User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2022 1:47:30 PM EDT

For those of you who own a KS47 it's obvious what a nose heavy
pig these rifles are.
Years ago I had tried building my own 7.62x39 AR15. I bought
quality parts including a YHM Nitride barrel, Fail Zero bolt and extendo firing pin.
The only let down were the ASC magazines that would bind up and fail
no matter what i did.

So I pulled the YHM barrel out of storage and swapped it with the PSA barrel.

Handles better, looks better and functions well with the KS45 BCG. (Feeds and extracts)

I can't wait to actually shoot it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, you got me.  I ordered a KS-47 lower.  I'm going to strip the Faxon 16" gunner barrel of a upper and put it on a PSA upper.  The PSA stripped upper is out of stock, but the bolt carrier and lower was in stock.  I figured buying the lower puts me in the game and I'm immune from price increases or bans.  Got a picture of the inside of your upper receiver?  I wonder how hard it is to machine out a upper to fit?

I have always liked the 7.62x39mm AR and absolutely loved the Knight's prototype they build 20 years ago.  CMMG mutants have always been just a tad higher than I wanted to pay.  When the Colts were around, the weird mags always turned me off.  The $199 PSA lower ($275 after shipping, taxes, FFL transfer), is a good starting point.  I actually bid on several CCMG Mutants on gunbroker and always missed out by just enough to not make me sad.  I finally built a couple of 7.62x39mm AR uppers and got some Duramags for it.    But your picture/post got me to stop waiting and get a lower.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, you got me.  I ordered a KS-47 lower.  I'm going to strip the Faxon 16" gunner barrel of a upper and put it on a PSA upper.  The PSA stripped upper is out of stock, but the bolt carrier and lower was in stock.  I figured buying the lower puts me in the game and I'm immune from price increases or bans.  Got a picture of the inside of your upper receiver?  I wonder how hard it is to machine out a upper to fit?

I have always liked the 7.62x39mm AR and absolutely loved the Knight's prototype they build 20 years ago.  CMMG mutants have always been just a tad higher than I wanted to pay.  When the Colts were around, the weird mags always turned me off.  The $199 PSA lower ($275 after shipping, taxes, FFL transfer), is a good starting point.  I actually bid on several CCMG Mutants on gunbroker and always missed out by just enough to not make me sad.  I finally built a couple of 7.62x39mm AR uppers and got some Duramags for it.    But you picture/post got me to stop waiting and get a lower.
View Quote
You can't machine out a STD upper to work.  It's not wide enough, and if you tried the wall thickness would be real real thin.  Reminds me I need to strip the uppers off of the complete uppers I have.  I bought the KS-47 upper because it was the cheapest way for me to finish my BRS-47 builds.  Kinda thinking about reusing one of the upper receivers to build it in 5.56 and use Polish/Romanian 5.56 AK mags with it...just to make heads explode and watch the world burn.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I do have a couple of billet uppers that are pretty chubby and has lots of meat on it.  One is a side charger from Bear Creek, which isn't all that bad.  I do worry about the bolt though as you always read about 7.62x39mm AR bolt failures.  It was cheap enough that I can buy a replacement bolt.  

But it'll probably be the same cost to have the billet uppers milled it out as to buy a dedicated upper.  I might buy one and see what the difference is.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#5]
That’s really sweet

So a std 762x39 barrel extension works with the ks47 bolt? I thought the ks47 bolt was proprietary.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's really sweet

So a std 762x39 barrel extension works with the ks47 bolt? I thought the ks47 bolt was proprietary.
View Quote
The bolt carrier is modified/cut to work with the AK mags.  I can't remember off the top of my head if a bolt lug is thinned for clearance or not. I grabbed spares x39 bolts just in case and figure I can mod them if needs be.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The bolt carrier is modified/cut to work with the AK mags.  I can't remember off the top of my head if a bolt lug is thinned for clearance or not. I grabbed spares x39 bolts just in case and figure I can mod them if needs be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's really sweet

The lugs are modified for clearance of AK mags on the bolt as well, so I am surprised that it worked with another barrel.

I think we need an expert to chime in.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally...Posted...By...SCR55...:
The...lugs...are...modified...for...clearance...of...AK...mags...on...the...bolt...as...well,...so...I...am...surprised...that...it...worked...with...another...barrel.
View Quote

That...is...NOT...correct.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Josiah posted this on the PSA forum concerning building a KS47 upper:

"The barrel is not proprietary. It is the barrel extension. I just found that out today!"

https://palmettostatearmory.com/forum/t/ks-47-barrel/535/14
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I...just...put...a...7.......x39...upper...together...for...a...friend...that...is...new...to...guns.
I...started...him...out...with...the...C-Products...mags...for...now...and...if...he...gets...into...it...heavy...later,...he...can...switch...to...a...KS47...or...MGI...lower...like...I'm...using.
I...used...a...PSA...KS47...BCG...but...PSA...was...out...of...barrels...and...used...a...Midway...7.......x39...and...they...are...using...extensions...similar...to...PSA...now...with...a...bug...single...feed...ramp.......
It...all...ran...100%.......Didn't...mod...anything.

Don't...ask...me...why...my...posts...keep...adding...so...many...periods. ...I...have...no...idea.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't...ask...me...why...my...posts...keep...adding...so...many...periods. ...I...have...no...idea.
View Quote

It is kinda funny, though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Josiah posted this on the PSA forum concerning building a KS47 upper:

"The barrel is not proprietary. It is the barrel extension. I just found that out today!"

https://palmettostatearmory.com/forum/t/ks-47-barrel/535/14
View Quote

The KS47 barrel extension is unique. Its got one big feed ramp thats more like a trough, rather than the typical two feed ramps, to help with feeding. Standard barrels will still work though. I'm have a BCA barrel on my build.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The KS47 barrel extension is unique. Its got one big feed ramp thats more like a trough, rather than the typical two feed ramps, to help with feeding. Standard barrels will still work though. I'm have a BCA barrel on my build.
View Quote
Not unique...as I posted above Midway USA does the same thing with their 762x39 extensions as have others over the years
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top