Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2018 12:30:07 AM EDT
It seems that a lot of these soft point bullets just don't offer the accuracy that you would want at 100+ yards. I understand that virtually any .224 bullet would be good enough for home defense but I took a carbine course this weekend and ran drills and scenarios that got me thinking. Any round that can't produce 3 MOA in a high quality barrel is not for me.

Are there any other designated defensive rounds in 5.56 that I should be trying? Bonded seems to be preferred but not a complete necessity. I've done some ballistic gel test on pistol rounds so plan on giving it another go once I decide on a few 5.56 loads to try.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
What twist barrel do you have? All my 5.56 ARs have 1-7" barrels. I've found different 77g loadings on line. But mine shoot very well with my handloads.
If you wanted loaded ammo, go with Black Hills, or Fusion MSR load.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want bonded, Fusion MSR is an accurate and hot round.  If you want to minimize barrier penetration and get bonkers terminal performance well below 2000fps, Black Hills 5.56 77gr TMK is a no-brainer as long as your barrel agrees with it. It can be super accurate or very inaccurate.

Both will perform terminally at surprisingly low velocities.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I forgot about that BH 77 TMK. I shoot BH 77 SMK exclusively in my precision AR and it’s been incredibly accurate. It is my HD round as of now. Was looking for something better though for soft targets. May add the TMK to my list. After doing a little research ive got these to seek out...

Winchester 64gr RA556B
Black Hills TSX 50gr D556N1
Federal MK318 62gr T556TNB1
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I forgot about that BH 77 TMK. I shoot BH 77 SMK exclusively in my precision AR and it’s been incredibly accurate. It is my HD round as of now. Was looking for something better though for soft targets. May add the TMK to my list. After doing a little research ive got these to seek out...

Winchester 64gr RA556B
Black Hills TSX 50gr D556N1
Federal MK318 62gr T556TNB1
View Quote
The TMK has great results in ballistics gel. Consistently short neck length (unlike SMK which can have short or long neck length), devastating wound channel.

Folks who've used it on deer and hogs say it shreds a lot of meat. 77gr TMK is my pick for soft target HD.

The first 20 rounds in the HD mag is 77gr TMK, the remainder are RA556B for barrier blind.

The RA556B is about 1.5 MOA in my sub-MOA (with FGMM) capable AR (1:8" Wylde).

If you can find RA556B, get it. It's GTG. Better performance through auto glass than the Black Hills 50gr TSX, and they're similarly priced (when you can find RA556B).
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I dumped my Mk318 because of accuracy issues. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#6]
It seems pretty tough to get your hands on RA556B if you are a mere civilian. Guess I’ll move forward with the 77 TMK
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
What HD loadings have you shot out of you rifle that were getting you greater than 3 MOA groupings? Both 62 grain Federal Fusion and 64 grn Gold Dots have been very accurate, both bonded soft poi ts.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I dumped my Mk318 because of accuracy issues. YMMV.
View Quote
i had a couple barrels that didnt care for 318 and others that would get 2MOA so i dumped those barrels and found replacements that would shoot and kept the ammo. its a great jack of all trades/SHTF round, IMO.

Fusion MSR or the 62gr gold dots would be a good choice too though.

i tried the PPU 55gr soft points in a couple rifles and it was a very accurate round for a non-match bullet, i think one grouping was 1.5" at 100. just not sure of its ability. i believe blue falcon did a gel test on some rounds i sent him...i'll go look.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What HD loadings have you shot out of you rifle that were getting you greater than 3 MOA groupings? Both 62 grain Federal Fusion and 64 grn Gold Dots have been very accurate, both bonded soft poi ts.
View Quote
Well first off I shoot 5 rd groups. Barrels are from Shilen, Larue, BCM, and DD. I’ve never tried HD 556 loads. Only 77 SMK and M193and M855. Even the M193 is 1 MOA at 100. I’ve just heard a lot of folks complain of accuracy with softer bullets. im willing to try for myself obviously just trying to get a decent round to start with since HD rounds are costly compared to SHTF ammo.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I like M855A1.

I haven't shot this batch for groups yet though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#12]
TMKs are my favorite ‘killing shit’ round. 77’s if your rifle can handle them, 69’s if it can’t. I’ve killed lots of deer with it by now, the results were impressive to say the least. It normally shoots about .1 or .2 MOA looser than equivalent SMKs for me, which means it shoots awesome for a ‘killing shit’ round.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
TMKs are my favorite ‘killing shit’ round. 77’s if your rifle can handle them, 69’s if it can’t. I’ve killed lots of deer with it by now, the results were impressive to say the least. It normally shoots about .1 or .2 MOA looser than equivalent SMKs for me, which means it shoots awesome for a ‘killing shit’ round.
View Quote
Yep that’s what I’ve heard. Almost as accurate as the SMK which is still damn impressive. Found some at Cabelas so I’ll try it out soon on some gel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#14]
For me, the BH 50 TSX is less accurate than the Fed MK318. That 50gr TSX also hit at a different POI than all other ammo.

The MK318 has averaged around 2.5MOA for me with a few groups under 2MOA and the very rare 4MOA group. It's basically very similar to M193 in accuracy and same POA/POI. Having the same POI as my practice M193 ammo is important to me.

I would get MK318, Fusion MSR, and whatever 77gr your rifles like the best.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well first off I shoot 5 rd groups. Barrels are from Shilen, Larue, BCM, and DD. I’ve never tried HD 556 loads. Only 77 SMK and M193and M855. Even the M193 is 1 MOA at 100. I’ve just heard a lot of folks complain of accuracy with softer bullets. im willing to try for myself obviously just trying to get a decent round to start with since HD rounds are costly compared to SHTF ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd be very, very surprised if you would get any kind of grouping spread with the two loads I suggested that would be different than what you're getting with M193.  Both the Federal Fusion 62 grn and Gold dot 64 grn have been very accurate and consistent for me, as well as others who have tried them. To be honest, I haven't heard any accuracy complaints about either.

