Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2021 11:09:03 AM EDT
I'm sure canted handguard issues get posted 5 times a day...  So I just completed a new build a couple weeks ago.  I got everything I wanted on it but after completing it I come to find out the handguard is very, very slightly canted to the right.  I haven't been able to sight it in yet so I don't know how much it impacts the POI on the irons.  I just am OCD so it kind of bugs me.  The upper is a generic Palmetto State Armory upper and the handguard is a 14" MI T-Series Combat Rail.  The barrel is centered inside the handguard well so I don't think it's the barrel.

With how minor the cant is it may not even be an issue... just wanted to get people's thoughts on it.

From the look of it the sides of the MI handguard that slip between the upper are slightly out of spec?  The fit was very tight and I had to seat the handguard with a rubber mallet.

Here's some pics:

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can get your irons sighted it the issue will be limited to aesthetics.

Unfortunately, due to the press fit between the upper and the rail "ears" to be able to align them properly, metal would need to be removed from one or the other and that would result in an aesthetics issue too unless you re-anodize the part from which you remove material. At least with the press fit you get a rail that cannot rotate.

I would try to see if your irons are able to be zero'd and if so leave well enough alone.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
My MI combat rail was like that. I put the upper in a vise, loosened the rail, twisted it by hand, and retightened it. It perfect and hasn’t moved.

Put some effort into it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My MI combat rail was like that. I put the upper in a vise, loosened the rail, twisted it by hand, and retightened it. It perfect and hasn’t moved.

Put some effort into it.
View Quote

Tried that.  I can get it lined up just about perfect but when I tighten the screws it cants it again.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they have drugs that can help you.
See your Doctor.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you can get your irons sighted it the issue will be limited to aesthetics.

Unfortunately, due to the press fit between the upper and the rail "ears" to be able to align them properly, metal would need to be removed from one or the other and that would result in an aesthetics issue too unless you re-anodize the part from which you remove material. At least with the press fit you get a rail that cannot rotate.

I would try to see if your irons are able to be zero'd and if so leave well enough alone.
View Quote

Ended up just taking the dremel to it and removing a small amount of material off the right ear.  Since it's inside the ear you can't even tell.  Did some trial and error removal of material and tested fit until it was perfect.  Now everything is lined up well.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Put some effort into it.
View Quote

I align handguards by using a 5" picc riser:

1) lower in magblock in vise
2) loosen handguard
3) put on picc riser so it spans the handguard and upper and tighten down (hard)
4) tighten handguard and remove picc riser

So that gets me good enough alignment.

Is it perfect?  Possibly not.

Does it pass the eye test?  Yes.

Do I have to bubba up the handguard?  No.

Can I sleep at night after doing this?  Yes.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top