Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2019 12:11:21 AM EDT
Purchased an LE6920 Magpul end of August, picked up 3x M3 window 30 round mags, came w an M2, got a great bundle deal on a Burris 332/red dot and just ordered a VTAC bungee sling and magpul Mlok mount and clip for front mount and debating on a Grip Pod vertical grip or a Magpul bipod.   Anyone have experience with the Grip Pod? Reading great reviews on it, mil spec, rugged.  I am thinking that a dual purpose vertical grip (6 oz) that doubles as a bipod makes sense vs a single function bipod (11 oz), although all the Magpul I have now is solid.   I am also worried about hanging that much weight off the front of my LE especially if I also add a light.   Any feedback, experience, or opinions welcome.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The real mil-spec ones are pretty solid and tough.  However, that's a huge bitch compared to a regular VFG.

Get a regular VFG if you want one and add a separate bipod when you need it.  I keep my issue Grippod in my range bag in case I need a bipod and forgot a normal one.

Interesting fact:  the dude that invented the Grippod was a regular dude and a poster on Arfcom.  I think he made a grip of money on it back when the GWOT money trains were running 24/7.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the mil ones and like them. They can get a bit heavy if running around with one. I only use one on my hog hunting rifle with light and pressure pad on the side of the pod.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Watch the EE, they usually pop up for less than $50.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I was probably the first Marine in the GWOT to field one.  Bought the first model (all metal) with personal funds.

Sucks as a VFG, sucks as a bipod.

Still it is very handy.  I would suggest picking up a cheap used one, and not leaving it on the rifle.  Put it on when you need it and take it off when you don't.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Interestingly poor reviews... A Magpul SL forward grip (2.5 oz) came with my rifle.   The LE version of Grip Pod weighs 6 oz.   I was hoping it would be a forward grip I could leave on as taking it off I am sure will result in not having it when I need it.   If I was looking for just a bipod I probably would look at the 11 oz Magpul.   Anyone have that bipod? Disappointing to hear big, heavy and ugly and poor performance as a grip or bipod as that is counter to all the reviews I have read.   Another question, where are people mounting their VFG and why, tight to trigger or other end of grip?  I see both locations and in middle in pics.   I assume tight to trigger and you still have option of hand in long position as well as grab the VFG when up close, or on the move.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]
As a bipod, it doesn't adjust - so there are much better bipods available.  As a VFG, it's big and heavy - but try the Mako Israeli one - it adjusts, even bigger & heavier than the GripPod.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
So maybe a better question is what is the best vertical fore grip with a bipod capability?   I have looked around and Grip Pod at 6 oz for the polymer LE version is about as light as I have found.   There must be one that you can keep mounted at as VFG and then can use to get 200/300yd shots off...
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So maybe a better question is what is the best vertical fore grip with a bipod capability?   I have looked around and Grip Pod at 6 oz for the polymer LE version is about as light as I have found.   There must be one that you can keep mounted at as VFG and then can use to get 200/300yd shots off...
View Quote
You can easily hit practical targets from 200/300 yards using your magazine as a monopod.

Alternatively, just buy a Grippod and try it out.  You might like it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Been watching a few videos, agree, a little big and ugly!   Thinking use the 1.5 oz Magpul SL VFG on front just behind where a Magpul bipod would mount, allows me a C grip backstop and if the bipod 11 oz is not too much have a real bipod stowed facing forward when not in use.   No real in between options that are rugged.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can easily hit practical targets from 200/300 yards using your magazine as a monopod.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking of this. Just use the mag and save on weight/cash?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:37:40 AM EDT
[#12]
PM/email me OP if you decide on the grip pod I got you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 2:29:00 AM EDT
[#13]
People seem to love them or hate them. Worked well on the bullpup I mounted it on. A regular bipod is better, but it's a decent middle ground.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
People seem to love them or hate them. Worked well on the bullpup I mounted it on. A regular bipod is better, but it's a decent middle ground.
View Quote
Seems that way, there is a reason the US GOV has bought 900,000 of them!   They seem to cover that gap and at 8 oz for the aluminum leg SAW version, pretty light.   The Magpul bipod is 11oz, I would try that too as only $100 but not sure I like the idea of forward pointing legs on my LE... Maybe if I pulled on and off, but point was and is one that could remain.   Stryker has a new all alum monopod VFG, looks pretty cool but only 8" extended so won't clear a 30 round clip... Thinking the Grip Pod is worth trying, just looks a little long but if it works, don't care.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seems that way, there is a reason the US GOV has bought 900,000 of them!   They seem to cover that gap and at 8 oz for the aluminum leg SAW version, pretty light.   The Magpul bipod is 11oz, I would try that too as only $100 but not sure I like the idea of forward pointing legs on my LE... Maybe if I pulled on and off, but point was and is one that could remain.   Stryker has a new all alum monopod VFG, looks pretty cool but only 8" extended so won't clear a 30 round clip... Thinking the Grip Pod is worth trying, just looks a little long but if it works, don't care.
View Quote
Grippod is dirt cheap on ebay, to my mind it's at least worth a try. If you just wanted a dedicated bipod, well a dedicated bipod is obviously better - but for doing VFG and bipod/support roles reasonably well, it's not a bad piece, and it's nice and light.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
PM/email me OP if you decide on the grip pod I got you.
View Quote
I huge thank you to TUAEITS, Grip Pod arrived today, I am impressed with the quality.   The one I have is the metal reinforced legs model (LE all plastic arms is the model below and all aluminum legs mil spec the model above as I understand their different models); the legs snap out in a few tenths of a second, push them back in and she is locked and loaded for next deployment.  I don't see the 8 oz being any kind of a weight imbalance as I plan to mount it tighter to the mag side of the fore grip so I can still have a C grip on the end for an extended arm position option when needed.   I agree with the others that have posted about the high quality, rock solid.   Compared to my Magpul SL VFG that came with my rifle, it is certainly taller, about the same circumference, actually still feels compact in a way, the extended length feels natural and it gives a good grip, I wear a size large glove so appreciate the real estate it provides, not obnoxious to my eye in any way.   I think the ability to double as a bipod brace without bipod weight or bulk will be great.  I would love to try a Magpul Bipod and see if the tilt and pan is really that big of a deal but can see myself with the Grip Pod mounted as part of my standard setup.