It's possible that the people you've been talking to were referring to older soft points like the Winchester 64 grn PowerPoint rounds that had a pretty large amount of exposed lead, which would deform when hitting the feed ramps on an AR.  The Fusion and Gold Dot are technically soft points, but there is very little exposed lead, and it doesn't extend past the jacket, so no deformation.  Try a box of each, I think you'll be satisfied with the performance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]
another eratic round is the hornady 55gr GMX. i only have 2 barrels out of 10 that shoot this bullet well and consistant to near the same POA as most other bullets.

on top of that, its the worst grouping in most barrels too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No loading of M193 will consistently shoot 1 MOA 5 shot groups, even from match barrels.

I agree with post above that 64 grain Gold Dots will shoot at or close to 1 MOA if the barrel is capable.

Barnes TSX 62 and 70 grain bullets are also 1 MOA or close (at least in my handloads) in a barrel that is capable.  The 70 grain Barnes is quite long and requires 1:8 twist or faster.

In my case, this means my match Lilja 1:8 twist, Wylde chamber barrel that shoots sub 1/2 MOA with Berger/Lapua handloads.

The Gold Dots and TSX shoot in the 1.5 MOA range from my "rack grade" barrels.

Factory 64 Gold Dots and 62 Grain TSX handloads are my HD load outs and shoot very close to the same POI.  My HD carbine has a more simple, practical 16" nitride barrel from CMMG.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Ill echo some of the above with the gold dots. I still think I prefer TMKs overall, but if one wanted a precision round that’s much more barrier blind, or oriented around penetration than fragmentation, it should definitely be being discussed. Gold dot 75’s have done about 1-1.5 MOA for me, as have their cousin the Fusion in the .308 loadings ive shot. If PSA does another 75gr sale I’m definitely picking up more, and should have gotten more than I did last time. For 50 cents per round, it’s a steal for some premium ammo. I do wish it were loaded hotter, but at the ranges I kill things it’s been a nonissue.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd be very, very surprised if you would get any kind of grouping spread with the two loads I suggested that would be different than what you're getting with M193.  Both the Federal Fusion 62 grn and Gold dot 64 grn have been very accurate and consistent for me, as well as others who have tried them. To be honest, I haven't heard any accuracy complaints about either.

It's possible that the people you've been talking to were referring to older soft points like the Winchester 64 grn PowerPoint rounds that had a pretty large amount of exposed lead, which would deform when hitting the feed ramps on an AR.  The Fusion and Gold Dot are technically soft points, but there is very little exposed lead, and it doesn't extend past the jacket, so no deformation.  Try a box of each, I think you'll be satisfied with the performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gold Dot SP 64 gr (now DQ... have not tried the 62 gr replacement) and Gold dot SP 55 gr.... and very little exposed lead.

55 gr: Last outing was 1st x 3 rounds into .45" tight cloverleaf then I wandered to 1.10" next  rounds not having a stable rear bag or good concentration.  For me, these shoot accurately, consistently in all my uppers.

Have shot 1.0 - 1.20" consistently at different outside 100 yd  ranges with 20"  wylde, Stainless 1:7 and these 55 + 64 g GDSPs.

Tried the Winchester LE 64 gr PowerPoints and those shoot 2.5" at 100 yd for me in same 20" wylde 1:7.... and scattered 2.0" out of my Shilen SS 20" 1:8.
That round is not representative of soft point potential. Only keep those in home 10.5" upper.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#20]
You titled your post HD load with accuracy in mind. In my home, the longest line of sight shot would be something like 50-60 feet. 64 gr Gold Dots are plenty accurate for that. Not sure I understand what you are really looking for.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You titled your post HD load with accuracy in mind. In my home, the longest line of sight shot would be something like 50-60 feet. 64 gr Gold Dots are plenty accurate for that. Not sure I understand what you are really looking for.
View Quote
I used to have that mindset as well. I’ve been taking some training courses lately and we talk and run scenarios that most would never think of. There is no protocol or standard scenario that you could be faced with. Uncertain times call for uncertain measures....er, distances.

I would rather have something I know I could feel confident in if I had to take a 100 or 200 yard shot. You never know what you could be faced with. A long hallway are your kids school. An isle at Walmart.

Another reason is I live in a neighborhood with large lots. I have a lake directly behind my house and the coyotes have been killing our ducks at night. My neighbor lost his dog to a coyote 2 months ago. If they continue to be a threat we plan on taking action. Rural living problems ;)

Once you introduce stress to a shooting environment, accuracy that you have on a IPSC flat target quickly changes. I would prefer to have the most accurate but still deadly round I can find.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I understand what you mean about the coyotes and such. Makes sense. Where I live, I can't carry my AR at Walmart. I've often wondered about what a CCW should do if there was an active shooter at Walmart. After watching this video, I would want to protect myself but I would not go looking for an active shooter.

https://youtu.be/CQOHBSuY7TM
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I use the 77 gr TMK's over 23.2 gr IMR 8208xbr for an HD round that is also accurate.

With my 10.3" Mk18 barrel and just a red dot I'm getting 2" 10 shot groups at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use the 77 gr TMK's over 23.2 gr IMR 8208xbr for an HD round that is also accurate.

With my 10.3" Mk18 barrel and just a red dot I'm getting 2" 10 shot groups at 100 yards.
View Quote
What velocity are you getting with those?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top