Posted: 4/22/2021 3:03:58 PM EDT
Look for a good Upper receiver to build my next rifle with

What is Good and Bad?
I see there is so many companies now and I have no clue what to get

I will be using a Geissele Rail, Colt Barrel, & PSA lower if that helps

Would like to keep it on the cheap side if possible but want quality
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Best quality for the price, Aero Precision M4E1 uppers. And a unicorn to find in stock, Brownells has them as of posting this
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
My goto are the Aero slickside and Primary Arms is getting them in stock from time to time.  Go there and sign up for email notification and be ready when you get the nod.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Anderson.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never had a 'bad' upper, although I'm sure they are out there.
I've seen plenty of them in EE over the last few weeks.

JSE is a good vendor: Anderson at JSE
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for Anderson.  The last four I have bought were a very snug fit to the barrel extension, but not so stupid tight you had to heat anything up but too tight to even get a .0015 inch shim in there.  They were tight enough they would not go in on their own but only required a little push to get them to seat.  They were also the most squared at the front of the threads of any uppers I have used over the last 20 years, and that includes several billets costing three times as much which are supposed to be top of the line, at least considering their stupid name inflated price.  You don't always get what you pay for!   I won't use anything else now, Anderson Ghost lowers and uppers for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
BCM blems were a great deal during the salad days
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Stag, decent price. And in stock every other week.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody have experience with Unbranded AR?

They seem to get good reviews.

$59 at AIM Surplus...

$68 at the UnbrandedAR website...
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Anderson and Aero are both fine.  These days with everything OOS everywhere you kinda gotta buy what you can find.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:34:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I recently used a V Seven upper that was very nice, though I agree with others that the overwhelming majority of what's out there will work identically.

I have Centurion and Anderson uppers sitting in the spare parts bin and outside of the Centurion roll mark and T stampings on the pic rail, I couldn't tell them apart.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not buy a PSA URG..

The prices are cheap and it would match the lower.

I don't know if you have a BCG but for the price you win either by selling or using it.

Strip everything elae and sell it on the EE
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My goto are the Aero slickside and Primary Arms is getting them in stock from time to time.  Go there and sign up for email notification and be ready when you get the nod.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anderson.

View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Under $60 stripped. Cheaper than EE/used.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess Ill go with an Anderson, anyone know a place that has them in stock?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your port door pin is backwards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Jesus Christ!

What I get for slapping shit together in a Friday rush.  
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ!

Thanks.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Christ!

Thanks.

lol

I've done weirder shit....
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's all good.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I guess Ill go with an Anderson, anyone know a place that has them in stock?
View Quote

PA has assembled Andie's in stock for $70
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:00:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Anderson
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:16:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pin together an upper with URX 3.1, let the threadlocker set, then realize you didn't install the port door and have to completely strip it.

What kinda idiot would do that? Not me, no way
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Question, is there any real difference between Anderson and some of the higher end companies?

Would you go to war with a Anderson Upper is what Im asking?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#25]
If I'm completely building an upper, the Aero M4E1 is the ONLY one I will consider
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Question, is there any real difference between Anderson and some of the higher end companies?

View Quote

Cost, for the most part.  There can be subtle differences such as ano depth and color or other cosmetic enhancements.  Aero has an "enhanced" upper with built-in handguard mounting platform that doesn't require any timing of the barrel nut to align the handguard, but then you are married to their handguards.  I prefer clamp-on handguards which achieve the same end result.

Yes, once I have vetted it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I've used Anderson uppers several times in the past and find when truing the face of the receiver, they typically benefit from the process. It's very easy to see imperfections as the tool and lapping paste removes the anodizing from the edge. I usually shim around the barrel extension with 0.001 or 0.002 shim stock.

I just bought a ZRO Delta upper for $70 at Joe Bob since there weren't any Anderson in stock. When lapping it, no high areas were detectable and the width was very consistent. One of the few receivers I've bought that really didn't benefit from lapping. The barrel extension fit snug enough that I didn't feel it necessary to even shim it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#28]
ZRO Delta
View Quote

I have never heard of them.  What lower did you pair it with and how did the ano match up?  Might have to give them a shot as I have 2 new lowers that I have yet to top off.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Are Spinta Precision's any good?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have never heard of them.  What lower did you pair it with and how did the ano match up?  Might have to give them a shot as I have 2 new lowers that I have yet to top off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ZRO Delta

@s4s4u

ZRODelta is a contracting manufacturer.  https://zrodelta.com/contract-manufacturing/

Unbranded AR is apparently the DBA house branding under the ZRO Delta manufacturing contractor umbrella.

Unbranded AR is allegedly (repeat allegedly, i.e. according to themselves) a source for many well-known OEM AR companies--though I do not know the actual facts of the matter.

TEXT: ...unBrandedAR is a dba of ZRODelta, LLC, a North Carolina Limited Liability Company. unBranded AR address is 100 Beiersdorf Drive, Connelly Springs, NC 28612.

https://www.unbrandedar.com/terms.asp

Here is a link to the $69 stripped uppers from my previous post:  https://www.unbrandedar.com/Forged-Upper-p/7032-0016-4121.htm

AIM Surplus  has them for $59, and they seem to get excellent reviews, but the most recent review indicated that the upper the reviewer received did not have a forging mark--which is why I hesitated to purchase one.  Everything else seems to check out.

https://aimsurplus.com/unbranded-ar-forged-7075-a4-upper-receiver/
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are other things that are more critical, mainly the bolt carrier group and the fire control parts.  The upper and lower receivers for the most part are either in spec or not.  The Anderson uppers I've used have been acceptable.

Most people who go to war to so with what is issued to them.  Stuff that is made by a contractor who bid for that contract.

Right now parts are in short supply.  Your choice may be to buy what you can get, or not buy anything.  Between an indefinite wait and an Anderson upper now.  I'd take the Anderson upper now.  If some time later you can buy some boutique upper and you still think you have to have it, you can swap out the Anderson and probably get most of what you paid for it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#32]
BCM blem
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It will be going on a 80 lower that I finished with gunkote several years ago. It has the same ano finish as an Anderson upper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Aero uppers in stock at Optics Planet.

Aero upper complete w/ forward assist ($86)...

Aero upper complete w/no forward assist ($76)...

M4E1 Upper $114...

Hope this helps somebody out.

ETA:  Links are fucked.  Direct links:

Complete Upper W/Forward Assist: https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-apar501603a-ar15-upper-blk.html

Complete Upper W/No Forward Assist:  https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-precision-ar15-assembled-upper-receiver-no-forward-assist.html

M4E1 Upper Complete:  https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-precision-m4e1-threaded-assembled-upper-receiver.html

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top