Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2020 4:45:02 PM EDT
So I got my FN barrel, and I don’t know if it is slightly larger or has to much coating on it? I can not get my gas block to slide onto the barrel where it’s stepped up slightly where the gas block goes. I have tried both a Geissele has block and a Daniel Defense MK12. I have even tried lapping the inside of the Geissele gas block. I tried both gas blocks on a Colt and DD barrel and they slip on. Question is what is the secret? I have never had this issue before and I don’t want to try a little love on the gas block as it won’t ever come off short of a BFH. I’ve even cleaned the preservant off the barrel.
Thanks in advance!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Please forgive me if this is stating the obvious (one never knows), but did you lube the shit out of the barrel and try to tap the GB on with a brass hammer?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please forgive me if this is stating the obvious (one never knows), but did you lube the shit out of the barrel and try to tap the GB on with a brass hammer?
View Quote
Yes, I did. I ended up tapping it back off as I was nervous it was not going to come off. I used Lucas extreme weapons lube, should I use grease or something else instead?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Try heating it the gas block.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, I did. I ended up tapping it back off as I was nervous it was not going to come off. I used Lucas extreme weapons lube, should I use grease or something else instead?
View Quote
I'm no expert.  But off the top of my head, I've tapped on at least two GBs that were tight fitting with no ill effect.  The guns all run fine.  Again, key word is TAPPED.  I didn't have to bang them on.

I used a high quality oil (vice grease) each time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Put the barrel in the freezer for 3 hrs,, put the GB in a pan on the stove and heat it up for 10 minutes.  Side them together
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Put the barrel in the freezer for 3 hrs,, put the GB in a pan on the stove and heat it up for 10 minutes.  Side them together
View Quote
Or in the oven.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

If you have a small propane torch, heat the gas block and use a mallet to tap the gas block on. Just remember to get it straight before it cools. If this doesn't work than one or both of your parts are out of spec.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Or in the oven.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or in the oven.
I second the oven technique. Will have an easier time controlling the temperature and evenly heating the material. Sometimes gas blocks go on hard and come off hard. This is not unique to AR's. I just did a bubba job on an SKS. Had to tap the gas block off and tap it back on twice while I was going through the gradual process of opening up the gas port. In my instance this time on the SKS, I did not require heat. I actually used a very thick wood dowel and a steel hammer to transfer the energy from the hammer to the gas block, via the wooden dowel. Worked very well and didn't mar the material at all.

My finished product.

Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Freezer and oven. I almost guarantee it will slip right on.

Edit to add: I put my small parts in a toaster oven in my garage for 10 min on like 250* and the larger piece in the deep freeze for a couple hours.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#11]
After removing/adding a gas block on an AK, this sounds like easy work

Put oil on the gas block area on the barrel, heat up the gas block so the metal expands and tap it on with a non marring mallet.

It should go on without any issues. In my case I used a BFH and 3/4" brass rod that was about a foot long.

A press fit isn't a bad thing
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#12]
When building my Mod 2 at Hodge Defense, we dressed the inside of the gas block by using a drill type tool with a soft buffer attachment, and then the gas block (SLR) could be tapped on with a plastic mallet and some CLP. It is a very tight fit. Which is a good thing. My Daniel Defense setups, as you say, were more of a slip fit. They worked okay, too, but tighter is better in this case.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When building my Mod 2 at Hodge Defense, we dressed the inside of the gas block by using a drill type tool with a soft buffer attachment, and then the gas block (SLR) could be tapped on with a plastic mallet and some CLP. It is a very tight fit. Which is a good thing. My Daniel Defense setups, as you say, were more of a slip fit. They worked okay, too, but tighter is better in this case.
View Quote
When assembling my Hodge FN barrel and SLR gas block I used a propane torch to heat the gas block up and it went right on, I also used this method to fit the barrel to the receiver. Worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When assembling my Hodge FN barrel and SLR gas block I used a propane torch to heat the gas block up and it went right on, I also used this method to fit the barrel to the receiver. Worked perfectly.
View Quote
Absolutely. This works, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top