Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2020 6:19:20 PM EDT
So my wife and I decided to grab the kids and make the 3 hour drive to Chantilly Virginia today for the gun show and I’m glad we did! I found a 1966 era xm16e1 upper receiver assembly for $1000 it’s got a replacement barrel on it (CMP Chrome Bore) and I’m not 100% sure about the front sight post I think it’s a later A1 sight post but either way I’m completely thrilled!  It’s gonna go on my braceman xm reweld when I get it back from him.  I’m gonna try and upload a link to the imgur album they’re in not sure if it’ll work or not

Here’s a link to the photos of this doesn’t work I’ll try and post pics tonight when I get home

https://imgur.com/a/sUG3Kwc
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks really nice, congrats!

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice score bit jellous here
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So my wife and I decided to grab the kids and make the 3 hour drive to Chantilly Virginia today for the gun show and I’m glad we did! I found an xm16e1 upper receiver assembly it’s got a replacement barrel on it (CMP Chrome Bore) and I’m not 100% sure about the front sight post but either way I’m completely thrilled!  It’s gonna go on my braceman reweld when I get it back from him.  I’m gonna try and upload a link to the imgur album they’re in not sure if it’ll work or not

Here’s a link to the photos of this doesn’t work I’ll try and post pics tonight when I get home

View Quote
Curious as to why you think the barrel in replaced...check the twist IIRC 1/12 makes it the real deal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Curious as to why you think the barrel in replaced...check the twist IIRC 1/12 makes it the real deal.
View Quote
It’s definitely a 1/12 Colt barrel but from my research the “CMP Chrome Bore” marked barrels came later and were used as replacements for the XM barrels, (I would imagine Vietnam wore them out) for it to be an original to this upper it would be marked “MP 12” if I’m not mistaken but nowadays if you can find them they’re pretty pricey from what I’ve heard (I haven’t found one yet though)
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice score!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Good job on your find. What are the markings on the bolt? Hard to tell from the pics. How can you tell it is an XM receiver and not an early A1? Didn’t they have a lot of the same characteristics? I have one very similar, but it came tied to a CMPC barrel, so I took it to be an A1.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good job on your find. What are the markings on the bolt? Hard to tell from the pics. How can you tell it is an XM receiver and not an early A1? Didn’t they have a lot of the same characteristics? I have one very similar, but it came tied to a CMPC barrel, so I took it to be an A1.
View Quote
Honestly it could be an early A1 or a late XM (I’m building a late XM so that’s what I’m going with LOL) during the transition they used intermingled parts, (including the same uppers) but my main tells were the no forge code, Colt proof marks in front of the ejection port, the XM grey anodizing, the xm grey charging handle and slip ring, but the biggest one was the black counter bored front lug.  The bolt is marked MPE and the carrier is marked C.  The barrel after doing a little more research is 1974 or later so it’s definitely A replacement due to this receiver being 1960’s vintage.  The hand guards also don’t have any drain holes and are not marked left and right
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you get any history on the upper? I had an xm16e1 upper like that with that numbering stamped onto the same area. Never knew where it came from.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice upper OP!!  Did you pull the handguards to see what kind they are?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did you get any history on the upper? I had an xm16e1 upper like that with that numbering stamped onto the same area. Never knew where it came from.
View Quote
I didn’t unfortunately, I was wondering about that stamping myself, my best guess is it’s a rack number
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice upper OP!!  Did you pull the handguards to see what kind they are?
View Quote
Thanks! Yeah they don’t have the drain holes and are NOT marked left and right.  I also like how when you get them in the sun they have a black and brown marbled look to them
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I have seen a few with those same “rack” numbers. Mine has them, but in a different location.

OP, is the bolt MPE or MPF with a line under the F.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have seen a few with those same “rack” numbers. Mine has them, but in a different location.

https://i.imgur.com/SBwyFFi.jpg

OP, is the bolt MPE or MPF with a line under the F.
View Quote
MPE.  I took better pictures of it and added them to the album
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice find.

Looks like an early round forge M16A1 upper, not an XM16E1 upper though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#17]
From my research the late Xm16e1s used round forged as well the transitional period they used the same uppers on both models
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#18]
A good reference that should have been tacked.

603 upper guide
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A good reference that should have been tacked.

603 upper guide
View Quote
Good guide, except that we now know the 603 production models never had cast front sights.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top