Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2022 10:09:10 AM EDT
Hi,
   I machined an 80% lower. When I drilled the hammer and trigger pin holes I forgot that twist drills don't necessarily produce true to size holes and mine measure .157+" with a pin gage. I bought some oversize hammer and trigger pins and the .156" pins fit through the the trigger and hammer.  Or should I use normal spec. hammer and trigger pins?
    My question is will the oversize holes cause the lower to wear faster or cause tolerance stacking issues with the other parts?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#1]
0.1575" is the max end of spec.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#2]
.157 is w/in spec

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
if worse becomes worse you could drill them out to .174 and use some old Colt oversized pins and FCG.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually, no, unless he is getting the lower anodized per the drawing.

You are forgetting that is the machining drawing and all dimension apply BEFORE final finish, aka anodizing.

The anodizing adds to the substrate.  So, with an anodizing thickness of 0.001 +/- .0002", the maximum hole diameter is 0.1558".

All that said, it doesn't really matter that much, if you don't anodize it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You are forgetting that is the machining drawing and all dimension apply BEFORE final finish, aka anodizing.

The anodizing adds to the substrate.  So, with an anodizing thickness of 0.001 +/- .0002", the maximum hole diameter is 0.1558".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"All dimensions apply before finish".

You are correct, I overlooked that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Oh, and that drawing has a few errors . . .

Mainly in the area of the bolt catch slot, but there are others, and an omission or two that can get you into trouble.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hi,
   I machined an 80% lower. When I drilled the hammer and trigger pin holes I forgot that twist drills don't necessarily produce true to size holes and mine measure .157+" with a pin gage. I bought some oversize hammer and trigger pins and the .156" pins fit through the the trigger and hammer.  Or should I use normal spec. hammer and trigger pins?
    My question is will the oversize holes cause the lower to wear faster or cause tolerance stacking issues with the other parts?
Thanks
View Quote

In the future if you continue to build 80% lowers and want to continue to improve, learn to drill undersize holes and then use reamers to final size for more perfect holes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hi,

Thanks
View Quote
Oversized holes may cause a milspec trigger group to double, triple, or go full auto.  I found this out installing small pins in a large pin Colt.  It may also just fail to fire. (this would be the extreme of an oversized hole example)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top