Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2021 11:18:12 PM EDT
I am absolutely stuck and unable to make a decision on a handguard for my 14.5 FSB mid length upper. Literally can’t decide on a single aspect: quad rail vs mlok, free float vs drop in... This is intended to be a HD/SHTF gun. It will have a red dot but no magnifier in the plans. I really don’t think free floating is necessary for me but yet the DD omega 9 mlok is calling my name.. I’m rambling here so let’s focus on the lockup mechanism of the different rails:

Are free-floated 2 piece options that attach to a standard GI barrel nut sacrificing something in terms of durability or ability to hold zero? I’m talking options like DD omega or centurion. It stands to reason that there must be something less than ideal with them or proprietary barrel nuts wouldn’t need to exist right?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you're trying to hold a zero on a laser, I wouldn't worry much. DD makes fantastic rails, mlok and quad.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Rocking a D.D. Omega 9" Picatinny on my 14.5 FSB pencil barrel AR.

Was pinned & welded so the D.D. Omega was the 'no saw' option to allow me to be to free-floating or return to "stock" as I chose.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you're trying to hold a zero on a laser, I wouldn't worry much. DD makes fantastic rails, mlok and quad.

View Quote

Indeed.

If you have an FSB and don't mind it (nor should you), then just grab an Omega or C4 as you say. I have Omegas and they've been great.

If you can't decide which style, then just get MLOK. I personally prefer quads, but if I were starting anew today, I'd probably go MLOK, but I'm old and my stuff is old
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rocking a D.D. Omega 9" Picatinny on my 14.5 FSB pencil barrel AR.

Was pinned & welded so the D.D. Omega was the 'no saw' option to allow me to be to free-floating or return to "stock" as I chose.
View Quote

You too? I have the same set up. Great do-aller, I feel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much all modern rails are going to be free floated. They are lighter, easier to install, more accurate and just better in every way.

Quad rails are also a thing of the past. They are heavy, bulky, and have been superseded by M lok as a practical standard.

bottom line, unless you are dead set on having that 1990 look, you want free floated M-lok rails.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:03:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Both the DD and C4 are rock solid performers. USGI nut securement is not a concern.

Quads are my preferred.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#7]
C4.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Parts are scarce these days. A buddy of mine picked up a 15" Aero Precision free float M-lok handguard and low pro gas block at a local shop because it was in stock. It's a fantastic handguard and looks better in person than in pics. LOTS of machining detail. Personally I prefer quad rails with LaRue Index clips, but can't be picky these days if you're in a hurry.

I always prefer free float hand guards for many reason.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I run the little DD Omega 7.0 on a carbine.  Rock solid.  The carbine version is the same weight as the mil spec plastic hand guards it replaces.  The 9" version may be a couple ounces more.  Light, versatile, and strong.  Narrower than most quad rails, too.

Free float, even if you don't "need" it for a red dot, gives you the versatility to run a magnifier or a scope on down the road.

The M-lok versions look intriguing.  Might be interested for a new build, but that would involve either stacking picatinny rail sections on it, or buying new M-lok attachments for it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pretty much all modern rails are going to be free floated. They are lighter, easier to install, more accurate and just better in every way.

Quad rails are also a thing of the past. They are heavy, bulky, and have been superseded by M lok as a practical standard.

bottom line, unless you are dead set on having that 1990 look, you want free floated M-lok rails.
View Quote

Heavier, bulkier, superceded?  See my post above.  My DD Omega 7.0 is probably lighter than any rail you run.  It is the same weight as plastic handguards. Only 1.9" wide including the top of the rail slots, is free float, and is a true drop in design.  How is your "modern" rail easier to install?

I have no prejudice against modern modular rails - have several.  Prefer them with match barreled precision builds.

But, there are circumstances where quad rails, especially the short ones when behind a fixed A2 front sight and used with a simple white weapon light, make a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input guys. You’ve been very helpful! Going to go with the DD omega 9.0 in mlok.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top