Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2022 10:26:36 AM EDT
I’ve been looking for a good tactical use headlamp. I’ve looked at the petzl and Princeton models like the petzl tactikka and the Princeton tec remix.

They both look exactly like what I’m looking for but after reading the reviews I see that some are having battery issues and even being able to break really easy.

I’d appreciate any first hand experience. I would like anything else that may be recommended to have the same features of water resistant with 300 lumens or more with multiple light levels including read and maybe blue

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked at the Streamlight Compact Sidewinder?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Zebralight.

I have AA, 123, and 18650 versions.

The 18650 is so much better for brightness and battery life if you don't mind the head strap having the third overhead section due to the weight.

It is the most rugged, reliable, easy to use, efficient option I have found.

The have every kind of beam tint and beam profile imaginable. You will find something you like with them for sure.

I have no use for red or blue lights other than for indicating I am the police, lol. A gimmick for lighting anything else IMO and I had dedicated red in the past... still ruined my night vision and could not read color maps. Blood is better seen with a higher CRI or warmer tint white light.

Small plastic crap is not a good choice for a headlamp IMO
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
The Petzl Strix IR is a pretty great option but I think it’s discontinued.

I use a variety of Fenix headlamps right now, but dabble in new gear quite a bit. I’ve tried out the Biolite 750 and Black Diamond Icon 700 this winter and experienced switch failures in both, due to the remote battery packs.

Physical color filters (like the original Tactikka and some current Princeton Tec lights) seem to be fading away, sadly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a zebra light with 18650 battery.  No electrical cords and all metal construction.  Same cell for my flash light.

I don’t know how tactical zebra lights are or what a tactical headlamp even is.  I’ve broken probably 10 headlamps in 15 years but I think the zebra might hold up.

I’ve no need for colored light.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the tactical use you have in mind?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Princeton Tec Remix Pro nightly at work. The red LED is enough to move over rough terrain when you don’t want to be super observable from outside of 100 yards and the white light is great for when that’s not an issue. Perfect for prisoner searches, cuffing up, doing patient care weighting reports in the field etc…takes CR123 which maintains commonality with just about all the other electronics I carry (Thermal, NV, WML & handhelds). The current one I’m using had been through a few decent monsoons and is still going strong. I was using a Petzl Tactica prior and it died after being out in a rain / hale storm for an hour or so…
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve got a priceton tech remix.  I love it except the latch to change the batteries keeps breaking.  If you need something for hard use that’s not the one.  

I’ve also got a aa zebralight that I really like; metal & standard batteries are a big plus for me.  

Finally, I picked up a surefire minimums headlight off the EE & it’s pretty nice.  It’s bulky but I like the ability to fine tune the amount of light coming out of it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:51:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Keep in mind the Zebralight is also just a miniature form factor of the old right angle headed flashlight that can be clipped to your web gear etc. if you don't want it on your head. The tail cap can be rotated a small amount to lock out function. Can make it more "tactical" than just a dedicated headlamp.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind the Zebralight is also just a miniature form factor of the old right angle headed flashlight that can be clipped to your web gear etc. if you don't want it on your head. The tail cap can be rotated a small amount to lock out function. Can make it more "tactical" than just a dedicated headlamp.
View Quote

This is a good point.  I normally keep my zebralight clipped into my pocket for edc.  I have the headband in the outer pouch if my pack though when I’m out so it can become a headlamp real quick.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the tactical use you have in mind?
View Quote

I would like all of my enemies to wear a tactical headlamp aka target designator.

Joking aside headlamps are super useful. I just wouldn't call their uses tactical.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I probably have 2 dozen headlamps at this point, and I have some that I have colored the white lens red with a sharpie...  There is no best light.  The ones that last are very dim, the ones that are usably bright, get hot and eat batteries.  None of them are really durable, the self contained aluminum flashlight style are the most durable, but they arent the best performing.  The ones with everything up front are great but none of them last very long, so bring more batteries.  The ones with the battery in back are great but they suck with most hoods or headgear.  The offset ones are always on the wrong side.  My current favorite is the lightbar, but it gets hot fast and is better for seeing than tactics.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Petzl makes a few that guard against ADs by defaulting to red when the power button is pressed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like Petzl NAO
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure if its “tactical” but I use a Streamlight Protac.  I’ve had it 5-6 years and paid $65-$70.  Works awesome.  Main uses are hunting and around the house tasks.  It it beats the pants off a POS Surefire I paid double for 10 years ago.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top