I heard the $35 knock offs on eBay made in China are not the same quality which makes sense.   You can tell the knock offs as the knob to tighten it down on the rail will unscrew off the stud, the real one has a preventer so it will not come off.   Grip Pod actually has a good video about the difference as I am sure their sales have been impacted as most will never push them to the extremes the real deal can handle.   There are a few side by side videos on them so worth watching before you spend $35 (or $180)!   Great product as expected.   Will post some results comments as soon as my new rail comes in so I can mount it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Hell yeah bro. Dont worry about the shipping or anything. Glad you like it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hell yeah bro. Dont worry about the shipping or anything. Glad you like it.
View Quote
Thanks again, cool grip, cant wait to test it out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#19]
5 groove Magpul rail arrived today, fits perfectly with Grip Pod.   I went 1/2 M-loc groove back from front and seems like a good compromise location.    Need to figure out posting pics here to share w people.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#21]
So first feedback, after getting used to having a full grip VFG (I wear size large gloves, don't feel like I have overly large hands) with grip pod, I put the Magpul SL VFG on and felt like a mini grip, had a hard time getting three fingers on it.   Grip pod gives you a full grip, more control of targeting IMO.   Need more time with the the bipod feature but solid thus far.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Too big as a vfg, too short as a bipod.
May as well monopod the mag.

ETA: super awesome in the DFAC though!
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Too big as a vfg, too short as a bipod.
May as well monopod the mag.

ETA: super awesome in the DFAC though!
View Quote
You may have more hands on, but does not feel too large as a VFG to me and as a bipod clears my Magpul30.   If your preference is an angled foreground or thumb break then agree, will seem "long".   I have a Magpul bipod coming too so can compare.   For a dual use device seems like a good (best) tactical compromise.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Insert 30 round mag, deploy grippod.   Try to aim above 90 degrees.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
why would you aim strait into the sKy or strait at the ground?

90 degrees is a right angel &I assume YOU  ARE ON A LEVEL SURFACE
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You may have more hands on, but does not feel too large as a VFG to me and as a bipod clears my Magpul30.   If your preference is an angled foreground or thumb break then agree, will seem "long".   I have a Magpul bipod coming too so can compare.   For a dual use device seems like a good (best) tactical compromise.
View Quote
HE IS TRYING TO SAY IT IS TOO LONG  - you know the cool kids only use finger stops now

The grip pod works fine OP

I'd rather not have a big bulky bi-pod hanging off my rifle at all times.

I am a Ft. Bragg veteran & a Panama jungle warfare school grad. I have seen brush rip off canteens  so I like my carbines as stream lined as I can. If you get the newer cam lever grip pod it is QD so no problemo
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
With a 30 round mag you are pretty much shooting parallel with the ground (what I think you meant) unless you position the legs on a wall and can tilt the mag below the leg level.   Agree it is a compromise vs an 11" bipod but for a dual purpose grip, seems fit for purpose.   I am giving myself a present of a Magpul Bipod so can compare all three.   Reality is I will have a range bag when at the range so not really an issue to swap out accessories but I can see why the US Army issues them, would be interesting to hear how they performed and opinions from a Soldier's perspective.   I am sure some carried a bipod but suspect most did not and were not unhappy with having a bipod of sorts in their VFG.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

HE IS TRYING TO SAY IT IS TOO LONG  - you know the cool kids only use finger stops now

The grip pod works fine OP

I'd rather not have a big bulky bi-pod hanging off my rifle at all times.

