Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2022 8:47:18 AM EDT
I just got my SIG MCX Tacops and got the chance to put some rounds through it yesterday. I ran into issues immediately. Just to be specific it has a 6.75" barrel with the SIG SLX762-QD (7.4") suppressor. I put some 200gr Sellier & Bellot through it and even with my gas selection fully to the + side for shooting suppressed, it failed to cycle the next round but it ?did? eject the spent brass.

Can I get some suggestions for subs that will cycle properly? I'm thinking some hotter 180gr may do the trick?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been happy with the Hornady 190gr Sub-x. Never an issue, though I dont have an MCX. I just have a couple 8.5" pistols with pistol length gas and AGB's. Definitely not a 1 for comparison due to that, and I've run a few boxes of S&B 200's without issue. The majority of my subs I reload myself, but thats more about cost savings than anything.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Loading your own is the way to go.

Also a lot of good information in this thread

300 BLK Master thread

Welcome to the site
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
S&B 200gr is my choice because it has never given me an issue.
If it won't cycle that it needs work.
Or maybe more break-in / lube
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I vote "break in/lube"
My friends 6.75" did the same thing when he first got his.

If I remember correctly, we ran some supers through it (couple mags worth), then remoil'd the upper like crazy.

Been fine ever since!
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks! I can't believe how much info and responses this has gotten so quickly, I'm grateful for the community ??
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks! I can't believe how much info and responses this has gotten so quickly, I'm grateful for the community ??
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#7]
It seems that the common theme here is to reload. I can't say I disagree but work + 2 kids under 2 has me stretched thin haha

Are there any reloaders that sell rounds to spec? I know that may sound crazy but if I fail to find what I need and don't have the time to reload myself, that sounds like an alternative
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Hadn't thought running supers would assist, sounds like a cost effective way to resolve the issue if that works. Otherwise I have to find a buyer for 990 rounds of my 200gr haha
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hadn't thought running supers would assist, sounds like a cost effective way to resolve the issue if that works. Otherwise I have to find a buyer for 990 rounds of my 200gr haha
View Quote

If you've only run 10rd of subs through the new gun and nothing else that's likely your issue.
Buy a few boxes of "cheap" supers to run though it and oil it up, then try the subs again.
Subs can also be more mag-sensitive than supers due to bullet shape, what mags are you using?
I've had zero issues with 300blk PMAGs.
Okay/Brownells aluminum mags worked fine for me with supers and most of the time with subs, but not always.
Subs would bind enough in the mag to slow down the elevation, and the MCX cycle is faster than a typical AR.

Have with tried one round in the mag to see if it locks back on empty upon firing?
If it does, it's likely a mag feed issue and not an ammo issue.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm using 5.56 pmags seeing as the brass is the same I wouldn't think it's an issue but perhaps the mouth of the mag is different with 300blk pmags? I mean, I know they make them but I just didn't see the purpose, perhaps I'm mistaken using the 5.56 ones? Either way, I'm going to get a box of some cheap supers to run through and see if it will cycle. I'll probably do that next Wednesday.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm using 5.56 pmags seeing as the brass is the same I wouldn't think it's an issue but perhaps the mouth of the mag is different with 300blk pmags? I mean, I know they make them but I just didn't see the purpose, perhaps I'm mistaken using the 5.56 ones? Either way, I'm going to get a box of some cheap supers to run through and see if it will cycle. I'll probably do that next Wednesday.
View Quote

The ribs on the sides up front are the issue.
A heavy 308 bullet is much wider at the ogive than a 5.56 case neck, so they tend to nose in towards the center of the mag and bind the stack.

I would try the one-round test with an empty mag before anything else.
If it locks back every time you have your answer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The 6.75" is notorious for this and there are plenty of posts in the Sig Armory section about it. It just needs some rounds in and it'll work fine. Otherwise if you call Sig they can help you out, as it seems there is more than one gas plug.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm definitely less informed on these things than I should be, but this illustration is extremely helpful to understand what you're saying, I'm going to see if it locks back with a single round and then possibly explore mags if the other suggestions don't work, ie: a couple mags of supers and a serious upper lube. I'd like to exhaust all options before sending it to SIG.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top