Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
That was a real page turner.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This OP?
https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark-legal-shift-opens-pandoras-box-for-diy-guns/
Cody Wilson makes digital files that let anyone 3-D print untraceable guns. The government tried to stop him. He sued—and won.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
OP failed...
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Youhadonejob.jpg
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL, . Sorry guys , fixed in OP.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Mostly a 1A issue, very little 2A content.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It definitely has an anti-gun slant.

Makes me want to go downstairs and fire up my DeWalt router and use my 5D Tactical PRO jig to cut out more lowers.  
View Quote
I got the impression their main concern is folks who shouldn't have firearms.  Depending on who you talk to, that ranges from violent criminals to just about everybody (I'm sure the latter applies here.)
That's the tradeoff of living in a free society.  Possession of knowledge is not enough to imply a person will ever use that knowledge in a destructive manner.  If that was the case, we'd be throwing in jail every novelist, journalist, or subject matter expert who relies on some form of media to practice their profession.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#11]
This was on slashdot the other day, didn't think about posting it over here.

Basically, the guy creates data files for 3d printers to create a firearm - basically, a Liberator type pistol.  Of course, AR lowers, etc are possible as well.

Anyway, the State Dept. put an injunction on him over ITAR, since folks outside of US could download said data files over the intertoobs.

Here's where it gets good - ITAR only controls *military* items.  And now the government has stated that basically anything under .50 and not full auto isn't inherently military.  So big win for 1st amendment and the guys freedom to publish whatever on the web, and a nice future-help by having the government state that an AR15 or other EBR isn't inherently military as long as the happy switch doesn't work/exist.

"Under terms of the settlement, the government has agreed to waive its prior restraint against the plaintiffs, allowing them to freely publish the 3-D files and other information at issue. The government has also agreed to pay a significant portion of the plaintiffs' attorney's fees, and to return $10,000 in State Department registration dues paid by Defense Distributed as a result of the prior restraint. Significantly, the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber -- including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms -- are not inherently military."
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#12]
There was a post on GD the other day about this.

6000 Ghost Gunner Machines Sold
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
ITAR is such a sticky mess.  I'm glad they made a distinction.  I feel sorry for the engineers that work on civilian infrastructure projects in other countries.  A sewage processing facility may contain technology that could be re-purposed for use in making and storing chemical weapons.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#14]
It is also important to note that the government, for the first time, declared that the AR15 is a modern sporting rifle and not inherently a military weapon. That in itself is a small victory that could come into play later.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is also important to note that the government, for the first time, declared that the AR15 is a modern sporting rifle and not inherently a military weapon. That in itself is a small victory that could come into play later.
View Quote
Is it really though? The Miller case said military arms are inherently protected by the 2nd.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#16]
An important thing that I think Wired left out for some reason is this is a protection of information as well as guns. I don't know why a tech company would leave that out and only include a couple sentences on it. If you watch their youtube video, it kinda explains everything.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top