Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd add in,

Brownells LMT CQB 10.5 upper deal for $630 with coupon, no you can't use your rail or upper but it's a pretty sweet monolithic setup and tough as nails.

Toolcraft nib 158c bcg $89 @ PSA. -I've got nearly 2k rounds through one with no issues under rough conditions, just know they don't stay pretty.

Raptor LT charging handle or the Brownells Vltor ambidextrous for $47

You're pushing $775ish (add salad days comment here)

MRP CQB 10.5" on Steel @ 600yds

MRP CQB 10.5" on Steel @ 773yds
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably not relevant ...

Today I fired my first 180 rounds thru a Colt 6933 upper that was delivered via UPS last night.  Mounted it on my pistol lower. Zero’d easily at 50yds and printed tight groups.

Ran a few simple drills and had a Wolf Classic case get so stuck in the chamber I trashed a sectional cleaning rod hammering it out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty settled now on the DD 10.3" barrel, Geissele Mk14 rail, Geissele Airborne CH, LaRue MBT trigger, and probably a regular BCG from PSA. Only thing I need to figure out now is iron sights.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty settled now on the DD 10.3" barrel, Geissele Mk14 rail, Geissele Airborne CH, LaRue MBT trigger, and probably a regular BCG from PSA. Only thing I need to figure out now is iron sights.
View Quote
kac sights.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds a lot like my current 10.3 setup. Still needing to pick up the Geissele charging handle but using a gas buster for the time being instead.

I put an LMT Enhanced BCG in mine, wanted the tad longer unlock time and bolt that should be a bit stronger than standard Milspec.

Link Posted: 10/18/2018 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds a lot like my current 10.3 setup. Still needing to pick up the Geissele charging handle but using a gas buster for the time being instead.

I put an LMT Enhanced BCG in mine, wanted the tad longer unlock time and bolt that should be a bit stronger than standard Milspec.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/268530/rifle1-631919.jpg
View Quote
Digging that A1 grip
20181010_105800-1 by B A, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/268530/rifle1-631919.jpg
Digging that A1 grip
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1958/31538519848_0f4a6ab901_k.jpg20181010_105800-1 by B A, on Flickr
A1 grip is best grip.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A1 grip is best grip.
View Quote
+1

I wish someone would start making them again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1

I wish someone would start making them again.
View Quote
BROWNELL'S

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/ar-15-retro-pistol-grip-prod109338.aspx
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
S W E E T

Thanks!
View All Quotes
I run one of the Brownells A1s on my CQBR and like it quite a bit; just be aware it isn't as fat as some genuine A1s. I guess Brownells copied one of the skinnier style A1s, like on a Colt 602. Not an expert on the various A1 grips, but I have seen genuine A1s that are very similar (minus some purposeful alterations Brownells made so it can't be passed off as genuine). Overall, if you like A1 grips and don't mind it being slightly skinnier, it's a nice option.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Wanted to resurrect this thread for another question pertaining to my go-to rifle rather than start a new one.

Optics:

