BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2020 4:38:28 PM EDT
Ok, so I had a stripped lower with 'US GOVT PROPERTY' on the roll-mark, and I wanted to change over the lower parts kit from one lower to another.  The local gun shop who was doing the transfer on my new property marked lower offered to take my existing lower and new lower in the back, and swap over everything for me, for 20 bucks.  I'm pretty busy, and time is $, so I agreed.

They put the trigger guard on BACKWARDS. How the hell do I get that roll pin out to fix this?  Can't drive it through. I don't want to take it back and tell them to fix it, they clearly bubba'd it up the first time.

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Going to need to remove a work from your title.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Take it back to them to fix.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Try to find a sheet metal screw that will thread snugly into the center of the roll pin. Thread it in as far as it will go and then grab the head of the screw with a pair of vise grips. See if you can pull it out that way. If not- while you are pulling, have someone tap up on the vice grips with a hammer. I bet it will come out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
And let them fuck it up worse?  I would just drill it out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah getting the roll punch out will be tricky. Probably need to drill a new hole... Or just leave it alone. Do you ever swing down the trigger guard?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try to find a sheet metal screw that will thread snugly into the center of the roll pin. Thread it in as far as it will go and then grab the head of the screw with a pair of vise grips. See if you can pull it out that way. If not- while you are pulling, have someone tap up on the vice grips with a hammer. I bet it will come out.
View Quote
This... go easy, and back it out
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Going to need to remove a work from your title.
View Quote
Sorry- Didn't realize it was against the rules.  Don't post all that often.  How do you edit the title?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
take it back, get your money back.
remove all the parts and DIY to make sure its done right.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Any idea what size screw? It's not like I can walk into the hardware store with my lower and try threading a few (not in the town I live in, anyways).
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Never do that.  Fix it yourself. Learn and move on.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd at least want my 20 bucks back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The pin is a split pin running a screw into it will try to EXPAND the pin. If you expand the pin to much you might pop a crack or break a portion of the ear off of the lower. At the least expanding it will cause it to grip the hole even tighter.
If I had one like that I would break out the Dremel and carefully sacrifice the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This works. Use some high viscosity oil to help, let it soak a few (15-20) minutes before pulling. You can also superglue a nail in the roll pin too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#14]
If you were to carefully drill the pin to be flush with the trigger guard on that side, would you then be able to ‘roll’ the trigger guard out downwards?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Dremel off the trigger guard carefully. It is aluminum so will cut easily.
Roll pin should then come out easy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ll try the screw thing.  I’ll let you guys know the results in a few days when I get time.  It’s a 50 dollar palmetto lower, so not THAT worked up about it if it gets damaged, but I’d certainly prefer not to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Just leave it, damage is done and you will likely ruin something trying to get it put. Putting a screw in will expand it and make things worse. The pin is steel, the lower is not.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Idiots should atleast give you your money back.
You know they had to cut the pin shorter before installing it, that should have been their first clue it was backwards.
Leave it as is or use a dremel with a small cutoff wheel.
Cut across the trigger guard close to the end with the pin, then cut through the guard and pin about half way and the loose part will fall out, Then grab the remainder and pull the pin through the hole. Be careful not to break the ear.
As said above screwing a screw in isnt gonna work, its just gonna expand the pin tighter.
Maybe superglue a small nail in and try to pull it.

If it were mine I would clamp it in my milling machine and machine or drill the roll pin.
If you know a machinist they could do this for you in about 10 minutes.
Also why does it look like the trigger guard was milled down as in I see a shiny surface on the right side that was obviously milled and looks like it has sharp burrs on it.
good luck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The pin is a split pin running a screw into it will try to EXPAND the pin. If you expand the pin to much you might pop a crack or break a portion of the ear off of the lower. At the least expanding it will cause it to grip the hole even tighter.
If I had one like that I would break out the Dremel and carefully sacrifice the trigger guard.
View Quote
I agree with this, after seeing the pics.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't want to try the screw thing after several warnings, so i tried to superglue a nail in and pull it.  Super glued it, waited 20 minutes or so.  Didn't hold- nail pulled out without the pin.  Now there's superglue gunk in there.  I don't have a dremel (I know- everyone should have a dremel yada yada).  Hell, maybe I'll just leave it, but it's always going to bug me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmm, I just learned something. I didn't even know that was possible since I never tried it. Just tell everyone who sees it that it was done on purpose. If someone was going to flip down the trigger guard to use thick gloves it may actually work better that way since it folds away from the grip now?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Idiots should atleast give you your money back.
You know they had to cut the pin shorter before installing it, that should have been their first clue it was backwards.
Leave it as is or use a dremel with a small cutoff wheel.
Cut across the trigger guard close to the end with the pin, then cut through the guard and pin about half way and the loose part will fall out, Then grab the remainder and pull the pin through the hole. Be careful not to break the ear.
As said above screwing a screw in isnt gonna work, its just gonna expand the pin tighter.
Maybe superglue a small nail in and try to pull it.

