Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2022 6:11:35 PM EDT
Late 2019, I bought a Grid Defense 9mm billet lower (Glock mags) and a Grid Defense (No F/A) billet upper.
I just started the build and find there is a lot of play/wobble (too much) in the assembled upper-lower. More than I have ever experienced.
Has anybody experienced this?
Any suggestions beyond an Accu-Wedge?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Late 2019, I bought a Grid Defense 9mm billet lower (Glock mags) and a Grid Defense (No F/A) billet upper.
I just started the build and find there is a lot of play/wobble (too much) in the assembled upper-lower. More than I have ever experienced.
Has anybody experienced this?
Any suggestions beyond an Accu-Wedge?
Thanks
View Quote

Sometimes different pivot/takedown pins can tighten things up. If not, someone makes a brass horseshoe shaped shim that can be sanded to fit. Snaps into the u shaped recess in front of the lug on the upper. Can't remember the name of that off hand but I'll try to do a web search and let you know.

Edit: I found this picture doing a search for receiver slop fix. Still haven't found who makes it. Maybe someone else here will recognize it.

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Very interesting, I do a search.
I also found on YouTube a clip showing the use of an O-ring (#7, 3/8") put on the front pivot lug.
I haven't tried.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpPDQzfonYg
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Why do you not care for the accu-wedge?  It's cheap, quick and works.  Super easy to remove also.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Here ya go. National match shim.

http://www.wheeldiamond.com/nationalmatchshim.htm
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I used a .0002 stainless steel shim washer on both sides of the upper pivot lug AND JP .0001 plus sized pins on my last build.  May not be necessary but I wanted this build to be tight enough so there would be nothing to blame for inaccuracy except the loose nut behind the trigger.

I got the shim washers from McMaster.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
A 3/8"x1/16" O-ring stretched around the pivot pin lug on the upper does wonders to reduce play between upper and lower, whether it would be enough would remain to be seen but for about 40 cents you could try it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#8]
s4s4u: Better than an Accu-Wedge?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
s4s4u: Better than an Accu-Wedge?
View Quote

I think so.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top