I have always had Aimpoint red dots. First M2s and now a T1. I absolutely love the T1. But lately I've been seeing the EOTech XPS2 and XPS3 and really like how they look. I've been thinking about picking one up, but I'm on the fence about using it on this carbine. Are there any real advantages to using the newer EO's over the T1 other than wider FOV? I know the T1 wins in battery life, but I like the idea of the small dot and ring on the EO. What say the hive?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Inferior?
I have become a fan of QPQ/ Nitride although I also find chrome lined to be an excellent barrel finish as well. Either will last a lifetime so either is acceptable really.
The benefits of Nitride are=
Nitride is a process that hardens and makes corrosion resistant the outer layer of steel rather than being a coating like chrome. Since Nitride does not change the dimension of the steel like a coating it does not effect accuracy like a chrome lining.
Nitride can be done to existing barrels and stainless barrels unlike chrome lined.
Nitride protects the entire barrel inside and out unlike chrome lining. Chrome lining requires another finish on the exterior of the barrel.
Nitride is as hard as chrome but is much thicker.  Chrome lining is approx. .0005'' and M249 is around .001''. Nitride is approx. .01-.024''. Even M249 chrome lining is less than a tenth as thick as Nitride.
Nitride is more corrosion resistant than chrome and again protects the entire barrel.
Some will say that chrome degrades slower than Nitride in extreme heat from sustained full auto but I have seen no evidence to this. The only side by side testing I know of in sustained full auto showed Nitride to last better. If chrome does indeed degrade slower in extreme heat, it is a temperature that is not attainable in a semi auto weapon anyway. Only hundreds of rounds in sustained full auto can produce temperatures high enough for it to even become relevant. Again, the benefit of one over the other in extreme heat from full auto is unproven either way at this point.
This is why a chrome lined/ parked barrel finish is inferior to QPQ. Chrome lining/ Parkerizing is also more time consuming than Nitriding so the barrel cost is greater. The cost of chrome lining being higher is why I assume some still prefer it, assuming it is a higher quality barrel finish. In reality, a Nitride barrel will last longer, be more accurate, more corrosion resistant and cost less than than an identical chrome lined barrel. Manufacturers wanting to sell higher priced barrels and consumers assuming higher cost equals higher quality is the only reason chrome is still used, IMO.
View Quote
Written like a marketing puff piece for nitride, but wrong on several counts. The most important being chrome lasts longer due to its resistance of flame temperature (not sustained full auto) which causes throat erosion. Look it up. Lots of info including military tests.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why do you want an inferior chrome lined/ Parked barrel finish when QPQ Nitride is not only less expensive but superior in all ways?
View Quote
QPQ (when properly done, and many manufacturers DON'T do it properly) is cheaper and easier than chrome lining and provides a similar wear resistance, it's not superior.

Or maybe Daniel Defense, Colt, and FN just haven't gotten the memo yet.

@BigBore has posted previously about some nitride barrels being extremely difficult to machine, and others being just as easy as bare steel (meaning the nitride was basically a different color for the metal, and provided ZERO wear resistance).

Faxon makes fantastic barrels, that's not something that's even close to being contested.  I have a couple and love em.  But my "inferior" chrome-lined/phosphated colt and DD barrels are more accurate with the same bulk 55 and 62 grain ammo (since we're going for a SHTF type build).  The faxons shoot great don't get me wrong.  The "inferior" stuff shoots better though.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wanted to resurrect this thread for another question pertaining to my go-to rifle rather than start a new one.

Optics:

I have always had Aimpoint red dots. First M2s and now a T1. I absolutely love the T1. But lately I've been seeing the EOTech XPS2 and XPS3 and really like how they look. I've been thinking about picking one up, but I'm on the fence about using it on this carbine. Are there any real advantages to using the newer EO's over the T1 other than wider FOV? I know the T1 wins in battery life, but I like the idea of the small dot and ring on the EO. What say the hive?
View Quote
Oooooh, can o' worms right there.  The fanbois for/against each will be along shortly.  

I don't have any Aimpoints personally, but I've used more than my fair share hither and yon.  I have an older SOF trade-in 553 that I got cause it was cheap and clone correct.    I haven't experienced the ghosting issues others have complained about (and which prompted the massive buyback from L3).  A lot of people got all pissed off about it when they didn't even have any issues on their own personal sights...they just wanted to jump ship cause it was what all the cool hipster kids were doing.  Those bitches probably all wear flannel anyway.  

If I were closer I'd bring my 553 to you so you could see what's what, and give it a go side-by-side with a Strikefire (not an aimpoint, but fairly close in design).  Aimpoints are great for both-eyes-open kinda stuff, the eotech *DOES* give me quicker target acquisition though if I'm honest.

