Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2020 8:00:07 PM EDT
I'm building my dream AR and want to outfit it with the absolute best BCG. I have a few questions though. How good is titanium? And what's the best coating? I've always thought that DLC was undoubtedly the best, but I would gladly welcome the experience from people more knowledgeable than me. Also, please refrain yourself from saying things like "A BCM will do just fine" or "A basic mil-spec lower works great". I don't want it to be good enough or to do just fine, I want the best of the best. These are some of the options I researched but any other one that's better is welcomed. Also whatever it is I end up choosing, is it recommendable to swap the bolt for the Sharps Relia-bolt?

-Walker Defense titanium BCG. Titanium BCG coated with DLC on the carrier and NiB on the bolt.
-Battle Arms Development titanium BCG. Titanium BCG with armorTI coating.
-V Seven titanium BCG. Titanium BCG coated with DLC on the carrier and NiB on the bolt.
-Toolcraft Diamond DLC BCG. 8620 TPAQ steel with DLC coating.
-Sharps Xtreme Performance DLC BCG. S7 tool steel BCG coated in black DLC.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If money is no object, I'd go with an LMT Enhanced Bolt along with LMT's standard carrier...

https://lmtdefense.com/product/l7fb3/

...and if you have an over gassed carbine, I'd suggest their enhanced carrier...

https://lmtdefense.com/product/l7q3/

LMT makes a very high quality product and I've never heard of/read about a broken LMT Enhanced Bolt.

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The best is the LMT Enhanced BCG. Apart from that one, I use BCM BCG's.

ETA: The reason BCM is recommended is because it is that good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]
LMT e-bolt , Geissele REBCG, Microbest Chrome BCG or Daniel Defense Chrome BCG. Right at the moment you will pay out the rear for an LMT e-bolt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I put together a few BCG’s I consider to be bombproof.
KAC Sandcutter with LMT enhanced bolt.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put together a few BCG’s I consider to be bombproof.
KAC Sandcutter with LMT enhanced bolt.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/236598/D87F2A5A-D348-446B-8F7B-33BED04D8DFD_jpe-1655468.JPG
View Quote

I like chrome carriers with my ebolts also. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm building my dream AR and want to outfit it with the absolute best BCG. I have a few questions though. How good is titanium? And what's the best coating? I've always thought that DLC was undoubtedly the best, but I would gladly welcome the experience from people more knowledgeable than me. Also, please refrain yourself from saying things like "A BCM will do just fine" or "A basic mil-spec lower works great". I don't want it to be good enough or to do just fine, I want the best of the best. These are some of the options I researched but any other one that's better is welcomed. Also whatever it is I end up choosing, is it recommendable to swap the bolt for the Sharps Relia-bolt?

-Walker Defense titanium BCG. Titanium BCG coated with DLC on the carrier and NiB on the bolt.
-V Seven titanium BCG. Titanium BCG coated with DLC on the carrier and NiB on the bolt.
View Quote

Personally, I would take a toolcraft mil spec phosphate over every single one of those.

Otherwise, pair an LMT e-bolt with a KAC sand cutter or a JP full mass carrier and call it a day.

But if you want the best.......

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
BCM
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
OP - you are overthinking this.  Most all reputable brands have BCGs that are just plain fine.  Tookcradt and two othe brands make military BCGs.  Yes.  I think LMT makes the best.  Yes, BCM and DD make damn good BCGs. Geissele has a fine BCG that fixed a problem that did not exist, but marketed it well.

PSA purchased Tookcraft.  They have have done BCGs, as does Rock River and Stag and FN and Colt.

I would not spend money on anything else that adds costs fir marketed phones baloney.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Tool craft will deliver the goods, bottom line. If you want a "mil spec" carrier group that you'll never, ever have to worry about, DD is the way. I have two DD bolts with close to 15k rounds on them that would probably be good for another 15k. Would have zero reservations about putting them back into any of my rifles.

If you want an enhanced carrier, LMT, KAC, and JP make some really nice kit with functional improvements to the standard design. How much those improvements matter is up for debate, but whether they are an improvement in absolute terms is definitely answered in the positive.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on what you want to spend. Best to me means LMT enhanced bolt, Sionics NP3 carrier and cam pin, BCM firing pin and retaining pin. I have several of them and not only do they work great, they clean up easy. My second choice would be a DD hard-chrome BCG followed by BCM. After that, Toolcraft or Aero works well. My wife did break a Toolcraft bolt and she shoots like a girl! Parkerized or Nitride. IMO and experience, NiB sucks.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I use Colt
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Probably an LMT Enhanced bolt, I've got a couple. But I'm starting to buy JP Bolts, cheaper and they are the nicest machined bolts I've personally seen.

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Personally, I would take a toolcraft mil spec phosphate over every single one of those.

Otherwise, pair an LMT e-bolt with a KAC sand cutter or a JP full mass carrier and call it a day.

But if you want the best.......

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6045/D9905E46-80EF-4341-9A87-9265C01BE8D2_jpe-1655618.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6045/36CB8524-ED2E-4F05-91B6-BF8FCB3CD670_jpe-1655626.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6045/F8EBC44B-F327-4F2A-9DBD-0110A6615EA3_png-1655633.JPG
View Quote

@Marksmen14
Who’s chrome gas keys did you install on your Kac sandcutter’s?
I’ve been debating about installing YM chrome gas keys on mine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Only 4 I would ever consider are...

