Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2023 12:42:22 AM EDT
Does anyone put grip tape on their handguard to prevent their hands from slipping? I don't always wear gloves and I'd like a permanent solution. I am considering something like this, but maybe the handguard gets too hot and won't work.

I'm trying to find a solution, I saw that talon grips makes something to put on magpul grips

Would 3M grip tape work if I wrap it around the handguard? or bad idea?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:52:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deere_John_16] [#1]
I'm your basic AR owner that shoots a few thousand rounds per year and takes a few carbine classes every now and then.  I also shoot a similar amount in my handguns again including some formal high round count per day training courses.

I have yet to have my hand ever slip off a grip due two sweat or have the handuguard be an issue.   The only grip related issue is a blister or callouse that forms on my middle finger due to the gap between the trigger guard and grip on an AR or the same feature on modern pistols..  The magpul trigger guard and others like it are a good investment.

I personally do not see any reason for grip tape for the normal average Joe gun owner.   If anything grip tape just is one more way to cause irritation when you are using the gun and the grip runs against something.

Anytime I train or know I might shoot a few hundred rounds I just put on gloves to deal with the blister
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I've done it. I used grip tape I bought off of Amazon, made a little clamp fixture to cut the tape in strips 1/2 inch wide & put it on the forend at 3,6,&9 o'clock.  cheap & easy to do.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Not on an AR.  On a pistol yes. Just never had to use it on an AR if I felt the need I would try it out.  I don't always have gloves with me when shooting, and if I did they might be to bulky or inconvient to access at the time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nintendo64] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
I tried Hockey tape on a round free float handguard  haven't shot the rifle yet
View Quote

I was thinking something similar. I just don’t know if the handguard getting too hot will melt the adhesive.

ETA: maybe I should get some mlok panels and put the tape on those instead of directly on the handguard.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
If not gloves/rail covers...

LOOK AT THESE
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I used bicycle innertube to fatten up an A2 grip on my mp15-22. A couple layers of that worked. I usually change the grips out for a bcm mod 3 though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Nintendo64:

I was thinking something similar. I just don't know if the handguard getting too hot will melt the adhesive.

ETA: maybe I should get some mlok panels and put the tape on those instead of directly on the handguard.
View Quote
Bcm's mlok panels are basically already grip tape texture.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I run the BCM MLOK 5” panels. Grippy enough, but not too grippy to snag shit.

Give those a shot and then evaluate trying actual grip tape. Location checks out, a dry day in Louisiana is 75% humidity.

Also, note there is multiple “grits” of grip tape. Stay away from off-road/ Floor use tape, that’s like 40-grit sandpaper.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#10]
MLOK covers are an option.  McNett Camo form is also a good one and doesn’t use adhesive.  I’ve gotten that stuff stupid hot with no issues.

Or throw a handstop/VFG on there to apply pressure and prevent slipping.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Taccom MLOK Grip Tape, they work and are perfect for slick surfaces like the Magpul MOE. Not all free floats are the same in grippiness.

Amazon link.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I've considered Xtreme Tape, and may end up going this route. I've used it on knife handles before with great success.

https://xtremetape.com/

-Made in USA

-Self sealing so no adhesive residue

-Temp rated to 500 degrees so wont melt on hot handguard

-Nice rubbery texture

Downside is it may look a little ghetto fabulous vs dedicated grip wraps.

A more profesional option might be the Manta Tac Wrap:

https://mantadefense.com/product/tac-wrap/
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I use talon grips for most of my stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:29:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
McNett Camo form is also a good one and doesn’t use adhesive.
View Quote

This is what I bought. Definitely the solution I was looking for. I use this and magpul mlok angled foregrip as an indexing point now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
If not gloves/rail covers...

LOOK AT THESE
View Quote

Curious how these compare to the BPG Rail Rap because these are 1/2 the price of the BPG
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I carried a M16A1 with smooth triangular handguards for three years in the desert. Hands slipping was never an issue. Don't overthink it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:35:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#17]
Originally Posted By sj586:
I carried a M16A1 with smooth triangular handguards for three years in the desert. Hands slipping was never an issue. Don't overthink it. https://preview.redd.it/q8t267nbb1m11.jpg?auto=webp&s=c70d4daf26167b46693ba854995de63276cc479c
View Quote

I've got that same rifle too, I know what you're trying to say but this is oranges and apples here, I think that you're underthinking this.

For polymer comparisons, I've also got a 6920 with Magpul MOE Mlok that also had the BCM Mlok version on it too. Both are slippery but the BCM was more slicker of the two.

For metal and free floating I've got KAC, MI, CMT made for FCD, BCM, DD, and Zev made for SOLGW. Both the Zev and the DD are indeed very slippery compared to the others mentioned. This isn't overthinking things, these are just facts to overcome because not having a solid grip using the modern shooting techniques actually matters to some folk using modern free floats, whereas that A1 handguard was shot using a relaxed grip on the bottom because thumb over that exposed bore and gas tube made for bacon fingers.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used grip tape on pistols but never found the need to use it on an AR. I have the BCM rail panels on my carbines and they offer enough grip for me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I used the rubber "Ranger" bands. Just thick elastic black band work great and no sticky residue
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I did. I used a couple of maybe 3/8" x 4" inch strips (at 3 and 9 o'clock) on my scar when I removed the pic rails and went to M-LOK on my forend. without it the front of the rifle felt a bit slick when wet or wearing cold weather gloves, or just when wearing regular gloves.

I also have a wood forend on a mossberg 590 a1 that I put a strip on the bottom of the pump, maybe 2 inches wide.  I can run the action with just the friction of the palm of my hand on the tape, no need to grip. works very well in that application
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sj586:
I carried a M16A1 with smooth triangular handguards for three years in the desert. Hands slipping was never an issue. Don't overthink it. https://preview.redd.it/q8t267nbb1m11.jpg?auto=webp&s=c70d4daf26167b46693ba854995de63276cc479c
View Quote

The desert is dry. Where I live it is extremely humid.

Also, I have a cerakote mlok handguard. It does get slippery.

The Camo Form is the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Hockey stick tape is very durable.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Just go get some from Lowes for next to nothing and try it. I run a small strip on the bottom of my handguard. It's nice.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:
Taccom MLOK Grip Tape, they work and are perfect for slick surfaces like the Magpul MOE. Not all free floats are the same in grippiness.

Amazon link.
View Quote

Got these on my MPX Carbon Fiber rail, works great
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top