I am a Ft. Bragg veteran & a Panama jungle warfare school grad. I have seen brush rip off canteens  so I like my carbines as stream lined as I can. If you get the newer cam lever grip pod it is QD so no problemo
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59914/m4_JPG-1202759.JPG
View Quote
I am thinking a bipod with legs folded forward would be bulky too... I like your setup as well.    I hear the too long comment too but feels like a full grip vs "too long" to me... and hit a button and in 1/10th sec you have a support!   Will have more of a comparison after I play around with a Magpul Bipod.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Only good for level surfaces. Nothing is level in the field other than windows (and you dont want to set up in a window). Car hoods and trumks are not level, the ground is never level, etc. Way better off to use a lightweight bag clipped to your belt or arm if you want a hasty long range front support.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

With a 30 round mag you are pretty much shooting parallel with the ground (what I think you meant) unless you position the legs on a wall and can tilt the mag below the leg level.   Agree it is a compromise vs an 11" bipod but for a dual purpose grip, seems fit for purpose.   I am giving myself a present of a Magpul Bipod so can compare all three.   Reality is I will have a range bag when at the range so not really an issue to swap out accessories but I can see why the US Army issues them, would be interesting to hear how they performed and opinions from a Soldier's perspective.   I am sure some carried a bipod but suspect most did not and were not unhappy with having a bipod of sorts in their VFG.
View Quote
I was issued a Grippod and had it available on deployment.  I think I even started a thread here around 2005 with a “hey, look at this new toy” thread when they first came out.

There are not that many circumstances to get practical use out of it in field conditions.

I mostly saw them used by garrison soldiers as a means to sit their weapon on the floor next to their table while they ate in the DFAC at a big FOB.

However, it’s well made. If it works for your purpose, use it.  I keep mine in my range bag as a “oh shit” bipod in case I need one unexpectedly.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Only good for level surfaces. Nothing is level in the field other than windows (and you dont want to set up in a window). Car hoods and trumks are not level, the ground is never level, etc. Way better off to use a lightweight bag clipped to your belt or arm if you want a hasty long range front support.
View Quote
Makes sense...
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was issued a Grippod and had it available on deployment.  I think I even started a thread here around 2005 with a “hey, look at this new toy” thread when they first came out.

There are not that many circumstances to get practical use out of it in field conditions.

I mostly saw them used by garrison soldiers as a means to sit their weapon on the floor next to their table while they ate in the DFAC at a big FOB.

However, it’s well made. If it works for your purpose, use it.  I keep mine in my range bag as a “oh shit” bipod in case I need one unexpectedly.
View Quote
That's awesome, AR holder while eating rations!  That begs the question, is there a better alternative.  That is what started my investigation and ended up with GP being the best choice out there.   Maybe there isn't... And a regular VFG is the answer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 1:53:59 AM EDT
[#33]
@Hooray

Did you buy one yet?  If not, don't.
I've got a bunch, and will just send you one.

Hell, I'll even send you a new one, not one that saw hundreds of hours of service in the DFAC
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  That's awesome, AR holder while eating rations!  That begs the question, is there a better alternative.  That is what started my investigation and ended up with GP being the best choice out there.   Maybe there isn't... And a regular VFG is the answer.
View Quote
There's the Israeli one sold by Mako, that works better as a bipod, and is even heavier.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There's the Israeli one sold by Mako, that works better as a bipod, and is even heavier.
View Quote
Doesn't the Jewpod have an unfortunate magnum dildo appearance?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  Doesn't the Jewpod have an unfortunate magnum dildo appearance?
View Quote
It's a feature - if the latch breaks, you can put a condom on it & keep the legs together.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's a feature - if the latch breaks, you can put a condom on it & keep the legs together.
View Quote
Lol!  Been playing around with the GP and I can see on uneven surfaces it is not ideal but appears like if you are on the move without time to mount a true bipod w independent legs and time to set up, it gives you a quick stable platform to get a few long distance shots off, then move again.   Not sure how guys are actually using them in field (other than ration racks) but I do like that it weighs 7 oz, does not feel like it weighs down the front end at all.   Ammunition Depot sent me a free tak light so going to check into the light mount option and see how that works... Still have not pulled the trigger on the Magpul bipod...
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#38]
They are good for laughs when the rifle is slung in front you and you bump the button.
THWACK---- right in the nuts
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They are good for laughs when the rifle is slung in front you and you bump the button.
THWACK---- right in the nuts
View Quote
I wondered about that!!! The button looks pretty protected but it does release sub-second with a nice sound as you note! Still wondering if there is a better alternative.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Still liking the Grip Pod.  Getting used to full grip size too.   Now my Magpul SL VFG feels like a mini VFG when I mount it!   Convenient to have a stable rest for a rock, a log, etc one second and one button press away.   Added a AAA 200 lumens tac light on right side just in line with barrel with a Magpul light mount kit.   Works well w both buttons right there... Likely some tactical users have more real world experience w the GP but it is rugged and reliable and seems to do what it says it will do.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top