Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2021 8:58:33 AM EDT
I purchased my first firearm in November. Given the climate of the market my choices were limited, I decided to buy a PSA M4 mil spec 1/7 carbine. I spent a decent amount of money on rear MBUS, vortex red dot, K2 grips, and mags. Thankfully I also stocked up on ammo as well. I’m here to ask your help on a few things. I find it hard to control recoil with the mil spec handgaurd and have been contemplating adding a VFG or AFG. I noticed most people swap handguards to mount instead of using picatinny rails under the mil spec handgaurd. I was wondering if this gives a practical advantage? If not, do you guys have any specific recommendations for rails/grips? And if it does, it seems like the magpul handguard is the way to go?
Also I’m concerned about backup parts. I’ve considered getting a spare BCG but seeing as most are well over $100+ I felt like it might be going over board. Any advice on affordably upgrading or practical back up parts is highly appreciated. I’m trying to not break the bank on things that are not really realistic/practical. I know the community has probably been overwhelmed by people like me and I greatly appreciate your patience and help.

Thanks, Blake

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Stance will help you control recoil.  Different handguard or vfg won’t do anything.  

Scrounge around for a spare bolt, bolt rebuild kit, buffer spring, or two, a few firing pin retaining pins, and maybe a hammer spring and pin.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#3]
This being your first firearm more likely explains inability to control recoil than anything else you mentioned.  Give yourself some time to learn before changing anything else.  Nobody on a discussion forum can assess where you are with respect to shooting fundamentals, so try to find a legitimate source for training or at least view some training video.  Chances are you won't need to purchase anything else, at least not for some time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This being your first firearm more likely explains inability to control recoil than anything else you mentioned.  Give yourself some time to learn before changing anything else.  Nobody on a discussion forum can assess where you are with respect to shooting fundamentals, so try to find a legitimate source for training or at least view some training video.  Chances are you won't need to purchase anything else, at least not for some time.
View Quote

This is really good advice, technique and training will help you manage recoil - no need to purchase anything. I'd get a few spare parts per Tig's link above. You can find these parts if you keep looking and they won't break the bank. Welcome to the site, 2A and AR's OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is really good advice, technique and training will help you manage recoil - no need to purchase anything. I'd get a few spare parts per Tig's link above. You can find these parts if you keep looking and they won't break the bank. Welcome to the site, 2A and AR's OP.
View Quote

This.  Recoil on an AR is not that bad at all.  Proper grip/stance is a big part of it.  Watch some youtube videos with known trainers.  There is a lot of this stuff up on youtube

One thing you could do to help things run better for low cost is a heavier buffer.  Guessing your gun has a carbine weight buffer.  Try an h or h2 and see if it changes recoil impulse at all.  A muzzle device can make a big difference as well.  I dont like obnoxious ones, but a good hybrid would make a difference.

As far as spare parts go, now is a bad time to be looking for stuff at a low cost.  Everything is carrying a premium and $80 BCGs are gone for now, probably ever.  PSA might still be a ood place to grab an extra.  I would recommend just buing a spare bolt somewhere, and a bolt rebuild kit.  Usually that is where you will have an issue, not with the carrier unless it is out of spec which would have been obvious already
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The single best way to gain support and steady your shooting position is to buy a cheap Vietnam 2 point sling with metal keepers. $5.00 +/- for a 52" sling will allow you to adjust it so you can slip your elbow inside using it as a forth point of reference when shooting. The sling tension actually adds a link between the front swivel and rear swivel so you actually have six points of contact to steady the rifle.

Mount your hand as high on the pistol grip as you can.
Place the stock in your shoulder pocket the same way every time.
Place your face on the stock the same way every time.
Use the sling around the exterior of your left upper arm, adjusting the length so that it's snug. Never loose and never too tight.
By applying pressure against the sling with your forward arm you remove almost all recoil and perceived wobble in your shooting position.

As time passes you will gain more balance and control and can learn to shoot well without a sling. Holding the firearm more tightly, as if it really kicked, will help you deal with the little recoil it generates.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
My opinion, after 30 years

Buy a Battle steel rail
Cheap and Solid as a rock
I have KAS, P&S, damage industries and battle steel
If you don’t like the laser logo, blacken it with Alumablack

Cheaphttps://youtu.be/smkMQfVd_bY

I have a new extra battle steel carbine rail that I would be happy to send to you if you pay the priority postage $7.75.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
First time with a rifle?

Might help to take a class or two, if so.  

Check around for parts.  Primary arms runs specials regularly
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
May consider watching the Magpul Art of the Tactical Carbine vids.

Costa kinda goes overboard with the stance but some variation of that will help control recoil
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want spare parts snag up a spare extractor, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, and a spare spring kit for your lower.  That should last you at least 6-8k rounds before anything should ever be failing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you all, you guys are the best.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Training like others said. Also like mentioned, I’d seriously recommend the H2 buffer and Sprinco blue buffer spring or Tubbs flat wire. The PSA isn’t necessarily over gassed like people assume about affordable manufacturers, it’s under buffered. This will help smooth the recoil impulse. I have a PSA middy and DD middy, the DD was smooth out of the box, the PSA, not so much. Once I learned the reasons and mechanics, the PSA got a H2 and blue combo, it is much more smooth and controllable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Spend money on ammo and mags. Get out and shoot the gun, train with it, you need to get to know hownthe AR platform works before you go changing up everything on the rifle. The only thing I recommend for a new rifle other than ammo, mags and sights is a sling.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Find a basic class and get more trigger time around someone who can give you pointers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
A good muzzle brake will tame the muzzle rise when firing (a lot actually) however its fucking LOUD!  Make sure you have a quality sling and get some entry level rifle training.  Everyone here has provided good advice so far
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a video that might help. He says a couple different things than other youtube videos regarding stance (maybe bladed vs squared) and stock placement (high vs in shoulder pocket), but it seems to work for him. And who am I to argue with an SF guy? If you're shooting from a bench that's a different animal.
Techniques are always changing and improving. I see a lot less vert foregrips than I did 10 years ago.
Carbine handling

Maybe upgrade the ejector spring with a 5 coil from Springco.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#18]
OP - can you describe more specifically what you mean by controlling recoil with the mil spec handguard?  Is it jumping out of your support hand?  Losing your cheek weld or stock weld?  Losing your sight picture?  There's very little felt recoil with an AR shooting commercial .223/5.56, but there's still some muzzle flip, as with any firearm.  So if you're a new shooter it might be as much expectation as fundamentals like suggested above.  A death grip on the handguard or forward grip won't eliminate muzzle flip and it detracts from a good steady firing position.  With experience, instead of fighting it you'll get used to the recoil/muzzle flip and be able to quickly and smoothly reacquire your sight picture.

Also, are you shooting with the stock extended or collapsed?  If collapsed, or not properly extended for your size, you may not be getting the butt firmly in your shoulder pocket and that would make your rifle feel a lot more jumpy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top