Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2022 9:18:53 AM EDT
So, I have a 16" 5.56 upper finished and a 8.5" 300blk upper finished that both need lights. I'm completely new to WML but have done some light research (pun intended ).
I don't want to spend ~$300 on each setup. I'd like to stick to under $150 each. I've looked into some of the market leaders such as Cloud Defensive, Modlite, and Surefire but they're all too spendy. I've seen that some people "frankenstein" their WML with different brand bodies, heads, tail caps and switches which I'm not against if the price is right. Ex. Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount HL-X with Arisaka Tailcap Adapter and Modbutton Lite but that's ~$250+ too.

I don't know if I will top rail mount or 45* offset M-LOK mount the lights yet and the pressure switches (suggestions appreciated). I haven't looked into the pressure switches much yet but I like the aesthetic of the Modbutton and maybe even the Unity Hot Button. How do those compare to the longer pressure switches such as the Streamlight OEM or Surefire offerings?

I'd like the setups to be fairly lightweight but my research has found that most complete kits are between the 6-8oz range anyway. Not sure how to save weight there. Dual powered seems like a good benefit but I also like the compact models like the REIN Mini's aesthetic. Any practical difference between a 18650/CR123A vs 18350 powered models?

My POU of the 8.5" 300BLK is home defense indoors, subs only, suppressed 100% of the time.
My POU of the 16" is as a training rifle, plinking/target shooting,"RECCE"/"Truck gun", suppressed a vast majority of the time.

I've found a few that I'm interested in as well as being closer to my budge but unsure of:
1. Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2 - $120
2. Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount HL-X - $130
3. Arisaka 300, SureFire UE, Modlite Modbutton Lite, Arisaka Inline - $336+
4. Modlite, tail cap, modbutton lite, Arisaka inline - $470+
Thrunite TW20 - $80
Olight Odin - $160
Olight Odin Mini - $140

Are there some other complete kits ~$150 price point that I should consider?

HELP.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
@KO21outdoors

I'd avoid the Olights based on the issues they've had (look at the other threads about them) and go with the Streamlights.  If you follow the EE you might be able to get a kit for $150, but I doubt it.

ETA: Streamlight is usually the least expensive option guys are willing to pursue for anything involving serious use.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Streamlight is the only one you listed I would trust, but consider this.

An ACOG is $1100.
A knock off is $100.

A Microtech is $400.
A knock off is $30.

An American made rifle handguard is $200-$300.
A Chinese made one is $30.

An Aimpoint is $600.
A Chinese red dot is $100.

An Olight is $180.
A Cloud Defensive is $270.

If you compare the ratios there, Chinese lights are actually one of the biggest rip offs you can buy into. I remember when Olight didn’t make a light over $50. With aggressive marketing, they’ve gone up a TON in price, despite still being low performing fire starters that aren’t waterproof.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
@bdover
@olds442tyguy

Okay. I found a memorial day sale on Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2 and HL-X for $94 and $97 respectively. Any reason to go with 1 of each or should I just go with both of the same? I like the size of the 2 better but the brightness of the HL-X is obviously better. Leaning towards 2 of the HL-X...

What Arisaka mount would you recommend for the Streamlight? In-line or offset? Try one of each?
Mess with Cloud Defensive LCS or just zip-tie the factory rubber mounts with the tape switch in them to the rail?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I’d go with the HLX. I believe they come with a pressure switch mount, but it was pretty ghetto if I recall. It’s been a bit since I had my hands on one. But the Cloud LCS would likely be a good investment, but then you’re pushing the cost up quite a bit.

I’m not familiar with Arisaka’s mounts, so no advice I can give there.

I’d get the HLX, save on the side, and grab a Cloud light when they go on sale.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Streamlight's give really decent light performance, but their pressure pads suck. I have replaced 3 over the past two years. Yes, the Arisaka tail cap adapter can resolve that, but then you might as well just pay a little bit more and get a light with even better performance. When looking at light performance, candela ratings are what you really want to look at. If you never plan on using it outside of your house, it may not be as important as you won't have distance or much, if any, photonic barriers to deal with. Unless an intruder has a better light than you.

I have owned all three of Streamlight's most typical offerings: Rail Mount 1, 2, & HL-X, both gen 1 REIN's, Modlite PLHv2 & OKW, an Arisaka 300 series with Malkoff E1HT head, and even an Olight Odin. There is nothing compact about the REIN Micro, at least the Gen 1. I recently took one off of my Mk18 and installed a 18650 Modlite. The size is damn near the same and I get much longer battery life. Most 18350 lights last about a third of the run time as a 18650 bodied light. If the smallest light package is more important to you, a 18350 or CR123 Modlite or Arisaka is what you want. I also really prefer Modlite or Arisaka because of their modularity. With CD you're stuck with just their switch or tail cap. I do really dig the Hot Button.

