Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mine must be broken. It’s been dropped and no bent rail.
View Quote
But how do you actually know? Did you take measurements before and after? Some of these bends weren't noticeable just on a quick visual.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
But how do you actually know? Did you take measurements before and after? Some of these bends weren't noticeable just on a quick visual.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine must be broken. It’s been dropped and no bent rail.
No poi shift. That’s a decent indicator.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No need to wait for Bill.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m sure Bill will be around any minute to clear up any confusion regarding the URG-I durability or when it’s going to be adopted by USASOC. If not soon, definitely after the holidays.
No need to wait for Bill.

Quoted:
Posted on CRA clone group

Looks like urgi’s are being issued. Armorer posted these, replacing with the mk16 kits
https://i.imgur.com/asEgBGJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/L6znOGS.jpg
any new images out of the completed builds. sure would like to see them
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
With a rail mounted laser or your LPVO...?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

got my upper don't see what all the fuss is about it is a quality piece of equipment and dam nice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

got my upper don't see what all the fuss is about it is a quality piece of equipment and dam nice.
View Quote
The fuss would be about..bending a rail from a relatively mild drop, throwing off the zero of an aiming device (laser, optic etc.) that you might be betting your life on to be accurate. Combine this with the spare parts bin build appearence of the mix match finish and the top dollar price tag and you end up with an upper that isnt very appealing compared to competitive options.

Lets not forget how geiselle sued the individual Marine who broke the news of the bendy rails..thats just dirty.

Its not a coincidence PSA is blowing out geiselle rail equipped uppers for bargain basement pricing lately.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Appearances aren't everything.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The fuss would be about..bending a rail from a relatively mild drop, throwing off the zero of an aiming device (laser, optic etc.) that you might be betting your life on to be accurate. Combine this with the spare parts bin build appearence of the mix match finish and the top dollar price tag and you end up with an upper that isnt very appealing compared to competitive options.

Lets not forget how geiselle sued the individual Marine who broke the news of the bendy rails..thats just dirty.

Its not a coincidence PSA is blowing out geiselle rail equipped uppers for bargain basement pricing lately.
View Quote
People all over this site are using BCM, SLR, MI, Aero, etc rails that would likely bend and deflect easier then the Geissele, so you're basically shitting on all their builds and saying they couldn't "trust their life" to them. Also, plenty of guys have awesome guns on here with rails that are different colors than receivers, so I don't get your criticism there. The military runs black receivers with brown or tan rails too. And I think someone already corrected you earlier that the lawsuit was about a non-disclosure agreement not related to railgate. I don't care one way or another about Geissles business future, but it seems like you're really tryin hard here.

Forgot to add some other guys here have dropped that rail without a MAWL, and one guy ran over his with a 4 wheeler and it was fine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
People all over this site are using BCM, SLR, MI, Aero, etc rails that would likely bend and deflect easier then the Geissele, so you're basically shitting on all their builds and saying they couldn't "trust their life" to them. Also, plenty of guys have awesome guns on here with rails that are different colors than receivers, so I don't get your criticism there. The military runs black receivers with brown or tan rails too. And I think someone already corrected you earlier that the lawsuit was about a non-disclosure agreement not related to railgate. I don't care one way or another about Geissles business future, but it seems like you're really tryin hard here.

