BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2020 10:57:50 AM EDT
Building my first scratch built AR and just wondering two things. One is the Forward Assist just a useless appendage slapped on by overzealous and inept ordnance department bureaucrats? Two, does anyone make a flattop upper without forward assist?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Building my first scratch built AR and just wondering two things. One is the Forward Assist just a useless appendage slapped on by overzealous and inept ordnance department bureaucrats? Two, does anyone make a flattop upper without forward assist?
View Quote
I never have and they are not needed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
They were a big thing in Vietnam, for silent load and after checking chamber.

It is always a good idea to use it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#3]
There are plenty of manufactures that make them. The first two that come to mind are Aero Precision and 2A Armament. The only time I've used the forward assist was to show people its function, never actually had the bolt fail to be all the way forward. I guess it is a more inconspiuous way to be able to check it that way rather than having to pull the CH back and possibly eject a round, but again I've never needed to yet. I guess for me it's similar to BUIS I might need them even though I haven't yet
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
does anyone make a flattop upper without forward assist?
View Quote
Everyone. well maybe not everyone but they are common and offered by Anderson, 2A, Aero Precision, etc.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have never used one.  If there is an issue with a round chambering you need to extract the bad round/fix the issue.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Every time I do a press check. So, thousands of times
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes.  After checking for live round to ensure the bolt is closed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I had to use it with my BCM upper a few times when using steel ammo.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I used them while in the military when we were in adverse conditions such as arctic conditions, swampy and sandy conditions. It is so engrained into my core I cant seem to go without one eventhough I have never needed it in my civilian life.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I have used it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Great for letting the bolt close slowly to avoid noise.
And then hitting the FA, to make sure its shut
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I figured it had probably been asked before but using the search function I can only go back 30 days. Is there a better way to search for topics?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep FA is awesome I would never buy a ar without
it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#15]
In the military 2 times... both when qualifying. I felt like one grain of sand in the action and used forward assist and both times they worked and it enabled me to qualify with all 40 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I figured it had probably been asked before but using the search function I can only go back 30 days. Is there a better way to search for topics?
View Quote
Using your preferred search engine you can search something like "forward assist site:ar15.com" and it'll give you arfcom results going way back.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Haven't done this topic in a bit.  
View Quote

If there isn't a sticky somewhere for this topic, there should be!

Yes the forward assist has its place.
Yes I have used the forward assist plenty of times while in the Army.
Yes people use it all the time to quietly chamber a round when hunting.

With that out of the way. If you have to do more than lightly tap the forward assist, you have a serious malfunction that will require remedial action. Don't hammer on the forward assist, ever!

There is definitely a love/hate relationship with the forward assist. some people love it and use it, others hate it and don't want one. In the end, it boils down to personal preference. I personally like having it and have used it for the intended use.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#18]
For all the reasons mentioned, No reason not to have one.  
Additional one-off reason not mentioned....
https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-gas-vent.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I have never used one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I actually used one for the first time on my PA10 this year deer hunting. In an effort to be quiet I must not of pulled the charging handle back all the way when first heading out to the stand. As I neared my stand I realized my bolt wasn't fully seated. Trying to minimize noise I smacked the forward assist several times, it was totally worthless. I ended up just ripping the charging handle all the way.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]
In hunting. I have a couple without FA and they look sleeker.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#22]
As other's have mentioned, I use it all the time after a press check to confirm the status of the chamber.  It's also good for maintaining noise discipline, and if your bolt carrier gets dirty (think sand in the receiver), this can help you keep the rifle up.

On a range toy it's not needed, but I would never own a fighting rifle without one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I've used one
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, 41 yrs ago in Boot camp.  They made me do it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve only used it during the low light/no light classes I have taken. If I happen to do a press check, I’ll give the FA a little push to make sure the bolt is forward because you can’t see it
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I use it every time I go hunting.  Personally, I wouldn’t have one without it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I use it when I do a chamber check every time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, many times
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I have more than I can count.

I rarely use it on my personal guns. But one of those things that I’d rather have and not need than vice versa.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#30]
As many times as we’ve done this thread, certain people still repeat the same tired old exaggerated nonsense to support their hatred of it.

It’s definitely not something you want to use to “force” anything that won’t go with gentle pressure. But if it were as dangerous as many suggest, we’d need to be re-engineering anything with reciprocating charging handles to prevent abuse.

