Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2020 6:53:16 PM EDT
Last Friday I ordered a 16" BRN-180 upper. It arrived today.

Out of the box I noticed wear, everywhere. The bolt specifically. On the top rail, on the left side of the receiver, on the right side of the rail. I'd say this is not new, but used. Has anyone else seen this kind of wear?

And it "fits most AR lowers". It took me three lowers until it finally fit on a Aero Precision lower.

I'll be sending it back for a full refund.

Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  Go shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Rough machining marks on the carrier, but the rest is just scuffs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow.  Go shoot it.
View Quote
The poors must stop
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#4]
None of these photos show wear except the bolt which probably was just from function checks.

Handling marks yes, wear and tear no.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Who made the other lowers you tried? In my experience, everything fits on PSA and Poverty Pony lowers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow.  Go shoot it.
View Quote
Quoted:

The poors must stop
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#7]
If this was a Grand Seiko "Godzilla" watch that you saved up 12k to buy and it had scuffs on it, sure I get that. However, this is a tool that is meant to be used. Shoot it, see how it runs and what kind of groups you can get out of it. The beauty in something like this is the function, not so much the form. A handling mark, scratch or ding here and there will not hurt it. Use your guns, get some scratches on them, run them in the rain and the snow and enjoy...
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont see anything that wouldnt happen from shipping in a cardboard box lol. Go shoot it
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who made the other lowers you tried? In my experience, everything fits on PSA and Poverty Pony lowers.
View Quote
Colt, Stag, then Aero. The BC locked up on the Stag lower. Only went about halfway back.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be keeping the upper.

What has everyone used for a lower?

I was thinking of the Brownells BRN 180 lower, or add a KNS rail interface to a stripped AR lower. KNS is the cheaper option.

I'm not a fan of the skinny Sig stock, It looks sickly. I do like the looks of the AR180B stock, add it to a folding hinge.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll be keeping the upper.

What has everyone used for a lower?

I was thinking of the Brownells BRN 180 lower, or add a KNS rail interface to a stripped AR lower. KNS is the cheaper option.

I'm not a fan of the skinny Sig stock, It looks sickly. I do like the looks of the AR180B stock, add it to a folding hinge.
View Quote
A wise choice.

If you don't have a spare, might as well get Brownelled so they match.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I do have a spare. An ANDERSON lower! Go poors!

I still might get the Brownells lower. The Anderson fits, but the color is wrong.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I do have a spare. An ANDERSON lower! Go poors!

I still might get the Brownells lower. The Anderson fits, but the color is wrong.
View Quote
Either way.

I got plenty of color mismatched stuff, doesn't matter. That's why guys (including myself) were giving you a hard time about small stuff. It just doesn't matter.

But on the flipside, an excuse for a new lower is good
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Is the rubber recoil pad needed with the Brownells lower? The lower looks a little thicker in the back end, like the buffer won't fit. No big deal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#16]
My progress so far. Tomorrow is payday so I'll order a lower parts kit. That's the beauty of assembling ARs, a little at a time and as finances permit.

ETA: Sure, it goes on sale the week after I order it.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/brn-180-ar-15-complete-upper-receiver-assembly-prod122861.aspx

Link Posted: 2/28/2020 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I had the sig mcx minimalist stock and I hated it. Ill be using the folding lage mpx stock this go around. Its priced nicely as well

http://www.max-11.com/MPX%20Stocks.html
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Good grief man...you will get those marks the first range trip...lol...take a class and you might have a heart attack
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's how it stands now. This is not the final iteration. Waiting on a Larue grip, an ACE 1913 adapter and stock, and a Stormwekrz folding hinge. It will be a left folder.

Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#20]
First few times on and off the lower ( Bushmaster ) I had to knock the pins in with a mallet. After a few hundred rounds it loosed up and now I can push the pins in and out by hand.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#21]
First few times on and off the lower ( Bushmaster SBR ) I had to knock the pins in with a mallet. After a few hundred rounds it loosed up and now I can push the pins in and out by hand.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]
You are being exceptionally picky and whiny.  It’s a gun, you are going to put more wear on it with a couple range sessions. You are what is wrong with gun owners! Those wear marks are probably from shipping movement or assembly.

