Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2022 4:06:52 PM EDT
Just starting to go down the HK416 rabbit hole.  What's the most economical way to get a nearly facsimile HK416 in either a 10.5 or 14.5 inch length?  Any recommendations on which will perform better?  It looks like properly gassing needs to be addressed.  Intending to shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 5:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raverill] [#1]
Do you plan on using an OSS can?

Are you familiar with these 416 clones from brownells?

https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/bapid=865/ClientPage/brownells-brn-4
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The vented gas block is a great add on.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:52:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TurtlesAlltheWayDown] [#3]
MR556/416s are snappy by design.  

Short AR15s are a relatively new thing.  Back in the day when the need was identified for reliable, short AR15s, HK responded with the 416.  By today's standards its way overgassed.  Add a can and its even more overgassed.

16"/14.5 versions come with vented gas blocks.  Run fine suppressed & unsuppressed.

10.4 generally come with non-vented gas blocks.  A few years ago there was a vented 10.4 gas block (smaller vent than 14.5/16).  Despite what the internet says these ran just fine suppressed and unsuppressed for hundreds of thousands / millions of rounds.  Albeit more recoil / snap when compared to a 2023 finely tuned DI gun but again those guns and what defines "finely tuned" didnt exist until recently.

Adjustable gas blocks are becoming more popular.  For the short guns especially this is a good thing.  

Make sure to use a HK or heavier buffer.

DI guns have come a very long way in 20 years but there are benefits to the piston system.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:06:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TurtlesAlltheWayDown:
10.4 generally come with non-vented gas blocks.
View Quote

That was almost 20 years ago and HK quickly realized their mistake when suppressed, so they added the vent. It’s much better suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure how the Brownells BRN-4 barrels are gassed, but I chopped and threaded a 16" MR556 barrel down to 12.5" at work and only had to open up the gas port slightly from its original size.

I also run a Vltor A5 buffer setup, so my complete rig runs super smooth suppressed and unsuppressed. I think if you followed a similar formula you would be very happy. I cannot speak to a factory 10.4" HK upper and how gassy that would be.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I converted a Titan receiver set to use a 10.5" AR barrel and installed a vented 14.5 gas block over a 1.6mm gas port. It shoots great with a suppressor but is SUPER over gassed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By IslandTimes:
I converted a Titan receiver set to use a 10.5" AR barrel and installed a vented 14.5 gas block over a 1.6mm gas port. It shoots great with a suppressor but is SUPER over gassed.
View Quote

Which buffer and spring?
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By APSArmament:

Which buffer and spring?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APSArmament:

Which buffer and spring?

A5H0 buffer and spring. That's not even the problem though. The gas rings ate my US-made piston, and the carrier key on my Brownells bolt carrier has started to deform. No gas to the face, but the accelerated parts wear is concerning. I replaced the piston with a OEM HK one, but haven't had a chance to fire it since then.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 11:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TurtlesAlltheWayDown] [#9]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

That was almost 20 years ago and HK quickly realized their mistake when suppressed, so they added the vent. It’s much better suppressed.
View Quote

Fuck, im getting old.  Not that old though.  Dunno, our long guns were vented with "14.5/16" gas blocks.  Short guns didnt have vents but some later did but we were told 14.5/16 vented gas blocks =/= 10.4 vented gas blocks.  10.4 guns ran either way, albeit in normal psychotic 416 cyclic rate even with the vent.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]

A5H0 buffer and spring. That's not even the problem though. The gas rings ate my US-made piston, and the carrier key on my Brownells bolt carrier has started to deform. No gas to the face, but the accelerated parts wear is concerning. I replaced the piston with a OEM HK one, but haven't had a chance to fire it since then.
View Quote

Yes, buffer amd spring matter.

An equivilent spring in strength to the HK spring is necessary. Just up buffering won't help.

Excessive bolt speeds caused by improper buffer/spring will manifest excessive wear and damage.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top