Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Thx

Been a while since I was on their website because my project list was already backlogged but I will get a couple with my next order....usually Black Rifle Friday!
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This.  ADCO charges $140 to pin a FSB they provide.  I didn't look into getting my own FSB yet, but I can't imagine it will get much cheaper.  I didn't realize the FSB was a goner on new barrels until recently (been out of the loop for a while), and now I see it's cost prohibitive to buy a barrel and get one pinned.  Yikes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need a group buy for front sight pinning!
This.  ADCO charges $140 to pin a FSB they provide.  I didn't look into getting my own FSB yet, but I can't imagine it will get much cheaper.  I didn't realize the FSB was a goner on new barrels until recently (been out of the loop for a while), and now I see it's cost prohibitive to buy a barrel and get one pinned.  Yikes.
John Thomas has done two for me with outstanding service and results.  Given that FSBs can be found in the under 30 dollar range, I doubt he'd be charging anywhere close to the 100+ bucks for labor, so I would reach out to him at retroarmsworks as others have suggested
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#3]
How does one contact this John Thomas?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#5]
ADCO does good work, but their prices are high. Send your stuff to John Thomas and you'll get as good or better quality of work, lighting fast turnaround, and save a good chunk of change. Makes FSB pinning a non-issue in my opinion.

Also, what would be more correct for an early 723 handguard cap using this barrel? The full round .625 cap or the GL notched .625 cap?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have JT's current rate sheet (spring 2018) and he only charges $60 to mount a front sight, $50 to pin/weld a muzzle device.  His email is: [email protected].  He is the best, hands down...
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...Also, what would be more correct for an early 723 handguard cap using this barrel? The full round .625 cap or the GL notched .625 cap?
View Quote
Yes, need to know this too...though I'm not sure it will matter much to me as I don't like the notched cap anyway.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome!  While you are at it, a correct 10" would also be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, need to know this too...though I'm not sure it will matter much to me as I don't like the notched cap anyway.
View Quote
Full round, I believe.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i67.tinypic.com/30vda3a.jpg

Something is missing, can’t put my finger on it just yet though...
View Quote
A little late here, but what OD furniture is that?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A little late here, but what OD furniture is that?
View Quote
OD green from Model1 Sales.

CAR stock and slim hand guards with an A2 grip.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Guys, thanks for all the orders. Some time next week I’ll be putting them on my web site as a normal item. But you can still order by phone for the arfcom discount for a while. I didn’t realize it’s so costly to get a fsb installed. I’ll look at it closer on another run, basically ran out of time on this one. Also, I’ll have Engineering make up a drawing for the 11.5” version and pass it by you for evaluation.

Thanks again,

Rick
View Quote
Hey Rick, an 11.5" lightweight like this with 1/7 twist would be amazing and I'd be all over them.  I really like these 14.7" though, I've ordered 3 for myself so far and 1 for a buddy of mine and so far 2 have been delivered.  If you do decide to do a 11.5" I'd be down for at least 3-4 or more when they got done.  Another barrel you should really consider making in the future is a 1/7 twist A1 barrel.  You guys already offer the 1-12 and 1-14 for correctness but a lot of guys prefer the 1-7 for heavier modern bullets.  The profile is already the same, the twist rate would be the only change.  That said, I'd much rather see the lightweight 11.5's.

These 14.7"s look perfect, great quality as always and perfect profile for our Retro builds and for lightweight modern builds.  I will definitely be picking up at least a couple more later this year and it will become one of my number 1 go to barrels.  I don't have a good camera to take any pics but there should be a lot of members out there that have received these already.  For those of you who haven't ordered yet, you really should try to pick up one while they are at this lower price.  I don't think you will regret it, and there is no issues to be worried about like with other companies.  I would have picked up more if I could have afforded to.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks. I can make up some of the A1's in 1:7 but it may take a while. I should have the drawing for the 11.5" shortly and will post that up.

Rick
View Quote
Can you offer them with FSB installed?
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
WOAH!  RED FLAG!

Check out this thread:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Would-someone-take-a-barrel-measurement-for-me--11-5-ORIGINAL-Colt-barrel----/123-711870/

I do not believe the 11.5" A1 barrels used for the XM177E2 barrels had the skinny profile and flare at the end of the barrel.  All indications point to ~.620" forward of the gas block to the threads.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#19]
The 11.5" Commando barrels were 0.625" at the gas block journal, and then stepped down to 0.615" all the way to the muzzle.  I mic'd my RO733 barrel a while back for someone in another thread.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The 11.5" Commando barrels were 0.625" at the gas block journal, and then stepped down to 0.615" all the way to the muzzle.  I mic'd my RO733 barrel a while back for someone in another thread.
View Quote
QFT.  I can not vouch for the .620" number and would infact think it's more like .610 like the diameter at the flare usually is.  Infact, I'd insist it should be .610"
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
QFT.  I can not vouch for the .620" number and would infact think it's more like .610 like the diameter at the flare usually is.  Infact, I'd insist it should be .610"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having one in my possession, which I measured as explained above, I can tell you it is 0.615".
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Having one in my possession, which I measured as explained above, I can tell you it is 0.615".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lack of sleep and typing on a phone, .615"!  
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:24:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Even though it's not correct for the older builds I prefer the lighter weight .570 with step at the end of the muzzle.

