Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2021 7:15:11 PM EDT
New AR, 14.5 PSA premium.

There is some lag when the bolt goes forward (when loading a mag) a couple of times it has not fully stripped the round out of the mag.  It might have had a FTL one time due to this while actually firing.  I put a H2 buffer in it, but haven't had it to the range yet.  

On a whim I added an H3 buffer to a recent BCM order and I was wondering if there was any disadvantages to going straight to the H3?  I would normally have taken the rifle with H2 to the range before I though about changing it, but time and ammo availability.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I would personally be looking at a stronger buffer spring instead of a heavier buffer weight.

I have found that the Sprinco Red or Blue do wonders when adding some force to the feeding of rounds from magazines. An H3 would have little if no effect on that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said. There may be other issues causing it, but an H3 is not the answer. Have you tried multiple mags?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What he said. There may be other issues causing it, but an H3 is not the answer. Have you tried multiple mags?
View Quote

yes multiple mags. It is a particularly old buffer spring, so I'll try that.

thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
You may have just found your issue. I'd definitely start there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
New AR, 14.5 PSA premium.

There is some lag when the bolt goes forward (when loading a mag) a couple of times it has not fully stripped the round out of the mag.  It might have had a FTL one time due to this while actually firing.  I put a H2 buffer in it, but haven't had it to the range yet.  

On a whim I added an H3 buffer to a recent BCM order and I was wondering if there was any disadvantages to going straight to the H3?  I would normally have taken the rifle with H2 to the range before I though about changing it, but time and ammo availability.
View Quote

Before I turned all firearms and spare parts over to the Taliban, I ran H3s in all carbines and shorter stuff. I have one hybrid that I believe is a bit heavier and a couple I assembled that are perhaps 3.5s or so. As long as it cycles, heavier the better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Before I turned all firearms and spare parts over to the Taliban, I ran H3s in all carbines and shorter stuff. I have one hybrid that I believe is a bit heavier and a couple I assembled that are perhaps 3.5s or so. As long as it cycles, heavier the better.
View Quote

What I have read is that the appropriate buffer is the heaviest one the gun will cycle properly with. I use 6.5 oz buffers in mine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What I have read is that the appropriate buffer is the heaviest one the gun will cycle properly with. I use 6.5 oz buffers in mine.
View Quote

Heaviest buffer that will cycle all ammo in all conditions (weather/environment) and reliably lock back is my standard procedure.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Sprinco Blue + H2
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Heaviest buffer that will cycle all ammo in all conditions (weather/environment) and reliably lock back is my standard procedure.  

View Quote

Tula with a dirty gun at 20 degrees. Reliability is everything. I want my guns to function. Any ammo any situation. Running the edge may work for some, but I want my gun to go bang everytime I tell it to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 1:48:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I ran it with the H2 and a new spring this weekend. no malfunctions while shooting, once it failed to fully strip  the round when loading.

gonna order an improved buffer spring.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 2:05:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I think it could be something different and you are looking to add force to overcome this other issue.

How do the feed ramps on the barrel extension and the receiver line up?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:05:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think it could be something different and you are looking to add force to overcome this other issue.

How do the feed ramps on the barrel extension and the receiver line up?
View Quote

Great point and observation.

If malfunctions continue with a new buffer spring, the spring is not the issue
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Tula with a dirty gun at 20 degrees. Reliability is everything. I want my guns to function. Any ammo any situation. Running the edge may work for some, but I want my gun to go bang everytime I tell it to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t forget about support.  Heavy jackets, and unconventional positions that have you shooting without a good stock placement on the shoulder have a pretty good effect on cycling.  

I recently ditched the A5 and went back to the stock spring and buffer on my 6920 because I could induce malfunctions with the A5 that just don’t happen with the original parts.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve changed weights in all my buffers for 5.56 & variant calibers, I prefer to run heavier buffers but for 5.56 I’ve never found a weight that’s impacted function, just how it feels and slightly altering the cycling rate.
Now going to a stronger buffer spring, that made a much bigger difference. My BCM middy is a soft shooter and doesn’t care what weight buffer it has but a Wolff xtra power spring will choke on weak loads.

OP, if it’s occasionally not chambering and a light tap on the FA seats, something’s wrong. Possibly bad mags. I’ve had this issue with a 7.62x39 build that was bad mags, a heavier buffer & stronger spring helped but it never went away til I found better mags.

Post a pic of your feed ramps, if it’s not an M4 cut on the barrel with matching cuts on the receiver, could be an issue. There’s an old thread in here somewhere that shows all the combinations.

