.  Does anyone one make a QD mount for the Sparc which works?
View Quote

An ARMS 31 QD base will work & Midwest Industries makes a QD mount for the SPARC AR.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sure.....  
View Quote

Who are you to call the guy a liar?

He came here for help. He got it. No need to be a jerk.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sure.....  
View Quote

Lol wtf.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Edit. oops looks like you have it covered.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Now to get Vortex to send me a new screw... that hopefully doesn't break this time
View Quote

Hopefully you won't over tighten it this time....

Hint: chinky fasteners will only take half the torque of a quality one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

An ARMS 31 QD base will work & Midwest Industries makes a QD mount for the SPARC AR.
View Quote

Thank you very much! I just ordered the Midwest QD mount!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#26]
ACOG that bad boy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#27]
If you are going to run optics with the holosun/low end vortex style clamp mount, cheap insurance is a wheeler fat wrench.

They’re fine if you properly torque them.  The issues arise when you over torque those style mounts, which isn’t hard to do.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aimpoint RDS for a KAC.  

SR15 deserves nothing else in that vein.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Have you been able to shoot it? I wonder about folks that pinch pennies for nice rifles but what about ammo costs?
View Quote

Yeah, I've only got a few hundred through it so far, but plan on shooting it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Who are you to call the guy a liar?

He came here for help. He got it. No need to be a jerk.

View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#31]
UPDATE:

Vortex Customer service was great.  Sent a new mount right away.  Also, apparently, there are some good aftermarket QD mounts for it that I might look at.

I'm for sure purchasing a torque-limiting screwdriver thing so that I don't over-torque it again.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sure.....  
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have an SR15 upper that I put a Vortex SPARC-AR on... when I tightened down the mounting screw, the head of the torx screw broke off... leaving me with an optic seemingly permanently affixed to my SR15 upper.  I can't back the screw out because there's no head on it, and I certainly don't want to try to drill it out and risk my SR15 upper.

Any ideas?

https://i.imgur.com/2HfbEb9.jpg
View Quote

That is what happens when you buy junk...
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:36:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I’d throw what’s left of the optic in the trash and not buy anymore Vortex garbage.
View Quote

QFT

Been there. Tried that. Never again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aimpoints have been burned in a house fire and keep on running. Not sure a Vortex can say that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm getting the replacement screw from vortex soon, anyone know what it's actually supposed to be torqued to so I don't snap it off again?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Vortex will give you that and they are very responsive.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#38]
KAC has an evolutionary defense against cheap BS trying to attach itself to it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#39]
There is a reason Vortex has great Customer Service.

They do it a lot.  

Pretty much everything I've bought from them has had to go back for some reason.  

Factor in time, aggravation, ammunition to re-zero an optic has made this wash - rinse - repeat no longer worth it to me.

Finally sold my last piece of Vortex after getting a NIB scope back in a week after sending them one with a minor, but obvious issue.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm getting the replacement screw from vortex soon, anyone know what it's actually supposed to be torqued to so I don't snap it off again?
View Quote

I don’t know the exact specs from vortex so I feel a little reluctant to reply but I would say around 15-18 inch lbs, not ft lbs, with some blue lock tight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

Vortex Customer service was great.  Sent a new mount right away.  Also, apparently, there are some good aftermarket QD mounts for it that I might look at.

I'm for sure purchasing a torque-limiting screwdriver thing so that I don't over-torque it again.
View Quote

OP:  I received the Midwest mount the other day from Midway and it was a perfect swap for the factory mount without the stupid torx screw mount (still need to use the 4 torx mounting screws from the original mount but that is a one and done).  I am very happy and its a game changer for the real deficiency in this system IMHO.

The original mount went into the box and that is were it will stay.  I suggest you do the same.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

OP:  I received the Midwest mount the other day from Midway and it was a perfect swap for the factory mount without the stupid torx screw mount (still need to use the 4 torx mounting screws from the original mount but that is a one and done).  I am very happy and its a game changer for the real deficiency in this system IMHO.

The original mount went into the box and that is were it will stay.  I suggest you do the same.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Time to throw up a Vortex pic to counter all the Vortex hate
My SPARC AR has been great with a ADM QD mount. Battery life has been good.
When it dies someday... it's get a Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#44]
There is nothing wrong with Poortex stuff....You just don't put one on anything Knights Armament.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Steve Fisher would say a lot of you are wrong about Vortex and KAC.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Wow...sounds like I need to work on my elitism...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Aimpoint RDS for a KAC.  

SR15 deserves nothing else in that vein.
View Quote

I will have to go with this, an Aimpoiint M4S in a Geissele mount would be perfect.   This is what I have on my Mod 1 and really considering swapiiing out the optic on the Mod 2 and going with a M4S
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#48]
This is funny, the AR crowd poo-pooing a less expensive viable option. I agree the stock mounting system sucks for the Sparc but quite frankly so does, say, the mounting system on the Aimpoint magnifier mount to a lesser extent because it is not QD either.  And while I have no issue with the large knob mount on the Aimpoint CompM4 series, I bet there are those that would say it sucks and that was never a "cheap" optic.  I have looked at Geissele mounts that get so much praise, but for those dollars they are not DQ so I have no interest.  Dont get me wrong, I use Aimpoints and have for 20 years, but there are other options.  YMMV of course.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is funny, the AR crowd poo-pooing a less expensive viable option. I agree the stock mounting system sucks for the Sparc but quite frankly so does, say, the mounting system on the Aimpoint magnifier mount to a lesser extent because it is not QD either.  And while I have no issue with the large knob mount on the Aimpoint CompM4 series, I bet there are those that would say it sucks and that was never a "cheap" optic.  I have looked at Geissele mounts that get so much praise, but for those dollars they are not DQ so I have no interest.  Dont get me wrong, I use Aimpoints and have for 20 years, but there are other options.  YMMV of course.

View Quote

AP Twist Mount is QD and bomb proof.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

AP Twist Mount is QD and bomb proof.
View Quote

Absolutly and I forgot about this mount

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top