And from other barrel threads I have read there was a variation on many Colt barrels so if you take 10 of them some could be .610 some could be .615 etc.  I would go with .610 to make it a tad lighter, and that is the standard spec for the step at the end of the muzzle anyways.  Would be nice if you could make both profiles but I know that would be a lot more hassle and probably not worth your time.  Anyone doing modern builds would probably choose the one you already pictured with the lighter .570 and .610 step at the end but those that wanted a more correct clone of the early commandos would prefer the straight profiled ones.  I mostly want these 11.5"s for modern builds so that's why I prefer the one you've already posted but would buy either.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Even though it's not correct for the older builds I prefer the lighter weight .570 with step at the end of the muzzle.

And from other barrel threads I have read there was a variation on many Colt barrels so if you take 10 of them some could be .610 some could be .615 etc.  I would go with .610 to make it a tad lighter, and that is the standard spec for the step at the end of the muzzle anyways.  Would be nice if you could make both profiles but I know that would be a lot more hassle and probably not worth your time.  Anyone doing modern builds would probably choose the one you already pictured with the lighter .570 and .610 step at the end but those that wanted a more correct clone of the early commandos would prefer the straight profiled ones.  I mostly want these 11.5"s for modern builds so that's why I prefer the one you've already posted but would buy either.
View Quote
I did the math for the weight of 4140 steel, the difference between the 2 profiles is 0.3 oz.  I have not readily come across any Colt 11.5" barrel that has the bell at the end of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are you referring to the 11.5"?

Here's the updated drawing:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/GM-M64-568248.jpg

Thanks,

Rick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks. I can make up some of the A1's in 1:7 but it may take a while. I should have the drawing for the 11.5" shortly and will post that up.

Rick

Thanks,

Rick
Rick, I would like it as an option with the 14.7" and 11.5" barrels.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rick

Thanks,

Rick
I'm on the fence about buying a 14.7 as is, if they had a standard height FSB, I'd absolutely buy one.

It would save a lot of hassle.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Rick, I received four of the barrels I ordered and I'm very-VERY happy with them!!  I especially liked that you guys put the barrel's information in a location that will be covered up by the handguards.

Rick, is there any chances of you making a more "correct" looking 14.7" M4 barrel with a 1x7 twist AND a 14.7" lightweight/pencil, but with a 1x12 twist for A1 carbine builds??

I know Brownells makes a lightweight/pencil barrel with a 1x12 twist, but its not profiled correctly...  Not a bad barrel, but just a minor observation on my end.

Also, on your 20" A2, 1x7 twist barrels AND your 20" A1, 1x12 twist barrels, where are the barrel's information located on them??  I hope that they're located under the handguards as well!!

It's great when a manufacturer listens to their customers and provides something that is wanted and needed to fill that small gap in the market for us AR15/M4 builders and collectors.

THANK YOU!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Damn, I didn't realize these were available yet. Rick, is the ARFCOM discount still good?

@BM-ARM-DPMS-guns
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes the discount is still good if you call in during the week.

I'll look at the other requests as time permits and will respond here.

Thanks
Rick
View Quote
Awesome - thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#32]
The folks at Green Mountain are a good bunch. Took a day trip to their factory store a few months ago and bought a barrel. The front desk staff were more than happy to talk shop about their products.

The 20" fluted stainless barrel I got is a great shooter. Would recommend a GM barrel any day.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Also, on your 20" A2, 1x7 twist barrels AND your 20" A1, 1x12 twist barrels, where are the barrel's information located on them??  I hope that they're located under the handguards as well!!
View Quote
It is TDC on the barrel, under the handguards.

The 1:14 barrel is marked the same as well.

I've said it many times and i'll say it again.
.. they are to spec 1:12 a1 barrels with a rifle extension.  You're a fool if you don't stock up now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm surprised these didn't sell out quicker then they did, I'm guessing the FSB not being installed stops a lot of people even though it isn't all that hard if your a hands on type of person.  I figure they will eventually be one of your top sellers (I know I will be buying a lot more of them). And these Green Mountain barrels are much nicer then the Brownells ones in my opinion, they are some of my best shooting barrels and the quality is tops.  The finish is the proper parkerized greyish color as well, the black on the Brownells one's looks strange unless you refinish it.

Rick, are you planning on making the 11.5" barrels here pretty soon or is that a distant project?  And if so, are you planning on doing another group buy type of deal for the first run or just plan on listing them up on the site?  I am wanting to pick up at least 3-4 of them if not more as soon as you get them done.

Also have one other question unrelated to these that you might know, the 20" A2 barrel I ordered was a 1-8 twist instead of the 1-7 but it didn't have the small step down at the end of the barrel that the military A2 profile is suppose to have (similar to the M4 step down at end).  And looking at your photos on the page I noticed it doesn't have it on the 1-8 but on the 1-7 twist A2 barrel it looks like it is on the first picture, just not the second picture with the dimensions.  So my question is, does the 1-7 twist A2 barrel have the step down at the end like the A2's are suppose to have or is it like the 1-8 with a straight profile?  I know this is a small detail but it bugs me on an A2 clone and if the 1-7 has the proper step down I will just buy it from now on.  If not, you should really see if you can have them changed to have it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top