Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2021 11:26:32 AM EDT
Can someone with a Hahn block tell me the height from the top of the block to the top of the feed ramp on the front of the ramp?

I have a dedicated 9mm lower from Black Creek Precision that is .300" while my Hahn block is only .225" which seems to be causing me problems with HP ammo as it doesn't make it into the barrel without deforming the HP.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Hahn dedicated magwell in an Anderson lower. I’m just confused on where you need it measured?

I will be able to post measurements tomorrow once I figure out where you need them from.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Between the two lines please.

The top of the body of the block (the top of the lower) to the center of the ramp.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Getting JHP ammo to feed in a Colt system is problematic.... a barrel chamber face mod by Macon Armory is about your only attempt at getting satisfactory feeding results.

I have a stock 6450 and a Colt 10.5” upper with Hahn block and Neither feeds jhp reliably

H
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The top of the body of the block (the top of the lower) to the center of the ramp.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128059/gQ3uaJE_d_2_jpg-1849154.JPG
View Quote

Got it, will post measurements tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Getting JHP ammo to feed in a Colt system is problematic.... a barrel chamber face mod by Macon Armory is about your only attempt at getting satisfactory feeding results.

I have a stock 6450 and a Colt 10.5” upper with Hahn block and Neither feeds jhp reliably

H
View Quote

Good to know.

My QC10 barrel on the same lower with the Hahn block doesn't so much as nick the XTP in my testing so it can be done it appears.

I did cave and ordered 8.5" and 10.5" barrels from Macon Armory today so we'll see how they work.

If nothing else I guess I'll switch lowers around.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128059/gQ3uaJE_d_2_jpg-1849154.JPG

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
My measurements are 0.225in

The same as yours, on a personal note I have never tried HP ammo through the gun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The same as yours, on a personal note I have never tried HP ammo through the gun.
View Quote

Okay.  Thanks for the confirmation!

Hopefully the Macon Armory barrel will work as well as my QC10 barrel does with JHP.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hopefully the Macon Armory barrel will work as well as my QC10 barrel does with JHP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did go out and shoot my 9mm AR pistol today with Federal made Expanding FMJ loads and experienced one failure to feed, the EFMJ is kinda like a 9mm wad cutter. So ya no hollow points for me
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I did go out and shoot my 9mm AR pistol today with Federal made Expanding FMJ loads and experienced one failure to feed, the EFMJ is kinda like a 9mm wad cutter. So ya no hollow points for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know....thanks for checking!

Maybe I'm just expecting too much and was just spoiled that the QC10 barrel eats anything.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe I'm just expecting too much and was just spoiled that the QC10 barrel eats anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem, and my barrel is a Faxon 10.5ish inch barrel I think. I’m starting to think that this is an issue with the platform
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah it could be a platform issue as a whole.

The QC10 barrel was my first exposure with HP's so I guess I just ASSumed that they should work.

I'm still going to sell the BA barrel though as they said they only guarantee it to feed FMJ  (which isn't stated anywhere on the product page) and won't take it back since I installed it into an upper (it has to be in new and unused condition).  Overall, they were kind of jerks about it...oh well.  I just know not to buy anything from them again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The QC10 barrel was my first exposure with HP's so I guess I just ASSumed that they should work.

I'm still going to sell the BA barrel though as they said they only guarantee it to feed FMJ and won't take it back since I installed it into an upper (which isn't stated anywhere on the product page).  Overall, they were kind of jerks about it...oh well.  I just know not to buy anything from them again.
View Quote

That’s shitty, I have had good luck with them. Damn that really dampens my view of them. Sorry about that
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm still going to sell the BA barrel though as they said they only guarantee it to feed FMJ  (which isn't stated anywhere on the product page) and won't take it back since I installed it into an upper (it has to be in new and unused condition).  Overall, they were kind of jerks about it...oh well.  I just know not to buy anything from them again.
View Quote

I have the BA 8.3" 9mm barrel and it eats anything, but I am using Endomags and a standard lower.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The Macon Armory "guaranteed to feed" feed cone should fix you right up.  Both my AR9 ( 1 Colt/KAK adapter, 1 Glock ) have the modification and feed all ammo including 147 HST without issues.  Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Macon Armory "guaranteed to feed" feed cone should fix you right up.  Both my AR9 ( 1 Colt/KAK adapter, 1 Glock ) have the modification and feed all ammo including 147 HST without issues.  Worth every penny.
View Quote

That's my hope.  They'll be here on Monday.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

H
View Quote

Went shooting yesterday with my Macon modified barrel on a CMMG mark 9 lower............gobbles up everything!
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got a couple Colt style mag. lowers.

One is using a Spikes dedicated 9MM lower and PSA upper.  No issues with hollow points.  Not 115 grain anyway.  My reloads (same load I carry/shoot in my CZ pistols.)  115 grain Precision Delta or Everglades (different profiles) feed perfectly, so far.

The second is an Anderson lower with a 9MM mag. adaptor in the mag. well.  Again, no issues with the 115 grain hollow points.

The Spikes lower and one other PSA lower I know of (also a dedicated 9MM lower) had to have the bullet guide/ramp up front modified in order to get the upper/lower to close with the bolt installed.  I modified the feed ramps on both to get the receivers to close/clear the bolts and both worked fine afterwards (no idea about hollow points in PSA upper/lower pistol).

On the two I modified I also polished the metal mirror smooth/shiny.

Can't tell you how much they were lowered.  The picture isn't so good as I think the polished area was throwing off the focus/distance it was so bright/reflective compared to the rest.  Gives you an idea for how wide it was vs. the receiver.

This was the Spikes lower, not the standard AR15 lower with the mag. block in it.

Maybe I've just been lucky with mine feeding, but I've not tried 124 grain or 147 grain hollow points.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top