Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2022 12:44:40 AM EDT
Hi all,

I'm new here, and looking to get some help identifying a Colt Gov carbine I just bought.

It's a preban with fairly low serial number of GC001XXX What is strange is that the upper has no shell deflector but does have an assist.

The left hand side of the lower says AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine.

The lower has no fence (slab side).

I haven't seen many uppers in general that do not have a deflector.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#1]
The shell deflector is also called the “Brunton bump” and was added later.

The pre-bumps with forward assist are often referred to as a 603 upper.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, It's an old one, go to Colt's website here to type in your serial number and it will give you the year it was made.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds mid 1980s transitional, when Colt was still using up older SP-1/Sporter II-type slabside lowers for various models. Is it big pivot or standard pivot? Slab implies no pivot pin retention pin or boss. Big pin or small pin on the fire controls?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a R6420
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:53:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried using the SN lookup but it does not find a record
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tried using the SN lookup but it does not find a record
View Quote

Give them a call in the morning. I do recall the AR15's aren't in there for some reason, handguns etc are goo to go.

Here's another good source: BiggerHammer.net
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds mid 1980s transitional, when Colt was still using up older SP-1/Sporter II-type slabside lowers for various models. Is it big pivot or standard pivot? Slab implies no pivot pin retention pin or boss. Big pin or small pin on the fire controls?
View Quote

I think it is a big pin. The left hand side of the lower says AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
guessing 1992-1993ish
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
A photo is the best way to help.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fire Control pins are small.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A photo is the best way to help.
View Quote

I will grab a pic when I can
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fire Control pins are small.
View Quote

Big pivot and standard fire control pins places it no later than 87-89... maybe 1990 at the latest.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Big pivot and standard fire control pins places it no later than 87-89... maybe 1990 at the latest.
View Quote

I appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:48:29 AM EDT
[#14]
It could be a Transitional model mid-development of the A2 lower receiver with A2 enhancements followed by the fully developed A2 with raised fence They may have shipped out the last of their Sporter 2 Carbine uppers on them which would be a CH marked receiver and CMP B barrel then possibly a transitional model.

But there is a good possibility it's not the original upper as well. During the ban, many uppers were separated from their lowers due to demand for pre-ban lower receivers on the second-hand market.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It could be a Transitional model (Green Lable box mid-development of the A2 lower receiver with A2 enhancements followed by the fully developed A2 with raised fence) They may have shipped out the last of their Sporter 2 Carbine uppers on them which would be a CH marked receiver and CMP B barrel then possibly a transitional model.

But there is a good possibility it's not the original upper as well. During the ban, many uppers were separated from their lowers due to demand for pre-ban lower receivers on the second-hand market.

What are your receiver and barrel markings?
View Quote

Receiver is CH and barrel is CMP
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:11:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Receiver is CH and barrel is CMP
View Quote

IMO sounds like you have a transitional model which is really just a Sporter 2 carbine with the new roll mark on the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IMO sounds like you have a transitional model which is really just a Sporter 2 carbine with the new roll mark on the receiver.
View Quote

Cool, sounds good to me! I like the gov carbine rollmark
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:19:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Cool, sounds good to me! I like the gov carbine rollmark
View Quote

The lower should also have A2 enhancements on the rear of the lower receiver making it different from the SP1 receivers.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The lower should also have A2 enhancements on the rear of the lower receiver making it different from the SP1 receivers.

View Quote

Hmm what is an example of an A2 enhancement?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Give Colt a phone call this morning, they will give you the year over the phone, I've done it a number of times.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This pic is of an early M16A2 without the 'A2" lower receiver reinforcements where the receiver extension screws into the aft end of the lower and at the pivot pin.

This is a later M16A2 that shows the reinforced areas.

Here's my pre-ban AR6520, you can see it has the later receiver profile. IIRC it was made in 1993. ETA: That's not the original upper.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This pic is of an early M16A2 without the 'A2" lower receiver reinforcements where the receiver extension screws into the aft end of the lower and at the pivot pin.
View Quote
Did Colt send the military that sort of thing (an A1 lower marked A2), or was that just on the commercial side?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Did Colt send the military that sort of thing (an A1 lower marked A2), or was that just on the commercial side?
View Quote

