Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2022 11:45:15 PM EDT
Decided to try a different route since I let y’all talk me out of an ultrasonic cleaner. I did what any rational man would do, buy a cheap Harbor Freight model and spend hundreds of dollars and plenty of time upgrading it!

Started off with the HF 20 gallon unit. Bare bones but solid platform and it did come with a shelf and parts bin. The pump however was a water fountain pump. No way it would hold up to stoddard solvent.

Some folks go with the oversized Little Giant solvent pump but it would have required major mods to make it fit in the existing pump housing. I opted for the Beckett 210 GPH as it fit in the existing footprint.

I bent my own sheet metal for a bracket to keep it off the very bottom of the housing. Used conduit and a PVC cap for the wiring to be protected from the solvent. I couldn’t use the existing outlet from the pump housing so that hole got plugged and I drilled a new outlet hole up top and used a grommet where my 3/8” fuel grade hose runs out. Wiring up new pump to switch with spade connectors was a breeze.

Attachment Attached File

Next up was an external filter. I used bulkhead fittings for a cleaner touch instead of just drilling holes to run the hose in/out. The 90 degree fittings will cause some pressure loss, but I knew the pump would be much more powerful than stock unit. I used a Wix filter head and a larger Wix fuel filter. Some people use oil filters which all seem to have a bypass valve built in around 8 PSID. Basically they start bypassing after a pressure differential across the filter. With the fuel filter, I know it will be time to change when flow output slows down but will always have clean solvent to work with.

Attachment Attached File

It was an afterthought to add a flow control valve so solvent isn’t splashing all over the place. Even with the filter and head pressure / pressure loss, it was still too powerful. Lost the stupid factory spigot and added an Oriflo flow-thru nylon brush.

Attachment Attached File

I’m using PSC 1000 from Tractor Supply and it’s great. I took down my oldest and most used AR lower and cleaned it today. Add some nylon brushes and scrubbers. This was done as a trial and I was impressed with results.

To keep the fumes down and solvent from evaporating I added a D-profile seal on the lid and used aluminum tape around the switch housing where it hangs (there was a gap here). I can honestly say my garage has no smell at all with lid closed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Last but not least was to add a drain valve in place of the plug on the tank. I’ll add some more 3/8” fuel hose here to be able to drain the solvent if needed, or when it’s time to replace.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, that’s some nice upgrades to a low cost parts washer!
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#3]
nice job.......
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking good.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top