Streamlight is really the only serious option you have if you're not looking to spend more than $150. If you go that route I'd recommend running it with a tail cap versus their pressure switch, just based on my personal experiences with them on two different lights. I'm sure lots of people have had no issues with them, but their switches have a poor rep for a reason. Considering a light is one of the first of two upgrades you should have on a defensive gun, with the other being a sling, I just don't feel that's something I want to risk.

My recommendation is to up your budget. This racket ain't cheap, you just gotta accept it.  lol  I've wasted quite a bit of money going cheap, only to end up getting what I really wanted later. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@bdover
@olds442tyguy

Okay. I found a memorial day sale on Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2 and HL-X for $94 and $97 respectively. Any reason to go with 1 of each or should I just go with both of the same? I like the size of the 2 better but the brightness of the HL-X is obviously better. Leaning towards 2 of the HL-X...

What Arisaka mount would you recommend for the Streamlight? In-line or offset? Try one of each?
Mess with Cloud Defensive LCS or just zip-tie the factory rubber mounts with the tape switch in them to the rail?
View Quote

Arisaka is my go-to light mount. What types of rails do you have on your guns?

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: Arisaka is my go-to light mount. What types of rails do you have on your guns?
View Quote

I have a Troy SOCC Battle Rail Mlok on my 9" 300BLK and a no name light weight 15" Mlok with mlock at the 3, 6, and 9 on my 16". Thinking about replacing both with MI Combat Mlok rails. Unsure yet.

I bought an inline for the 300BLK and an offset for the 16" 5.56.

I also bought 2 HL-X, CD LCS for ~$157 ea. so $314 for 2 setups.

I'm very very interested in the Arisaka 300/Malkoff E1HT/SF UE/Modbutton Lite or the Modlite PLHv2 18350/SF UE/Modbutton Lite but didn't want to spend $299 and $424 respectively. I feel like I got 2 for the price of one and need to test the Streamlights out for myself I guess.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 HL-X on my 2 HD Rifles because i didn't want to spend more than tripple on a Surefire / Switch Combo and the HL-X had everything included.
The pressure Pads on the Streamlights are not super nice but they do what they are supposed to. One thing to be aware off : they are not waterproof (IPx4 instead of IPx7) with the remote tail cap.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Just get a fuckin Modlite. Streamlight if you wanna cheap out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Cloud Defense Rein! I bought their mlok offset mount. I’ve bought the Gen 1 version with the kit package that includes the rail mount switch and cable management system. It was on sale for $299 plus the cost of the mount. This is a pretty good deal for that kind of quality!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#11]

For the money, I find the Streamlight a very good option.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I love both of my streamlights and have not had issues with the pad...yet.

I have not tried other lights so my experience is VERY limited.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a pretty simple philosophy on lights.

If I want cheap, I get Streamlight.

If I life depends on it, it's getting a Surefire.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Inforce WML is a good, inexpensive light. I’ve owned a few and the Gen 2 lights are nice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Another one to consider is the Surefire G2X. Not a crazy good light but I think the navigation setting can be beneficial, plus they’re super cheap.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another one to consider is the Surefire G2X. Not a crazy good light but I think the navigation setting can be beneficial, plus they’re super cheap.
View Quote

Surefire G2X tactical, Odin Works mount, and Malkoff or Lumens Factory guarded tail cap comes in at a little less than $150.  600 lumens and plenty enough for a HD gun.

TLR-1 rifle kit is also a good option.  I've never knocked around my pistol TLR-1s, but I'd trust the Surefires durability more.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Surefire G2X tactical, Odin Works mount, and Malkoff or Lumens Factory guarded tail cap comes in at a little less than $150.  600 lumens and plenty enough for a HD gun.

TLR-1 rifle kit is also a good option.  I've never knocked around my pistol TLR-1s, but I'd trust the Surefires durability more.
View Quote

I got the G2XD on mine. With the Arisaka mount I have less than $110 in it. I wanted the low setting for low light navigation purposes though. Their biggest fault to me is the lack of switch options that align with their cost.

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I got the G2XD on mine. With the Arisaka mount I have less than $110 in it. I wanted the low setting for low light navigation purposes though. Their biggest fault to me is the lack of switch options that align with their cost.

https://i.ibb.co/6NJLGqW/94469109-706-D-48-ED-B7-D6-32-AFF3129-CBD.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, they got the one button/remote tailcap that's $130 for the tailcap alone.  Surefire's been done with the 1" body weapon lights for a while now.  The tail cap is the only thing I don't like about it out of the package.  I've got several that I have replaced to prevent light NDs when bumping them.  I still like them for the value, and I also got a bunch of 16650 batteries that get shared between them, I only use CR123's as a backup in them nowadays.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top