Forgot to add some other guys here have dropped that rail without a MAWL, and one guy ran over his with a 4 wheeler and it was fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine was ran over by mistake and it didn't even affect the zero, however I didn't have a IR laser on it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the member testing I quoted the only real option for running IR is KAC.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't want to get any ar15 heavily caked in mud or sand anyway it will def have cycle problems So don't drop it. Duh! You should have a backup anyway. It was designed as thin as possible for weight reduction i would bet so you have to take that into consideration. Do you own one? Don't knock it before you try it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah.  Not quite.  I think you got your facts confused on this point.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right my upper is already scratched to hell and spray painted gave it a few ruff throws
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Despite what the fanboys think, Giselle rails aren't any better than most of the ones you just mentioned. I'll take SLR all day.  The fascination with the urgi amuses me.  Paying double for something that you can put together with better quality parts yourself makes little sense.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Despite what the fanboys think, Giselle rails aren't any better than most of the ones you just mentioned. I'll take SLR all day.  The fascination with the urgi amuses me.  Paying double for something that you can put together with better quality parts yourself makes little sense.
View Quote
Don't forget your $300 4 prong Flash hider.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was the one who started that whole thread and i have a mk8 with a mawl on it. When dropped at 5 feet on the mawl side ut was fine
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't forget your $300 4 prong Flash hider.....
View Quote
Isn't that absurd?   I like Giselle stuff, so I'm not trying to disparage their products but theres other stuff just as good out there. I am pretty fond of their mk13 rail though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better quality parts? Do tell so i can upgrade my upper. Could you maybe list a few parts that are a upgrade on the urgi
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Better quality parts? Do tell so i can upgrade my upper. Could you maybe list a few parts that are a upgrade on the urgi
View Quote
Young machine NM bolt carrier, LMT enhanced or JP bolt, a flash hider or suppressor mount that doesn't cost 400, an aero precision M4-e1 upper and rail system, etc.  Could build it on a monolithic upper if you wanted for that price.  Go ahead and tell me what's so magical about the urgi?  It's a collection of quality parts, nothing special.  Do it yourself for half the cost, and fit it to your needs perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Young machine NM bolt carrier group, a flash hider or suppressor mount that doesn't cost 400, the exact rail you want, etc.  Go ahead and tell me what's so magical about the urgi?  It's a collection of quality parts, nothing special.  Do it yourself for half the cost, and fit it to your needs perfectly.
View Quote
I think you are missing the point and the buzz around these.

People paid a premium due to being told they would be fielded by USASOC, making the civvy built guns a clone. The flash hider costs so much because outside of the URG-I, it was never available to the civilian market. I could be wrong but I think supply and demand plays a large part in the cost of just about everything in life...

Is it worth the cost? I think that depends on who you ask.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

People paid a premium due to being told they would be fielded by USASOC, making the civvy built guns a clone. The flash hider costs so much because outside of the URG-I, it was never available to the civilian market. I could be wrong but I think supply and demand plays a large part in the cost of just about everything in life...

View Quote
You're absolutely correct about that.  I wasn't trying to imply it's a bad product by any means.  Theres nothing particularly exceptional about them is my only point.  I'm a big proponent of building your own, but I also understand not everyone has the means to do so, or need a factory setup for duty use.  Value is certainly subjective.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You're absolutely correct about that.  I wasn't trying to imply it's a bad product by any means.  Theres nothing particularly exceptional about them is my only point.  I'm a big proponent of building your own, but I also understand not everyone has the means to do so, or need a factory setup for duty use.  Value is certainly subjective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind that the handguard is only available second hand or as a complete upper through Geissele as well.

Some also prefer having a warranty on their rifle/upper as things can/do go wrong and it's nice to know someone has your back to take care of it.

I love piecing together my own but I do have a few factory rifles/uppers as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Keep in mind that the handguard is only available second hand or as a complete upper through Geissele as well.

Some also prefer having a warranty on their rifle/upper as things can/do go wrong and it's nice to know someone has your back to take care of it.

I love piecing together my own but I do have a few factory rifles/uppers as well.
View Quote
Very true.  I don't know the ins and outs of all the different G rails.  I like the continuous top rail with short sections at 3, 6, and nine like the MK13.  That and the SLR solo series are my favorite rails.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't worry, Bill said he would update us on the bent ben MK16 rail issue 10days or so after the holidays. LOL.... His lack of a response tells us everything. The fact that he has not said one work about the bent MK16 rail issues says everything. I think Bill/Geissel has lost alot of respect on these forums over his handling of this issue and until they step forward on this issue, they have lost my business. If he cannot says anything due to some contractual issue, then say it. Just don't say anything and ignore the issue in the hopes it goes away.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't worry, Bill said he would update us on the bent ben MK16 rail issue 10days or so after the holidays. LOL.... His lack of a response tells us everything. The fact that he has not said one work about the bent MK16 rail issues says everything. I think Bill/Geissel has lost alot of respect on these forums over his handling of this issue and until they step forward on this issue, they have lost my business. If he cannot says anything due to some contractual issue, then say it. Just don't say anything and ignore the issue in the hopes it goes away.
View Quote
Whatever shall he do without your riches?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#26]
What the hell does the flash hider have to do with anything,  it not even a geissele product
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
He did make a statement about it. He said that they designed the rail based on the military's requested specs and the MK16 was the result. They wanted a lightweight rail with Mlok all around it. He also said he would take care of anybody that had a problem with the rail. What did you want- for him to redesign the rail for you?(which would then not meet the military's desired specs). Maybe the military should have spec'd a beefier rail, or just purchased MK8s LOL
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#28]
And Geissele accommodated all the cloners by offering an option with a Colt upper, Surefire 4 prong etc. and all people do is whine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And Geissele accommodated all the cloners by offering an option with a Colt upper, Surefire 4 prong etc. and all people do is whine.
View Quote
I forgot about that. Originally it was just a generic upper and bcg and the 3 prong. That was probably a pain in the dick to get all those other parts sourced and offer like 4 different versions of the upper as well LOL
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Wish LaRue made a 10.5" barrel and UU kit to compete with the URG-I.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He did make a statement about it. He said that they designed the rail based on the military's requested specs and the MK16 was the result. They wanted a lightweight rail with Mlok all around it. He also said he would take care of anybody that had a problem with the rail. What did you want- for him to redesign the rail for you?(which would then not meet the military's desired specs). Maybe the military should have spec'd a beefier rail, or just purchased MK8s LOL
View Quote
Really?? Bill was deflecting...

