Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2020 6:12:46 PM EDT
... and I couldn’t be happier!!! He even used one of his 80’s to get the forge flash on the underside and backside of the receiver!

Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
That man is a wizard.

Amazing
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
As a so-so aluminum tig welder I am impressed with his craft.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That man is a wizard.

Amazing
View Quote
Agreed!!! This is what i sent him.

Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As a so-so aluminum tig welder I am impressed with his craft.
View Quote
I can’t weld for shit so I’m amazed it can be done period LOL!
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought he wasn’t doing anymore work ?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well he did mine and he was working on a few others when I talked to him last week
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
He's not engraving trademarked logos anymore.

ETA- Just noticed the liquid on the bottom right of the magwell.
Tears of happiness?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]
That's beautiful. It's funny, my 556XXX serial XM16e1 is a full fence lower while yours, built after mine, is a partial fence.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's beautiful. It's funny, my 556XXX serial XM16e1 is a full fence lower while yours, built after mine, is a partial fence.
View Quote
From what I’ve researched the serial numbers weren’t run in order
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't anodize it because you'll see the weld and it will look "distracting" to say the least.  I used Duracoat on my GM reweld that Braceman did and you can't tell.  Plus you get to use their swatches and get the color super close. I bet you can't tell where the weld is....  BTW...........that is a kick ass lower sir!!

Link Posted: 3/11/2020 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Why not use moly resin? This is killer!
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He's not engraving trademarked logos anymore.

https://i.imgur.com/s9PdmEO.jpg

ETA- Just noticed the liquid on the bottom right of the magwell.
Tears of happiness?
View Quote
HAHAHA!!! Yeah either that or water LOL
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't anodize it because you'll see the weld and it will look "distracting" to say the least.  I used Duracoat on my GM reweld that Braceman did and you can't tell.  Plus you get to use their swatches and get the color super close. I bet you can't tell where the weld is....  BTW...........that is a kick ass lower sir!!

https://i.imgur.com/dcGWU4l.jpg
View Quote
I plan on using Norrells, I think it was M4it who posted that he had one of his anodized and during the prep process his roll marks were all but destroyed
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you mean re-anodizing roll marked aluminum?

I was just wondering why some markings get washed out looking.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you mean re-anodizing roll marked aluminum?

I was just wondering why some markings get washed out looking.
View Quote
Yeah, during prep they sand blast the receiver and if there’s any hidden pitting under the existing anodizing it could mess up the roll marks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#16]
You might see some color difference between the raw aluminum and black anodized portions of the receiver.
The raw eighty percent lowers that I’ve coated with Norrell’s  Colt grey are noticeably lighter than the black
anodized lowers that I coated with same bottle of Norrell’s.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#17]
That's awesome. I have a pristine XM16E1 COMPLETE upper with BCG and all. I really need one of these.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You might see some color difference between the raw aluminum and black anodized portions of the receiver.
The raw eighty percent lowers that I’ve coated with Norrell’s  Colt grey are noticeably lighter than the black
anodized lowers that I coated with same bottle of Norrell’s.
View Quote
I’ve been mulling over the idea of not even touching the magwell with norrells and keeping the original anodizing visible anyway. Plus the magwell isn’t black
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’ve been mulling over the idea of not even touching the magwell with norrells and keeping the original anodizing visible anyway. Plus the magwell isn’t black
View Quote
Boy, me too.
I'm wondering if the DoD stamp will survive a bake in the oven.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Boy, me too.
I'm wondering if the DoD stamp will survive a bake in the oven.
View Quote
I’m sure it will most people use norrells on them
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Op that’s nice, I blasted a few of those w/o losing the engravings and reanodized In black , yes you can see the weld but I sprayed with norrels and they looked great I did darkened then up some to match the og anodize of the original receiver. Just gotta take your time with them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Your XM16E1 reweld is pretty nice.
I really think that you should only blast and apply finish to the rear half of the receiver leaving the original anodizing alone.
Using an airbrush tuned to a very small pattern you could fill in a few of the really bad areas of the anodizing.
Give it a chance, then later if you don't like it, you can completely refinish it over again pretty easily with the Norrells.

I blasted, and sprayed the rear half of my braceman reweld with Norrells greyish black flat, and then cooked it at a temperature of almost 350 degrees.

The DoD stamp is still quiet visible.
For what it's worth, I wrapped several layers of aluminum foil over the painted stamp before baking.
I'm happy to say that the Norrells matches the original anodizing pretty good.
Pictures to come later in my 1968 M16A1 build thread.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Your XM16E1 reweld is pretty nice.
I really think that you should only blast and apply finish to the rear half of the receiver leaving the original anodizing alone.
Using an airbrush tuned to a very small pattern you could fill in a few of the really bad areas of the anodizing.
Give it a chance, then later if you don't like it, you can completely refinish it over again pretty easily with the Norrells.

I blasted, and sprayed the rear half of my braceman reweld with Norrells greyish black flat, and then cooked it at a temperature of almost 350 degrees.

The DoD stamp is still quiet visible.
For what it's worth, I wrapped several layers of aluminum foil over the painted stamp before baking.
I'm happy to say that the Norrells matches the original anodizing pretty good.
Pictures to come later in my 1968 M16A1 build thread.
View Quote

Yeah I’m gonna start out by only doing the back half of the receiver with norrells to see how close it is.  I’m not sure when that’s gonna happen, I have to get a new router and endmill to mill it out first but that’s gonna have to wait due to this whole corona virus shit that’s happening

I look forward to seeing the progress on your build!
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Guys, new on here, if gentleman still does receivers, could someone give me his info? Thank you
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top