If it were mine I would clamp it in my milling machine and machine or drill the roll pin.
If you know a machinist they could do this for you in about 10 minutes.
Also why does it look like the trigger guard was milled down as in I see a shiny surface on the right side that was obviously milled and looks like it has sharp burrs on it.
good luck.
View Quote
I agree.  You'll play hell trying to drill out a hardened roll pin.  Screws and glue aren't going to work either.  Sacrifice the trigger guard and be damned careful pulling or driving the pins out of the ears.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I would just leave it alone and shoot it.

That said, I would try and get my money back and explain to them why you want your money back.

I don't understand why you took it to a gun smith, it only takes about 5-10 minutes to put a LPK in a lower, maybe a bit more if you are taking one out and putting in another lower.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Well guys, I have officially fucked it all up- broke off a 3/32" drill bit in the roll pin.  So basically everything is great, and I've never been happier with myself/my luck.

Any ideas now?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#27]
It's honestly kind of funny at this point- although it's only funny because it's a cheap-ass palmetto lower.  If it was an expensive disaster i'd be very upset, but I can get a new lower for 40 bucks and swap everything over (and do it myself this time).

Still, pretty irritated at the store for screwing it up, and irritated at myself for screwing it up even more.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's how to fix it without more damageAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#31]
With the roll pin and the spring loaded pin being on opposite sides of the lower that guard is held on diagonal corners.  I bet if you cut the guard in half right under the trigger you could rotate the two halves out of the lower.

ETA. what @Olekennyroy posted
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well guys, I have officially fucked it all up- broke off a 3/32" drill bit in the roll pin.  So basically everything is great, and I've never been happier with myself/my luck.

Any ideas now?https://i.imgur.com/s9QiFLk.jpg
View Quote
You could cut the guard out of the way so you have space to cut into the pin area from its side. Once you have cut out the center of the pin you will have enough room to carefully push it out. I don't think you will have luck pulling it out from the end as it is now.
Or= File it off flat and touch it up with some black paint marker and call it done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#33]
sawzall and cut that bitch off!

edit: beat like a used dankey
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I’d eyeball carefully, and center-punch & drill a hole in the other side.   IIRC some lowers are made that way.

Punch the pin out, turn tg around & call it good.

I would print a couple 36” posters with the first image and make a sign to give the gunshop - you know, as advertising for their “Gunsmithing Services”...

ETA - If you’re willing to get/borrow a Dremel, the above is best option @ this point.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d make those fuckers make it right!
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Dremel cutoff wheel, cut the middle out of the back of the trigger guard from the inside of the guard.  Tap the one side of the pin through the open side into the cutout area.  Won’t be too bad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Dremel cutoff wheel, cut the middle out of the back of the trigger guard from the inside of the guard.  Tap the one side of the pin through the open side into the cutout area.  Won’t be too bad.
View Quote

How is he going to do that when he could not even figure out how to assemble a lower receiver?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How is he going to do that when he could not even figure out how to assemble a lower receiver?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The local gun shop who was doing the transfer on my new property marked lower offered to take my existing lower and new lower in the back, and swap over everything for me, for 20 bucks. I'm pretty busy, and time is $, so I agreed.

They put the trigger guard on BACKWARDS. How the hell do I get that roll pin out to fix this? Can't drive it through. I don't want to take it back and tell them to fix it, they clearly bubba'd it up the first time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This... go easy, and back it out
View Quote
+2  The screw method is the way I'd do it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#41]
You say US property marked.

Is it a Colt M4A1 lower or a palmetto state?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#42]
just cut the fucking thing off lol.  Not the first time this has happened, grab your Dremel and take your time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Waiting on op to deliver the final fix
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nope.......drill it out or tap it to a fit a fine thread bolt.   Put a nut on the bolt first.   Run the bolt in to the tapped roll pin.  Turn the nut to extract the bolt and spring roll pin.

Now that I read a long.   Yea the dremel two cut chop is the safest.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Not even a big deal I did this when building a rifle....even had a thread about it for a good laugh

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/stupid-mistakes-you-have-made-when-building-a-rifle/5-2069768/

and of course, a couple cuts and it came right out
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not even a big deal I did this when building a rifle....even had a thread about it for a good laugh

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/stupid-mistakes-you-have-made-when-building-a-rifle/5-2069768/

and of course, a couple cuts and it came right out
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/371838/rps20180110_231531_094-416984_jpg-1250007.JPG
View Quote
Yep that’s that I was thinking to do
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The local gun shop who was doing the transfer on my new property marked lower offered to take my existing lower and new lower in the back, and swap over everything for me, for 20 bucks. I'm pretty busy, and time is $, so I agreed.

They put the trigger guard on BACKWARDS. How the hell do I get that roll pin out to fix this? Can't drive it through. I don't want to take it back and tell them to fix it, they clearly bubba'd it up the first time.
I can properly install an LPK in under 10 min.  So can he.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#48]
It’ll be fine.  Just leave it alone. Count your blessings you didn’t put this in GD.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You say US property marked.

Is it a Colt M4A1 lower or a palmetto state?
View Quote
It’s one of these. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-m4a1-stripped-lower-receiver.html

I will cut it out with a dremel later. Thanks for your help guys.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I can properly install an LPK in under 10 min.  So can he.
View Quote
Good for you. Relax man, you can get off your high horse.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top