You really think the military usasoc units wanted a fragile rail given their nature of work?
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Really?? Bill was deflecting...

You really think the military usasoc units wanted a fragile rail given their nature of work?
View Quote
It’s literally what they spec’d out
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I can see both sides of the argument , i understand thats what usasoc requested and i understand people being pissed a rail put out by G is bending during a drop test. What i dont understand is a company which seem to have very high standards wouldnt do more r&d on the mk16 . The first G rail i bought was the mk8 aftering seeing G toss it all over a loading dock. I assumed im guessing like many others that the same time had been spent on the mk16. To me it seems G may have rushed this one out to get the govt contract. The quote people keeping throwing up about G saying we just made what usasoc asked for , you guys are leaving out the part wherd bill said of all the rails he thinks the mk2 was there finest rail , a rail they dont even offer any more is the rail bill suggests to me is very odd , and i know shit happens and not everyone is perfect but the way G closed ranks as soon as the shit hit the fan is very suspect to put it lightly. Also to all the guys saying dont worry G will replace it if there any problems, G sent emails to the guys that did the drop test telling them there rails would not be replaced for any more drop tests. All that being said i still like there triggers and my 10.3 urgi is holding up fine but after all this ill being waiting a while before i buy any of G's new gear until its been out for while in general ive lost trust in the company
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:31:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Well i had a whole thread about how my 10.3 upper wouldn't cycle and all the issues I had...got a full refund. It was a disaster to say the least.

I still run a Geissele SSP and Mk8 though. Work great.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#35]
And Geissele shouldn't have to replace rails that are intentionally damaged.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Mk4 master race
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wish LaRue made a 10.5" barrel and UU kit to compete with the URG-I.
View Quote
I would probably only buy 10 of them
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What i dont understand is a company which seem to have very high standards wouldnt do more r&d
View Quote
Thats not how this works. When the government puts out a contract which says "We want exactly X, in such a quantity on such a schedule.", if you do a bunch of R&D at your own expense and develop a better product, you have failed to meet the terms of the contract. Sometimes the government wants what it wants; right, wrong, or indifferent. It may ask for a product which is not super durable; if that is the case, it is not the fault of the producer for meeting the requested spec.

As others have pointed out over and over, you shouldn't buy a long, lightweight freefloat rail if durability and repeatability are your main goals. The market is flooded with heavy, durable rails. If you want to drop your expensive laser on concrete and have it retain your zero, buy a heavy rail.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Mk4 master race
View Quote
Also, this.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thats not how this works. When the government puts out a contract which says "We want exactly X, in such a quantity on such a schedule.", if you do a bunch of R&D at your own expense and develop a better product, you have failed to meet the terms of the contract. Sometimes the government wants what it wants; right, wrong, or indifferent. It may ask for a product which is not super durable; if that is the case, it is not the fault of the producer for meeting the requested spec.

As others have pointed out over and over, you shouldn't buy a long, lightweight freefloat rail if durability and repeatability are your main goals. The market is flooded with heavy, durable rails. If you want to drop your expensive laser on concrete and have it retain your zero, buy a heavy rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What i dont understand is a company which seem to have very high standards wouldnt do more r&d

Very well said. Im loving my lightweight rail
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#41]
To me, the most significant improvement is in the DD CHF mid length barrel. Everything else is just how you dress up the Barbie doll
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#42]
I’d buy the 10.3 on sale at brownells with a 10  % off code and the AJ discount.

No reason to pay full boat retail on that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top