Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2022 11:57:45 PM EDT
Hi everyone
Can someone recommend a good gun safe ?
I currently have 11 AR 15s and 1 AR 10. I need to find a safe place to keep these guns.
Thank you.

The alternative is to just put a lock on my closet door and that would be a great option too.

Thank you for your advice.

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:53:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#1]
You have to give us more than that - like a budget, size and space constraints, fire proof requirements etc.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 2:07:40 AM EDT
[#2]
1st floor? 2nd floor? Basement? - Max weight you expect the floor (stairs) can bear?

Will it need to go up or down any stairs?
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 2:27:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 3:03:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The biggest thing you can afford.  If this is an apartment scenario, you're very limited.

Put it against a load-bearing wall if you can.

My next safe will be a SnapSafe, https://www.snapsafe.com/
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:08:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of the big companies offer “budget” models that are made in China and are very similar across the board in construction and materials.

These are typically better than nothing but easily defeated.

For a significant jump in money you can get to the US made ones that offer more security.

I always looked at a safe as part of the overall plan.

I live in a nice area, safe is not visible from any window or guest visit, I don’t discuss having safes or guns outside close friends, I have retired neighbors that are nosy and help watch my property as I help them, I have a quality home alarm with cellular backup, I have cameras that record to a secure dvr that my family can access from their phones, I have a good dog, I have strong locks and doors/ windows, I have 360 security lighting, I have a good police response time in my area and I know a lot of the cops (26+ in LE for a large department) I have a quality heavy duty safe that is secured to the floor in a tight area that makes it more difficult to attack... and ultimately I have a separate writer on my home insurance to cover what I have.

Having a layered system to support your safe is very important in my experience.

Another thing is that I have little sentimental attachment to firearms and though I obviously don’t want to lose my stuff  they are ultimately tools that aren’t worth spending your life worrying over. I don’t own any safe queens or collectible stuff. A few custom built 1911s that can’t be replaced because the smiths have passed but that’s about it. Glocks and ARs make up the bulk of it. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By txgp17:
The biggest thing you can afford.  If this is an apartment scenario, you're very limited.

Put it against a load-bearing wall if you can.

My next safe will be a SnapSafe, https://www.snapsafe.com/
View Quote
These are sweet and thicker steel than many big box store RSC units.

Watch the video on putting one together.  They look well made.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to thank everyone one of you on your resonates. They have been extremely helpful.  

A little more about my situation.
I live in a house that has two floors with an attached garage.

I have heard of tracker safe for 2-3k dollars. I see some ads on Craigslist. If anyone has heard of these safes and has experience with them please let me know.
I would like to keep the safe in my garage just due to space.

Thanks again for everyone’s input.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:53:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556LMT] [#9]

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
AMSEC
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Honestly, buy the biggest safe you can afford at the moment and will fit in you house without falling through the floor.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:
Honestly, buy the biggest safe you can afford at the moment and will fit in you house without falling through the floor.
View Quote

This above because even a $400 safe is better than a closet or under the bed.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
A true "safe" is going to be several thousand dollars, and weigh a couple thousand pounds, if you expect it to protect your firearms from theft, that is.  Those things you see in the sporting goods stores for $999 are not really safes.  They're more of a "keep the kids out of it" storage container.  Some are fire and even water rated, which is good, but the steel is so thin on them, they are easily defeated by thieves.

With that said, if all your budget and living conditions allow for is a storage container, then they are better than simply putting a lock on your closet.  If this is the route you go, then get the largest capacity you can afford that'll work in your home.  If you already have that many AR's, you're more than likely to get more :-)
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#14]
if you cant mount your safe in a basement, do so.

Bolt it down!

Not just because an extremely heavy safe can be moved with a furniture dolly far more easier than one would think, but also, tipping the safe over makes pry attacks more effective with better leverage.

If at all possible, hide the safe.  Make a false wall/room etc.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top