Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2021 4:33:00 PM EDT
I found a box of Gen 1's and they're all unused.

Is there any significant issue with these or should they be viewed as GTG?

I have a bunch of later Gen Pmags among others and though I don't really "need" these Gen 1's, if they're solid mags I'll probably just keep'em. If they're problematic for some reason, they may be better as a barter/trade commodity.

Any thoughts on these?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Just read that Gen 1's apparently had some lots with bad mag bodies, that we able to be replaced by Magpul?

I don't remember it personally but seems to have been a thing several years ago.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
M3's for the win. You could probably sell your Gen 1's to somebody who thinks they are collectable for more than a new one costs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Purchase surefire/ok mags for reliability.
Edit: Never had any problems with Pmags, gtg.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If they are unused, why wouldn’t they be good to go?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just read that Gen 1's apparently had some lots with bad mag bodies, that we able to be replaced by Magpul?
View Quote

I don't recall that specifically, but by their nature, Gen 1s are going to be weaker and more prone to breaking because of the older design and the older polymer formula. However, I wouldn't say that makes them weak, just not as durable as M2 and M3 PMAGs. I personally use my old Gen 1s as range/training mags and will continue to use them that way until they fail. For duty or defensive use, I stick with M3s. If a Gen 1 mag fails, I would contact Magpul and see if they offer to replace it.

This guy obviously thinks Gen 1s are still good to go.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Magpul largely built their reputation on Gen 1's, so there's that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been using the same dozen or so gen 1 pmags for training since 2008ish.  I've broken only 1.  I would say that I am harder on mags than the average shooter.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top