Use it, don’t abuse it. Me, I like it just for press checks. However, people will advocate the most elaborate and complicated Rube Goldberg-sequel alternatives to a press check just to avoid acknowledging how simple, and fool proof a press check is. Then you have those who advocate just using the cut sap way on the bolt carrier to push the carrier forward. It’s good to practice in the event you don’t have a forward assist.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Every time I do a press check. So, thousands of times
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm using it now just because we are talking about it.

IMO, serious guns should have them. What's the downside of having forward assist?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Every once in a while, when I am all alone, so no one is watching me, I tap on my forward assist, just for fun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Like a small fire extinguisher in your car you'll probably never need it but if you *really* need it you'll be glad its there.

That said, I've used mine just to avoid the noise of the bolt smacking forward.  Out hunting I've used the charging handle to baby the carrier forward and press the plunger a few times to get the bolt fully seated.

In situations where it isn't mechanically needed or possible (some 9mm builds, rimfire builds, etc) or if you want to eliminate the couple of ounces of weight, yes there are plenty of slick side uppers to choose from.  Anderson offers a real basic flat top, no FA and to charging gate.  CDNN had S&W ones for a while cheap ($29?).  Matrix offers a side charging version (just got one in the mail today for my new build).

I've seen loading gate flap cover but no FA uppers but I do not remember which manufacture or vendor, and it would've been 3 years ago when I was building my 9mm PCC.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#35]
It is just a spring push, no where as strong as a bolt action.

If your chamber is dirty, and if a click vs a bang could be your death; then you need one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I used them while in the military when we were in adverse conditions such as arctic conditions, swampy and sandy conditions. It is so engrained into my core I cant seem to go without one eventhough I have never needed it in my civilian life.
View Quote
This ...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They were a big thing in Vietnam, for silent load and after checking chamber.

It is always a good idea to use it.
View Quote
I've used it a few times in my deer stand. I could get along without it though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#38]
ive had to on one that was knarly dirty. oil gunk from a shitload of shooting over time.
showed I needed to squirt more oil in it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Every time I load a round.....
Just a habit don't need it except when trying to change ammo quitely.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got one without it, won't have another one without it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#41]
They can come in very handy.  If you run into some bottled beer that is not twist offs the forward assist can be used as a bottle opener.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:28:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Great for letting the bolt close slowly to avoid noise.
And then hitting the FA, to make sure its shut
View Quote
That was my experience in the military. Chambering a round is not quiet. Sometimes you need quiet.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:09:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Locked and loaded when going into harms way.  The first bang is flip off the safety.  Very quiet up to that point.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:20:26 AM EDT
[#44]
How can you perform s.p.o.r.t.s. without one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes a lot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:33:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Everyone. well maybe not everyone but they are common and offered by Anderson, 2A, Aero Precision, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
does anyone make a flattop upper without forward assist?
My Smith sport (original gen 1) doesn't have forward assist. And I like it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:26:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Especially on new builds that haven't been broken in yet completely. Chambering the first round from a fresh magazine sometimes the bolt doesn't close all the way and a couple taps on the FA seats it in full battery.

Also same thing for doing a "quiet" loading of the chamber for hunting, or for tactical reasons, gently pull back the CH and gently ride it forward.  Usually hangs up on the back of the cartridge in the mag.  Reach over and gently push the FA while still riding the CH and then it will chamber the round mainly but not fully go into battery.  Another couple taps on the FA to get into full battery.  That is how you load first round into chamber off a fresh mag while not making a bunch of noise.

For these reasons I now prefer uppers with FA even though they usually cost me a little more.

Also press checks when the bolt is withdrawn just enough to visually confirm a live round is in the chamber.  Often when you let the bolt go back forward it takes a tap on the FA to fully seat the bolt again.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#48]
This "quiet" cambering argument is a bunch of crap.  Do you conceal carry?  Do you not put a magazine in, chamber a round and put on safe before holstering?  Going hunting, load the magazine but not chamber a round and put on safe?   I'm so WTF.

"Oh.  I'm in danger now.  Time to get ready.    There's the buck of a life time, time to load a round...."
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This "quiet" cambering argument is a bunch of crap.  Do you conceal carry?  Do you not put a magazine in, chamber a round and put on safe before holstering?  Going hunting, load the magazine but not chamber a round and put on safe?   I'm so WTF.

"Oh.  I'm in danger now.  Time to get ready."
View Quote
Breaking news!

AR15's have a floating firing pin.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#50]
So what's your point?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top