As I age, though, I'm moving more into magnified (even if it's just a 1-4x) optics for essentially everything AR, blackpowder, and bolt-action flavored in the safe.  My AKs, SKSs (ess kay esses?) and 1851 Springfield will retain irons though.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Written like a marketing puff piece for nitride, but wrong on several counts. The most important being chrome lasts longer due to its resistance of flame temperature (not sustained full auto) which causes throat erosion. Look it up. Lots of info including military tests.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inferior?
I have become a fan of QPQ/ Nitride although I also find chrome lined to be an excellent barrel finish as well. Either will last a lifetime so either is acceptable really.
The benefits of Nitride are=
Nitride is a process that hardens and makes corrosion resistant the outer layer of steel rather than being a coating like chrome. Since Nitride does not change the dimension of the steel like a coating it does not effect accuracy like a chrome lining.
Nitride can be done to existing barrels and stainless barrels unlike chrome lined.
Nitride protects the entire barrel inside and out unlike chrome lining. Chrome lining requires another finish on the exterior of the barrel.
Nitride is as hard as chrome but is much thicker.  Chrome lining is approx. .0005'' and M249 is around .001''. Nitride is approx. .01-.024''. Even M249 chrome lining is less than a tenth as thick as Nitride.
Nitride is more corrosion resistant than chrome and again protects the entire barrel.
Some will say that chrome degrades slower than Nitride in extreme heat from sustained full auto but I have seen no evidence to this. The only side by side testing I know of in sustained full auto showed Nitride to last better. If chrome does indeed degrade slower in extreme heat, it is a temperature that is not attainable in a semi auto weapon anyway. Only hundreds of rounds in sustained full auto can produce temperatures high enough for it to even become relevant. Again, the benefit of one over the other in extreme heat from full auto is unproven either way at this point.
This is why a chrome lined/ parked barrel finish is inferior to QPQ. Chrome lining/ Parkerizing is also more time consuming than Nitriding so the barrel cost is greater. The cost of chrome lining being higher is why I assume some still prefer it, assuming it is a higher quality barrel finish. In reality, a Nitride barrel will last longer, be more accurate, more corrosion resistant and cost less than than an identical chrome lined barrel. Manufacturers wanting to sell higher priced barrels and consumers assuming higher cost equals higher quality is the only reason chrome is still used, IMO.
Throat erosion is where barrels usually wear out, yes. Chrome lasts longer, no. I have looked into it thoroughly.
Chrome and nitride (no matter the steel) both have an annealing/melting point that is far less than the temperatures produced at the throat of a rifle barrel. Chrome has a higher annealing point than nitride on 4150 steel but nitride is also much thicker. Nitride will have a longer bore life but I would agree that both suffer from throat erosion. Which one will last long term before throat erosion ruins a barrel is debatable without extensive testing, I'll give you that.
As far as testing throat erosion in sustained full auto or long term semi auto, neither has been done with much effort, especially modern QPQ.
Modern day QPQ and chrome lining are both excellent in terms of wear resistance. Neither is going to withstand throat erosion past a certain point, we are talking temperatures similar to the Sun that are produced. I would like to see someone with enough resources do extensive unbiased side by side testing.
I am no marketing puff for nitride but I do believe in spreading real information rather than just repeating information . I see a constant stream of ''chrome lined is the only barrel to handle mag dumps'' ''chrome is what the military uses because it's better'' ''chrome costs more because it's better''.  Repeating false information a bunch of times does not make it true, only silly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oooooh, can o' worms right there.  The fanbois for/against each will be along shortly.  

I don't have any Aimpoints personally, but I've used more than my fair share hither and yon.  I have an older SOF trade-in 553 that I got cause it was cheap and clone correct.    I haven't experienced the ghosting issues others have complained about (and which prompted the massive buyback from L3).  A lot of people got all pissed off about it when they didn't even have any issues on their own personal sights...they just wanted to jump ship cause it was what all the cool hipster kids were doing.  Those bitches probably all wear flannel anyway.  

If I were closer I'd bring my 553 to you so you could see what's what, and give it a go side-by-side with a Strikefire (not an aimpoint, but fairly close in design).  Aimpoints are great for both-eyes-open kinda stuff, the eotech *DOES* give me quicker target acquisition though if I'm honest.

As I age, though, I'm moving more into magnified (even if it's just a 1-4x) optics for essentially everything AR, blackpowder, and bolt-action flavored in the safe.  My AKs, SKSs (ess kay esses?) and 1851 Springfield will retain irons though.  
View Quote
Thanks for the info! I was actually issued one of the SOF 553s at one point (along with an Elcan...which is why I don't own an Elcan ) and it was good at first..until it started dying and losing zero. However, I attribute that to the fact that our M4A1s were thrown into tough boxes between range trips . I guess I want to make sure that the new XPS sights will be robust enough and see if they are worth it vs an Aimpoint. I do like the reticle and larger window of the EOTech. But I like the battery life of the Aimpoint...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top