Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/8/2022 4:18:10 PM EDT
New to this forum.  I have an AR I purchased January 6th, 2021.  Seemed like the thing to do.  Love shooting this gun.  Nato barrel Anderson Lower, Aero upper.  Currently learning and shooting reloads for this gun.  So far been real nice shooter.  I'm improving the trigger with the help of a good gunsmith I know.  It will have about a 3 lb. trigger pull when finished.  I put a 3x9 Leopold scope on it for a little better "eyesight".   lol.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
welcome  practice much and have fun.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome and enjoy Arfcom
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the asylum!
You will not get well, or stop at one AR.
They are addictive, and they breed inside your gun case, but you won't mind.
Face it, you are doomed...
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome aboard.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but please be careful about what trigger "improvements" you make with your local gunsmith. There's been some horror stories here about trigger mods that went bad.

Be safe and have fun.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome

The best way to improve an AR trigger is to replace it, with another trigger. Not much that can be improved upon on a factory trigger without making it unsafe.

If you want something better there are plenty off options from the LaRue MBT, CMC drop in or Geisselle if you have the money.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Well thought I'd throw out some questions for the Newby here.  My AR does not like LT-30 powder, does not always cycle. I'm not sure if I made a mistake in bullet length or if the powder is causing the failure.  The failure I'm seeing is not chambering the following round.  Feeds commercial rounds flawlessly.  The failure shot will be a stuck round nose down.  

Did I get the wrong powder burn rate with the LT-30?

Is the slightly longer than commercial round causing the feed problem.  

Next rounds will be identical to the stock for length.    Shooting 55 grain, jacketed Hornady Accurate 2230 seems to feed better.  Unfortunately I could only find CCI 41 primers which are magnum primers.  

A lot of variables here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well thought I'd throw out some questions for the Newby here.  My AR does not like LT-30 powder, does not always cycle. I'm not sure if I made a mistake in bullet length or if the powder is causing the failure.  The failure I'm seeing is not chambering the following round.  Feeds commercial rounds flawlessly.  The failure shot will be a stuck round nose down.  

Did I get the wrong powder burn rate with the LT-30?

Is the slightly longer than commercial round causing the feed problem.  

Next rounds will be identical to the stock for length.    Shooting 55 grain, jacketed Hornady Accurate 2230 seems to feed better.  Unfortunately I could only find CCI 41 primers which are magnum primers.  

A lot of variables here.
View Quote

Don't get fixated on the "magnum" primers.  The only difference is the addition of a small amount of fine aluminum powder to act as a longer burning flare into the case.  It's not really going to change much.

Feeding issues sounds like a gassing issue.  Over/Under, couldn't tell for certain, but it sounds like it's trying to strip the next round off at the wrong time (or too quickly) and not giving it time to get into place.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a great reloading form here.

Moderated by a fanatical reloader with insane amounts of skill and experience.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better place for info on reloading the 5.56

Make sure to explore the site.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is the link for the reloading forum:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Reloading/42/
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Howdy, Pilgrim.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Always happy to see a new member here!
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top