Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2021 11:51:58 AM EDT
I'm completing an 80% lower build, and am wondering how important handguard length is. I've decided on a 16" barrel and an M-Lok handguard, but BCM offers a choice between a 13" handguard and a 15" handguard for 16" barrels.

What advantages/disadvantages do the 13"/15" lengths offer?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#1]
15" - more rail space for activities, at the expense of additional weight
13" - less rail space for activities, with the benefit of less weight

There's also a component of aesthetics, some people like one look over the other.

Depending on the gas system length you may gain further benefit of protecting the gas block from impact, but on a 16" gun you're most likely going with mid-length or carbine gas, so both would cover the gas block.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Agree with the other post. Personally I’d go with the 15” rail for the slight additional weight.

This is just what I personally would do, as I don’t care for the barrel sticking out more from the rail. Everyone has their own preferences though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one 16" with a 15" rail and i am going to shorten it as soon as I get a chance.  I do not like the look and do not need the rail space.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go 13.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Longer sight radius with a longer rail, if you're using irons.

Other than that, it's pure personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are resting the barrel on a rooftop or log or something similar, you need as much rail as possible. Also, the longer rail will cover more of a hot barrel preventing hands and clothes from touching it. More real estate too. The only downside is weight which from a 13" to 15" is maybe 2 oz.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
A 15” rail on a 16” barrel is about as long as you can go. You’ll have about 1/8” and a muzzle device sticking out the end.

I like more rail on my shorties because they generally wear a suppressor, and less rail on my longer guns (14.5+). Don’t forget about placement of lights and other accessories too. With a really long rail, even a scout light could end up getting fogged by muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

If irons are your primary you are better served with an A2 FSB in the rifle position even if it means going dissy.  You will have POI shift with irons on a long rail when resting.  If irons are BUIS only it really doesn't make a whole lotta difference as you will likely never use them in anger anyway, and if you do it will likely not be a long distance encounter so sight radius is less of a factor.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top