I know they fit psa and aero lowers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You are being exceptionally picky and whiny.  It’s a gun, you are going to put more wear on it with a couple range sessions. You are what is wrong with gun owners! Those wear marks are probably from shipping movement or assembly.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#24]
How much did you pay for it? The PWS MFG blem models can be found here for $599.

https://www.primaryweapons.com/brn-180
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing a rattlecan camo job wouldn't cover

As far as fitment on lower, looks like OP already found a lower that fits the new upper so all is well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I just gotta ask ya why your are going to change the lower by adding a hinged stock when doesn’t the stock BR180 already come with a folding stock? now I admit I have installed several of the stock hint units to make it easier to put in a soft case. The fact that it fires from the closed stock position seems a good thing while mine with he standard DI upper do not. NOt that I am dying to fire one without the stock opened up to full length.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#27]
All not well here either.  Got my brn180s yesterday and cleaned it up, ready to sight in my optic......

Buuuut 27 out of 40 rounds were light strikes.  Took it home and cleaned the bolt carrier again and wiped down the firing pin again.  Going to give it another go tonight. Hopefully it was just shipping oil schmuts (schmoo) in the firing pin channel still.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's how it looks now. Still need a sling.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I contacted Brownells and their CS staff rose to the challenge. Received a replacement upper the day after I called and bam.  Exact same problem.  This time when I switched from an Anderson lower to an Aero Precision it fired off without a hitch.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I contacted Brownells and their CS staff rose to the challenge. Received a replacement upper the day after I called and bam.  Exact same problem.  This time when I switched from an Anderson lower to an Aero Precision it fired off without a hitch.
View Quote

what trigger in your Anderson? and your Aero?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#31]
@joelad

Might not hurt to update your first post with an edit update and maybe the thread title as well.

Can you share a few photos of some group sizes with ammo info once you hit the range with the current configuration?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Both had PSA cheapos. The one in the Anderson was the polished cheapo (light strikes)
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TimeChuck:
Both had PSA cheapos. The one in the Anderson was the polished cheapo (light strikes)
View Quote

of course, check to make sure your hammer spring is installed correctly, not upside down, backwards, under the trigger pin instead of on it.  presuming a std hammer spring, not "upgraded" with a lightweight spring (for reduced trigger pull weight).  otherwise, as a minimum, consider upgrading at least to a reputable USGI, such as RTB, ALG, etc.  just my 2 cents, FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#34]
It's not a weaker spring, it's their "polished" sear.  When buying for my son's AR (the aero is/was his) the upgraded kit was the same price as the regular. I've been kicking around the thought of new internals for both for a while now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BrickWurX:
How much did you pay for it? The PWS MFG blem models can be found here for $599.

https://www.primaryweapons.com/brn-180
View Quote

Page not found.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#36]
that's because they sold out all the blem BRN-180's they had in stock.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I just received my BRN180S upper and I, too, considered calling Brownells about the amount of wear.  The bolt face was almost completely brass colored and the underside of the carrier was, as well.  Also, the bolt carrier pin has certainly seen a decent amount of use.

I probably won't bother with anything beyond a call or review... but the amount of use goes well beyond functional checks, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#38]
You never know - they may have had a problem and had to shoot a few boxes of ammo before being satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, I handed down my previous upper to my son. Its a CMMG 5.56, 16", 1:7, 'modified HBAR' (RECCE profile), chrome-lined mid-length gas, 'M4' upper, 'M16' bolt carrier, standard charging handle. A little heavy but a stout shooter. Not as heavy as the one he's replacing, a Rock River 18" Stainless Full Bull, 1:8, Wylde chamber, 'M4' upper, IDK what BC it has in it. Damn barrel must weigh 10 lbs.

So now I don't need the stock, tube, buffer and spring from when I was using the upper, so I can get a new set-up for the BRN-180. Time to do some shopping!
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#40]
The son and I traded stocks. I sent him the M16A1 with all parts and he sent me the very carbine stock that was on the Bushmaster carbine I sold to him around 2006. I installed it and liked it a lot. Now the rifle is really losing weight, so I decided to continue the process. Next to go was the ACOG, but I'm keeping that at least for now. I went with a compact dot sight and a set of folding sights. Now the rifle feels at least 2 pounds lighter - wish I had weighed it as it was and at points during the reconfiguring. What a transformation!

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#41]
How is the accuracy with the BRN 180/S? I just purchased the gen 2 S today and am wondering what everyone thinks.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top