Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2022 8:16:03 PM EDT
My buddy went shooting today and sent pics of his handguard(old Samson Evo I believe) coming loose.  He tried to tighten everything back down and it loosened again.  I figure its about time for him to upgrade.  The upper is a pinned 14.5” I sold him 6-7 years ago, so looking for something that uses that standard barrel nut.  I know about Centurion’s c4 and Fortis REV handguards.  What else is out there thats solid?

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Sampson, what a pos...
Got one of those on the Macon Armory upper I bought.
Tried to use a picatinny front sight, and would never hold zero.
Finally machined out a bushing that inserted into the pos hand guard, and that stopped the movement.
But got tiered of dealing with the threaded steel inserts for attaching shit to it, so going with am ADE KeyLok hand guard, and doesn't use stinking pinch screws to retain it.
Under $40 at opticsplanet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Centurion's C4 is probably the way to go if you want to keep that nut on there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 Samsons - one on a range queen and the other on my hog rifle - both gtg.
I have been buying SLR hg's for my newer builds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a fortis rev for years. Never could get used to the full length lower rail (overall shape felt like a 2x4 on edge). I ended up giving it to a friend and bought a troy alpha. Don't do that. Their mounting system sucks balls. Swapped that out for the newer forms rev 2. I'm happy now. It's comfortable and locks up well. The "OD" is a very bright anodized, but if you're going black it's a non-issue.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
C4 or REV II

Don’t buy a Troy. Their method of attachment to the barrel nut is subpar at best.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that's not a standard barrel nut
View Quote

The pic in the OP shows the "thermal bushing" setup that shrouds a USGI style barrel nut.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The pic in the OP shows the "thermal bushing" setup that shrouds a USGI style barrel nut.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm, interesting
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Mission First Tactical guard from Gouger Mountain on clearance when they closed. $60, goes over the stock nut, works great. Worth the $60, but regular price was $200.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Faxon carbon fiber

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:28:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering about that.

Midwest Industries and Centurion would be my recommendations.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Centurion C4 is the nicest of all the rails that take a USGI nut.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#13]
For std bbl nuts, Centurion C4 and FCD RHF4 lead the pack. Not everyone wants to pay the money but they're solid.

Never was a fan of anything that relied on pinching the barrel nut  for retention personally.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#14]
VLTOR CASV is a nice rail. They are a little heavy, but rock solid.
Not mine, but I do have one similar.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Troy MLOK Battle Rail.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/WPYV1nd.jpeg
Troy MLOK Battle Rail.
View Quote

Troy’s method of attaching the rail to the barrel nut is garbage. It’s not a matter of “if” but “when” the rail will slip off the nut.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Troy’s method of attaching the rail to the barrel nut is garbage. It’s not a matter of “if” but “when” the rail will slip off the nut.
View Quote

After the 2nd time mine did it I chucked it aside and used something else. I'm not even sure what happened to it. Hell, I might have thrown it in the trash.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I like centurion and MI rails if you don't want to use the delta ring.

KAC or vltor if you use the delta ring.

I love my CASV
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I must be lucky.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I must be lucky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must be lucky.

1. Take a good 2-day carbine course
2. Bring a spare rifle for when the handguard inevitably comes off
3. Once home, replace Troy handguard with something that actually attaches to the barrel nut
4. Profit

Seriously, I never had a problem with and was a big fan of the Troy rails...until I took a carbine class and actually ran the gun hard. As soon as I got home I started ordering handguards to replace the 3 or 4 Troy rails I had at the time. The only advantage that Troy has over other options that attach to a standard barrel nut is price.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have 2 Samsons - one on a range queen and the other on my hog rifle - both gtg.
I have been buying SLR hg's for my newer builds.
View Quote

I have one that has been good and ordered another yesterday. Seems like every time I order something I see a thread about what a pos it is the next day.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

1. Take a good 2-day carbine course
2. Bring a spare rifle for when the handguard inevitably comes off
3. Once home, replace Troy handguard with something that actually attaches to the barrel nut
4. Profit

Seriously, I never had a problem with and was a big fan of the Troy rails...until I took a carbine class and actually ran the gun hard. As soon as I got home I started ordering handguards to replace the 3 or 4 Troy rails I had at the time. The only advantage that Troy has over other options that attach to a standard barrel nut is price.
View Quote

Like I said I must be lucky. That rifle has been through two  courses and accidentally dropped out of tree stand. The only issue with the rail was a screw coming loose, which I re-torqued and haven't had an issue since. I think most people ignore the torque specs, screw it in and call it good. It's also a sample size of one.

And to get back on track, OP was asking about rails that use standard barrel nuts which the Troy does.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have one that has been good and ordered another yesterday. Seems like every time I order something I see a thread about what a pos it is the next day.
View Quote

I would have sold you mine for cheap-cheap...
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Apex is good system but a little dated.

I have a couple that are 10 years old or more. Still solid. Cans fit under them too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Apex is good system but a little dated.

I have a couple that are 10 years old or more. Still solid. Cans fit under them too.
View Quote

I knew there was a one I was forgetting.  I’ve always dug the Apex Machine handguards.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll work fine for this gun which will be a varmint / bull barrel build. I usually prefer Midwest handguards but it looked like the larger gas block might be too big to fit inside one. The Samson has plenty of room.

Honestly I don't shoot my other rifle with a Samson much anymore. It's a pin and weld to 16" that I put together before I saw the light and started buying rifle silencers. The handguard hasn't moved at all though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I have some extra Apex Machine handguards laying around after I switched to the Midwest suppressor ready handguards. If you are interested let me know. They are not abused and will fit over any gasblock as the inside is about 1.7 diameter.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Fortis rev 2 uses a standard barrel nut. Midwest Industries has an older one that does too. Can't remember which one it is though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fortis rev 2 uses a standard barrel nut. Midwest Industries has an older one that does too. Can't remember which one it is though.
View Quote

MI Gen 2/2 pc FF clamp to a USGI style bbl nut.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top