Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2021 1:29:49 AM EDT
Okay this is on a brand-new ballistic advantage 9 mm PCC that as far as I can tell came with a threaded bolt catch pin. The problem is that the part of the pin that is threaded is completely missing so all I have is half of a solid pin that currently seems to be barely holding the bolt catch in.  

I tried to take a picture to illustrate this but I couldn't get my phone to focus well enough.

So I have questions. First off is this part standardized in anyway so I can purchase a replacement from any place that happens to have them in stock or do I have to get it from ballistic advantage? If I can get it anywhere, can anybody give me a heads-up on where I might get two or three of these from that's not going to charge me more for shipping then the parts

More importantly does anybody have any brilliant ideas on how to get this broken pin out of my gun hopefully without buggering anything up. I don't think I own tweezers small enough to get into this so the only solution that I have been able to come up with so far his to take a Dremel cut off and physically cut the bolt catch itself so I can get to the PIN to be able to hopefully grab it and remove it. At that point I put in a new bolt catch and pin. Does anybody see anything wrong with this plan?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#2]
To remove the broken nose of the pin, that is still holding the bolt catch in place, first pull the upper off.
Then remove the stock.
Then gently tap the lower on a block of wood, or even an old large book.
It should slide out.
You may have to play with putting pressure on the catch from different angles to over come the the pressure being put on the catch by the spring.
If you get just the right pressure point, the stub may fall out on it's own.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome awesome awesome you guys are great, I knew you'd help me out. First off I'm not sure about the timing but I will definitely check it once I have the gun back together. This is a brand new gun with only 15 rounds through it that I used to zero. I'm going to go ahead and order a dozen of those stupid pins just to make sure that I don't have this problem again. As far as getting the broken piece out, since my receiver is aluminum and I assume the pain is steel, do you think I would have any luck with a really big magnet, using the bolt catch to try to wiggle it in it to alignment? I've already determined that I do not own tweezers that can fit anywhere useful
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top