Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2022 8:38:40 PM EDT
So I was wondering why my proof 18" barrel for the LMT wasn't shooting great this last range trip.  It's very new, and has only had about 100 rounds of BH MK262 through it.  

By "not shooting great" I mean 2.75".  Also shot some 75gr Hornady match this last time just to see if it was any better - and that was a no.  

I shoot gas guns mostly and precision ones frequently and have a great steady hold and trigger pull.  I'm going to get the maximum out of the gun that it'll do.  

Bore scope time.  Check out this gas port comb-over lol.

Ugly:

Link Posted: 11/7/2022 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Right?   It looks like a cartoon head puking
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot some Wolf ammo through it
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Which borescope do you use?
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Its made by Teslong.  Very high quality, very cheap, good images.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
You got a little schmutz there...how do you fix that? Would those fire- lapping bullets be a remedy for something like this?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't believe that did not shoot off with the first shot.  Burs or even caps are not uncommon, especially if a dull bit was used to drill the port, but they are usually gone after one or two shots.  If its so bad it wont shoot out after a few shots, time to contact the make for a new barrel IMO.  I sure as heck would not do anything to remove it and chance the maker saying you mucked it up so tough noogies.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]
My...that was victorious.  No shit - I love it.  This puking gas port could become the next meme around here.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
So, I have been doing an analysis of potential other failure causes...and I found another.  The bolt is hitting the receiver extension before it centers and closes.  

The broaching for the bolt head is far enough clocked wrong that sometimes the bolt doesn't wanna unlock.  

I installed another barrel and it for sure doesn't do any of that.  Nice smooth close and unlock.

This is the last time I go cheap and pay $865 for an AR barrel.  

I'm in contact with the vendor - lets see what they say.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn dude. I'm not trying to be a dick I hope you learned that more money isn't more better. Just get a Ballistic Advantage barrel and move forward.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Damn dude. I'm not trying to be a dick I hope you learned that more money isn't more better. Just get a Ballistic Advantage barrel and move forward.
View Quote

My last two ballistic advantage barrels had problems with improperly cut chambers.   You would bore scope them and the throat area was crooked as F.  

I go through a lot of AR type guns due to boredom.  The best cheaper barrels i have found are criterion’s.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
What has Proof said?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Its the holidays - I'm still working on it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll stick with my FN barrels I guess.  FWIW, if that were a mini-14 those would be considered tight groups.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

My experience with BA barrels is that they are crap
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Is this for an MWS/MRP upper?  If so, is it manufactured by Proof or built by a custom barrel manufacturer utilizing a Proof blank?  

Didn’t think Proof made drop in barrels for the LMT monolithic guns.  Either way, I’ll be interested to see if this is a Proof problem or shitty barrel maker problem.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I’m getting it back soon and will let you know how it goes. It isn’t a proof drop in, but this hole was drilled by proof in the ar15 version of the barrel.  

I have this same conversion companies barrel in my MWS and it shoots lights out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd be very mad, for what Proofs cost.

Link Posted: 1/14/2023 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Temper your expectations. I had a problem with a proof barrel going bolt action on me after a few rounds. Turns out the chamber neck wasn’t cut properly. I had sent the entire rifle back to them. They simply drilled out the Fucking gas port and returned it

It still didn’t work. I sent it to another gunsmith and had the chamber ever so slightly reamed. It now runs great but no thanks to proof.

I emailed their CS complaining about the lack of results from them, and having to send it elsewhere. They didn’t give a shit.

Last dollar I ever give proof. I get that things go wrong and need fixing. That’s fine. Not supporting your product isn’t excusable. Never again.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Alright.  Back from the range.  So this was an interesting trip.  We put another barrel in my LMT MLR upper and it looked like it was crooked AF.  

I cracked out a rifle length LM8 and shot the proof barrel some more.  First of all, in the LM8 upper it was much better centered.  And secondly the more I shot it the better it shot.  So I shot 3 groups as it shot in some more with 20 rounds of green tip between them.  

Group one in the new upper was 1 MOA.  Second was .86.  Third was .56.  

Going out to distance the thing rocked the 3” plates at 500 yds.  

I think it’s gonna be OK.  And LMT gets to look at this other upper. LOL.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#22]
What you got their is fire cutting... and it is perfectly normal. All barrels do this at the gas port, the hot gasses passing through the hole are slowly melting away the metal in the path of the hot gasses. It will get worse looking as time goes on. The amount of metal burnt away for 100 rounds looks to be acceptable.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top