A std. buffer & spring should work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#17]
It only did it once at the last match, when dropping the bolt on a full mag. Scooted forward about 1/2 way. Pulled the bolt back it ejected the round then dropped fine.

today I tried to duplicate that, loaded a bunch of mags with three rounds shot, used the bolt release to chamber and didn't have an issue.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Needs Lube
View Quote
Not the problem
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I get flamed, but load your mags to 28 for awhile and see what happens.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not the problem
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Needs Lube
Not the problem

Still needs lube
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I dunno but it almost looks as if the mouth of the chamber is missing the final small radius on the edge of the chamber, maybe something to look closer at and while your at it see if your mag release button is properly set.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I know this will sound random, but check the bottom side of your carrier in the rear, there’s a groove cut for the buffer detent. I have had this once, 20 some years ago where the tit on the detent was too tall and actually dragging on the carrier.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I have had this issue before too OP.  I use H2 buffers and load all of my magazines to 28 rounds.  I have found that loading 30 rounds in USGI magazines when the magazines are new and not broken in can have chambering issues feeding the first round.  I have personally experienced this with D&H magazines more so on rare occasion Okay/Surefeeds (both of these magazine brands are excellent kit and I'm not knocking them).  

This has been experienced and seen by me in Colt and BCM rifles so it's not a rifle issue, it's just the way it is I suppose.  I personally don't tune any of my sticks by messing with buffer weights or recoil springs because I need them to run on everything from NATO spec rounds to steel cased ammunition.  I run Mil spec recoil springs and H2 buffers.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I run the tubbs flat wire buffer spring in all my AR's (16 and 20 inch, as well as my AR10).
I also run the H3 buffer in my carbine. In the rifles, I just removed all the steel weights from the original buffers and replaced them with tungsten weights.
I also have adjustable gas blocks on all but one (which has the factory FSB).
The springs and heavy buffers made a big difference. They shoot so much smoother now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Those flat springs create inconsistent carrier velocity due to the way they drag in the tube and flex/whip when they cycle.

Snakeoil bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Those flat springs create inconsistent carrier velocity due to the way they drag in the tube and flex/whip when they cycle.

Snakeoil bullshit.
View Quote

Proof?
Not calling you a liar, just want to see the tests done proving this.
They made a noticeable improvement in my rifles after swapping to them. I started with it on one AR, like it, and then swapped all my AR's to them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Never had any issues with flat wire springs...
Did install a V-seven tube once, that I didn't examine closely (blinded by external beauty), that the buffer would stick halfway down.
Turned out to be a poorly machined piece. Spent several hours with a brake home to smooth it up
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I ordered a Geissle double coils spring. We'll see what that does.

Also, for those that mentioned loading to 28. I usually do that anyway. Though I don't know if I had when I had the issue.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Proof?
They made a noticeable improvement in my rifles after swapping to them. I started with it on one AR, like it, and then swapped all my AR's to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snakeoil bullshit.

Proof?

Pretty good amount of research done by an SME on TOS on them with an accelerometer and high speed camera.  I did a lot of the shooting with them in otherwise stock Colt carbines. They didn’t do anything but make the charging handle harder to pull and made ejection a little erratic.

They were literally worse in every way compared to a conventional round spring.

I’m doing some testing now to document that the A5 system as-built is less reliable than the standard mil-spec carbine arrangement.  There is going to be epic butthurt and denial but it’s not even disputable at this point.  

The beauty of the AR is that it’s so reliable, you can make it less reliable but you can’t tell.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The appropriate buffer is the LIGHTEST buffer, not the heaviest that will cycle 100%. Reciprocating mass is your enemy. You want the LOWEST reciprocating mass that affords 100% function. Everything else is just more recoil and muzzle movement.

Heavier buffers are to control full auto cyclic rate or a bandaid for an over gassed rifle to slow it down when reducing gas is not an option.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pretty good amount of research done by an SME on TOS on them with an accelerometer and high speed camera.  I did a lot of the shooting with them in otherwise stock Colt carbines. They didn’t do anything but make the charging handle harder to pull and made ejection a little erratic.

They were literally worse in every way compared to a conventional round spring.

I’m doing some testing now to document that the A5 system as-built is less reliable than the standard mil-spec carbine arrangement.  There is going to be epic butthurt and denial but it’s not even disputable at this point.  

The beauty of the AR is that it’s so reliable, you can make it less reliable but you can’t tell.
View Quote

Perhaps one brand of flat spring had kink or bind issues but it is not inherent to the design. A flat spring will have more force in the closed position for the same force in the compressed position all else being equal OR if it has the same force when the bolt is forward, less force when the charging handle is pulled. It is just a more linear spring.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#33]
A spring engineer was consulted and said that an AR was not a good application for a flat spring.

Tubb 5.56 and 308 springs were tested.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The appropriate buffer is the LIGHTEST buffer, not the heaviest that will cycle 100%. Reciprocating mass is your enemy. You want the LOWEST reciprocating mass that affords 100% function. Everything else is just more recoil and muzzle movement.

Heavier buffers are to control full auto cyclic rate or a bandaid for an over gassed rifle to slow it down when reducing gas is not an option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll stick with heavier personally.

Less battering of internals/increased lock time/aid feeding during the loading cycle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#35]
My AR10s both run better with lighter buffers, and adjustable gas blocks than they ever did with heavier buffers (even with Slash's all stainless heavy buffers).
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Measure your action spring (the "buffer" spring). How long is it? A carbine spring should be 10 1/16 to 11 1/4 inches. If it's shorter, it's worn and needs to be replaced.

Is your rifle lubed?
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top