Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2022 5:24:37 PM EDT
I was about to pull the trigger on a Slip2000 order for the July 4th sale. Was going to get a gallon of the 725 cleaner/degreaser and some more spray/lube bottles. I thought I'd see what else is out there that everyone is using before I pull the trigger to see if there anything "better" going now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I buy the lowest priced mineral spirits I can find. I scrub the parts in mineral spirits, then dip them in a mixture of about 75% mineral spirits and 25% Mobile One motor oil. I let them dry. They come out clean with a nice even film of oil on them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Slip 2000, 725 Gun Cleaner/Degreaser?  This one is a 'no-brainer'.  You're talking about real good stuff!  I have a bottle of it sitting, here, on my desk as I type.  Personally I like Slip 2000 gun cleaning products better than I like Break-Free CLP (Which I also use.)  Just remember that after cleaning with 725 you'll still need to lubricate your gun(s) with something else like Slip 2000, EWL lubricant.  (I've got EWL 30 sitting on my desk right now, too!)  

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on mineral spirits, only I splurge, and buy the low odor stuff.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it’s just water based degreaser.  

Simple Green or engine degreaser from an auto parts store would probably be as good or better.  

After seeing some 4 ball wear scar testing on their lubes I don’t have any faith in any of their products anymore.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Slip 2000, 725 Gun Cleaner/Degreaser?  This one is a 'no-brainer'.  You're talking about real good stuff!  I have a bottle of it sitting, here, on my desk as I type.  Personally I like Slip 2000 gun cleaning products better than I like Break-Free CLP (Which I also use.)  Just remember that after cleaning with 725 you'll still need to lubricate your gun(s) with something else like Slip 2000, EWL lubricant.  (I've got EWL 30 sitting on my desk right now, too!)  

View Quote
Oh yeah I got tons of the lube. Even got the big green bottle of carbon killer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The 725 is good stuff.  Last I used it, it works great but it will strip everything off and give you a bare part void of any oil so make sure at treat appropriately.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner followed by Mobil 1 10-30 for me on my AR's & G17. Hoppes & synthetic grease on my M1a.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#8]
From another thread here:
Quoted:
Mobil 1, when tested to ASTM D4172 yields a wear scar approximately 18% larger than G96 and Breakfree, and a good deal worse than Royal CLP.  Further, Mobil 1 does not pass the humidity corrosion test.
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top