8 million series were almost all commercial/LE sales and FMS guns.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't know for sure, but I would speculate A1 style lowers marked A2 would be limited to commercial products. I would think that any US military contract M16A2s would have have had all of the A2 feature set, including the lower receiver reinforcements. Alternatively, carbines purchased commercial off the shelf (COTS), like 723s and 727s for SOCOM, could have been a mix of lower profiles. Period pics of JSOC and SOCOM guys seem to show a lot of 727s and 723s that have A1 style lowers, but a few seem to have A2 profile lowers as well. Same seems to hold true for pics of commercial market A2 carbine and commando machine guns.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted: […] I would think that any US military contract M16A2s would have have had all of the A2 feature set including the lower receiver reinforcements.
View Quote
Thanks — that’s what I figured. But I didn’t know whether the lower receiver reinforcements had been present from the start of the A2, or if maybe they had been added later as part of a PIP or something.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/BSK9xDc.png

This is a later M16A2 that shows the reinforced areas.
https://i.imgur.com/OQ87vyj.jpg

Here's my pre-ban AR6520, you can see it has the later receiver profile. IIRC it was made in 1993. ETA: That's not the original upper.
https://i.imgur.com/DWDfbKC.jpg
View Quote

Ah yes, thank you for these.

Mine is the non-reinforced lower receiver.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#27]
All "A2" means is that it has a 1:7 barrel.

Being Colt it could have all manner of uppers and lowers but it has to have a 1:7 barrel, to shoot SS109 (M855).

Stolen from here when I was a creeper.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Being Colt it could have all manner of uppers and lowers but it has to have a 1:7 barrel, to shoot SS109 (M855).

https://i.imgur.com/xMj3PB0l.jpg
View Quote

Yes, the rifling twist was the key feature of the A2, and Colt used up lowers and uppers on commercial guns. But the military wanted the reinforcements and I'd challenge you to document a US Government Property marked M16A2, other than prototypes or conversions, that didn't have them. Other key features were the A2 flash hider/compensator with the closed bottom and the pistol grip with the finger grooves, and the type of plastic used to make the grip, stock, and hand guards. You'll always see those on factory M16A2s, even commercial products.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, the rifling twist was the key feature of the A2, and Colt used up lowers and uppers on commercial guns. But the military wanted the reinforcements and I'd challenge you to document a US Government Property marked M16A2, other than prototypes or conversions, that didn't have them. Other key features were the A2 flash hider/compensator with the closed bottom and the pistol grip with the finger grooves, and the type of plastic used to make the grip, stock, and hand guards. You'll always see those on factory M16A2s, even commercial products.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/xMj3PB0l.jpg

Agreed but this thread is about a GOVT CARBINE marked civilian rifle, not a PROPERTY OF US GOVT marked military rifle.

The .mil got all the improvements they paid for.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Agreed but this thread is about a GOVT CARBINE marked civilian rifle, not a PROPERTY OF US GOVT marked military rifle.

The .mil got all the improvements they paid for.
View Quote

Very true, and Colt certainly has used the same nomenclature as the military to mean different things (A3, A4, etc.).
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Neat, OP.  What's the market price on that in the Commonwealth these days?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#32]
neat little carbine...did it come from Colt with the sling adapter installed or did you add it?

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Interesting
I have a 1991 Colt Government Carbine I bought brand new.
It has the A2 sights
It also has the same slick side lower you describe.
I think Colt had metric ton of those lowers left over from the early 60s and used them on civilian guns for decades, into the early 90s apparently.

IIRC GCs we're rolled out in 1987or 1988, I bet yours is a very early one before Colt started using the A2 sighted uppers.
It makes sense that there was overlap between the sporter 2 carbines and the Government Carbines and if your rifle is original, the A2 sights were probably phased in during Government Carbine production.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
neat little carbine...did it come from Colt with the sling adapter installed or did you add it?

https://i.imgur.com/DWDfbKC.jpg

View Quote

Thanks.

I had Specialized Armament do their 14.5" to 16" conversion on that barrel and install a double-sided M203 sling swivel kit.

How it looks right now:
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Neat, OP.  What's the market price on that in the Commonwealth these days?
View Quote

Hey there thanks.
I paid a whopping 3000 for mine!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:30:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks.

I had Specialized Armament do their 14.5" to 16" conversion on that barrel and install a double-sided M203 sling swivel kit.

How it looks right now:
https://i.imgur.com/Ols2k9E.jpg
View Quote

I built this upper awhile back using a post ban, RRA M4 barrel...after seeing yours, I think I'm going to install my GI side swivel kit onto it too
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top