LMT Enhanced - for function

KAC Sandcutter - for looks

Bootleg Adjustable - for gas problems

Milspec BCG - for $
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve got tens of thousands of rounds through the following with no issues.

Colt, BCM, Toolcraft and LaRue

Other than my duty rifle (cleaned after every training) I’m not meticulous on cleaning.

Usual wipe them down and bore snake a rifle after 2-3 training days.

Keep them lubed and they run fine dirty.

Just watched a video on SOLGW bolt carrier group... may have to grab one
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Marksmen14
Who’s chrome gas keys did you install on your Kac sandcutter’s?
I’ve been debating about installing YM chrome gas keys on mine.
View Quote

YM, with OCKS and a MOACKS
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Unless you're shooting a ridiculous number of rounds, I find it unlikely an average user would wear out a name brand BCG from a company like Colt, LMT, DD, KAC, Larue, BCM, ect.

Any of these BCGs should be flawless for thousands upon thousands of rounds of ammo. I understand wanting the best, but you're really reaching the point of diminishing returns trying to outperform name brand bolt carrier groups.

For what it's worth, I've yet to see one of my agency's Colt BCGs fail. I'm sure it has happened, but it's such a rare occurrence as to almost not be a consideration. I'd venture a guess that the barrel may be shot out by the time the BCG fails.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm building my dream AR and want to outfit it with the absolute best BCG.

Also, please refrain yourself from saying things like "A BCM will do just fine"

View Quote

BCM is definitely above those you listed. Don't fall for these weird coatings and gimmicks.

You want the best I'd say piecing each individual part is your best bet

LMT enhanced bolt
KAC sand cutter
Forward controls coated cam pin (w' dot)
Not sure about firing pin and retaining maybe BCM

Geissele REBCG ilis pretty nice and seems like a better version of the gimmicks you listed

Or you can really have the best and convert the chamber to the E3 from kac (if you really want the so called best)
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#19]
The "Best"...JP.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Toolcraft works for me!

Does PSA really own them?

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Toolcraft works for me!

Does PSA really own them?

View Quote

No.
Never happened.

Just ask PSA  
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn’t wast the cash on a Gucci BCG right now. Buy ammo instead. Unless you’re running full auto or suppressed you won’t be justifying the cost and even then, an AO, microbest, or toolcraft with a good C158 bolt will serve you just fine.

I have run a couple different “Enhanced” carriers and personally only see any benefit when I use the LMT carrier when suppressed- my 2 cents: if it’s not suppressed, don’t pursue “solutions in search of a problem”.

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I have never had an issue with any BCG, ever. That includes all my time in the military too. I have tried like a dozen different flavors of enhanced and adjustable. Now, I just run Colt and BCM. SAC has new unmarked Colt BCGs for $100 shipped.

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Phosphate: Colt, BCM, DD, Centurion, Sionics

Coated:  DD chrome, Geissele REBG, Sionics NP3, JP enhanced

LMT ebolt if you don’t mind proprietary extractor and springs

KAC sandcutter for a carrier only
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Honestly I'm pretty impressed with the PSA Fathers of Freedom bcg I snagged this summer. Since it's basically the SOLGW BCG ripped off and sold without their logo that shouldn't be surprising. Not bad for $135.

Good staking, tight tolerances, sprinco springs, and the machining and chrome lining are both really smooth. Running it in my new 10.3 build so it's taking a bit of a beating.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Phosphate: Colt, BCM, DD, Centurion, Sionics

Coated:  DD chrome, Geissele REBG, Sionics NP3, JP enhanced

LMT ebolt if you don't mind proprietary extractor and springs

KAC sandcutter for a carrier only
View Quote
That's an excellent group of carriers. I'd have absolutely zero reservations about putting any of those in a hard use gun and running them for tens of thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Honestly I'm pretty impressed with the PSA Fathers of Freedom bcg I snagged this summer. Since it's basically the SOLGW BCG ripped off and sold without their logo that shouldn't be surprising. Not bad for $135.

Good staking, tight tolerances, sprinco springs, and the machining and chrome lining are both really smooth. Running it in my new 10.3 build so it's taking a bit of a beating.
View Quote

Microbest is one of the best out there. I wish I snagged one of those
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Microbest is one of the best out there. I wish I snagged one of those
View Quote

At one time.

Seen quite a few posts lately of some fuckery regarding chromed bolts/carriers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't see any mention of FN. I thought they were on par with Colt and BCM?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tool craft will deliver the goods, bottom line. If you want a "mil spec" carrier group that you'll never, ever have to worry about, DD is the way. I have two DD bolts with close to 15k rounds on them that would probably be good for another 15k. Would have zero reservations about putting them back into any of my rifles.

If you want an enhanced carrier, LMT, KAC, and JP make some really nice kit with functional improvements to the standard design. How much those improvements matter is up for debate, but whether they are an improvement in absolute terms is definitely answered in the positive.
View Quote

^^^ pretty much
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Colt/FN......apples to apples comparison.

Almost all that I run anymore, solid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. Good to know.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

At one time.

View Quote

Yeah, that is limited to chrome only and outsourced the application I am sure.

I have pakerized one  from PK and it is super tight tolerances. The bolt going in the carrier is crazy tight fit. CM stamped bolt interestingly
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At one time.

Good to know.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top