User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an update on my 14.5 urgi upper receiver group. I bought it new during a Memorial Day sale, when I took it to the range it functioned fine, was properly gassed, but it ran out of windage when I attempted to zero the backup iron sights. I noticed that it took a lot of windage on my Vortex razor 1-6 to get it properly zeroed. Accuracy seemed a little disappointing, but the inability to zero the upper was my biggest concern.

It took about a month, but I got the upper back today. Just came back from my range at home, I am very pleased. The Geissele Tech who was emailing me explained that they replaced the barrel, test-fired, backup irons were only two clicks off of completely centered windage at 100 yards after the fix. He said they also shot some very good groups at 100 yards using 77 grain ammo

I confirmed both today. Accuracy with IMI m193 was pretty typical, none of my rifles shoot less than 2 MOA 5-10 shot groups with that stuff.  However, both 5 round groups I shot with 77 SMK hand loads (23.3 grains of IMR 8208) were close to 1 moa, including one that had four shots into 0.5".  Ejection was perfect, very small pile of brass at approximately 3:30

I feel like Geissele went above and beyond because they actually replaced the entire upper receiver group, including the bolt carrier assembly, charging handle,  everything.  The new mk16 rail is a nicer color brown, the other one was a little more gold. I'm not sure if it was just quicker for them to replace the entire upper, but I was happily surprised they did it.

I know Geissele is getting shit on a lot in this thread, I own a lot of their triggers and some other things, this is the first issue I've ever had with any of their products.  They fixed it, I am happy. Just my two cents on the whole thing

Nudes
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geissele is pretty active on the forum, but haven't seen them comment to any of these issues.
View Quote

I’d cut them some slack, sounds like they got a solid backlog going and plenty of trips to the test range based on the reports of stuff getting fixed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Geissele is pretty active on the forum, but haven't seen them comment to any of these issues.
View Quote

There have been a few responses from them in the specific threads…
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have an update on my 14.5 urgi upper receiver group. I bought it new during a Memorial Day sale, when I took it to the range it functioned fine, was properly gassed, but it ran out of windage when I attempted to zero the backup iron sights. I noticed that it took a lot of windage on my Vortex razor 1-6 to get it properly zeroed. Accuracy seemed a little disappointing, but the inability to zero the upper was my biggest concern.

It took about a month, but I got the upper back today. Just came back from my range at home, I am very pleased. The Geissele Tech who was emailing me explained that they replaced the barrel, test-fired, backup irons were only two clicks off of completely centered windage at 100 yards after the fix. He said they also shot some very good groups at 100 yards using 77 grain ammo

I confirmed both today. Accuracy with IMI m193 was pretty typical, none of my rifles shoot less than 2 MOA 5-10 shot groups with that stuff.  However, both 5 round groups I shot with 77 SMK hand loads (23.3 grains of IMR 8208) were close to 1 moa, including one that had four shots into 0.5".  Ejection was perfect, very small pile of brass at approximately 3:30

I feel like Geissele went above and beyond because they actually replaced the entire upper receiver group, including the bolt carrier assembly, charging handle,  everything.  The new mk16 rail is a nicer color brown, the other one was a little more gold. I'm not sure if it was just quicker for them to replace the entire upper, but I was happily surprised they did it.

I know Geissele is getting shit on a lot in this thread, I own a lot of their triggers and some other things, this is the first issue I've ever had with any of their products.  They fixed it, I am happy. Just my two cents on the whole thing

View Quote

Let me help you out with that photo.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I want to like Geissele. But they make it impossible.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
One day I hope to be at the pinnacle of my life, ARFCOM famous, so I will be able to post informative threads like these.

Hopefully by then, I will know that every manufacture can/does have issues at times that are corrected when addressed appropriately.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One day I hope to be at the pinnacle of my life, ARFCOM famous, so I will be able to post informative threads like these.

Hopefully by then, I will know that every manufacture can/does have issues at times that are corrected when addressed appropriately.
View Quote

A start would be by posting highly knowledgeable and detailed threads on a given subject. This tech after all.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cola bros gonna Cola bro
View Quote

Did Mark Laure send you over here from moderating his safe space?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One of the links in the OP was mine.

My problem was resolved with a replaced barrel. As a matter of fact is might be the best shooting 16" AR I own.

Geissele took good care of me and I will happily buy another complete rifle when funds permit.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109231/20220730_151542-2470950.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109231/20220730_151535-2470943.jpg
View Quote

Boom. OP's bias against G for ashy rail exposed.

There's nothing tech about OP's post.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
So this is what I had initially recieved and what was sent back to them in the same condition along with every effort to protect it during shipment.

This is what I recieved instead. I knew from the start that this was an assembly and a different replacement barrel and I was offfered a Mk14 for free to go along with it. While I'm very appreciative for that thought, I'm a bit taken aback by such callous packing in a frustrated way.

The initial package itself. Unopened but if you'll look to your left, you will see something poking out of it

Upon a closer look, there's also material stuck inside that exposed gas tube.

Notice that there's no extension rubber cap to protect that side and what appears to be a used barrel or blemished at best.

This is what was removed from the gas tube end that was protruding. I can't use it because I have no way of knowing if there's anything else possibly stuck inside of it . Thankfully I have spares of everything and will probably trash that tube I got.

Now for the barrel's threaded side, notice a lack of thread cap and what looks to be rust.

It passed the plunk test easily and had a spare Colt M16 BCG that fully closed on it using an AE .223 55 FMJ live round pointed at my clearing barrel.

I cleaned it all up and then replaced that tube after installing the nut to spec with my torque wrench without that tube in the way. Despite all of that, I am determined, and very stubborn but had a gut feeling to proceed after it passed the plunk. Truth be told I'm the type of person that when handed a lemon, I first kill that fucker by slicing it in half, and then drink it's damn soul but not before crushing it's insides first just to be sure it's dead-dead. But I've never gotten an assembly with the tube already installed in the block along with that barrel nut and I don't think I wanted to start doing it that way either

The weather looks like absolute crap from our monsoon season still hammering away at us so the function fire and groups fire for consistency will have to be for another day.

So for right now, this is what I've got.

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#11]
My 11.5 upper is out for delivery with UPS after going through an RMA. I got an email this morning from the same CS rep that I’d been talking to to get it back to them and he told me that they replaced the barrel.

ETA - looks pretty good. I’m traveling so only saw photos but it looks how I’d expect for a new upper. I doubt they did anything to the receiver itself because I swapped the FA for an FCD LDFA and it’s still there. I can’t really see brass marks on the shell deflector so if they test fired, it wasn’t many rounds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Great thread Molon.

Like you, my hope is Geissele learns from their mistakes and wipes the floor with their competition once they get shit sorted.

Go Team Mr. Bill!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Great thread Molon.

Like you, my hope is Geissele learns from their mistakes and wipes the floor with their competition once they get shit sorted.

Go Team Mr. Bill!
View Quote

If that were to happen, Bill should do a special T shirt run afterwards and have it say "Bill finally called and now I'm his B*tch" because I'd buy that without a second thought about it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If that were to happen, Bill should do a special T shirt run afterwards and have it say "Bill finally called and now I'm his B*tch" because I'd buy that without a second thought about it.
View Quote

You should definitely do that
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

That sounds good but you are pretty keen on only defending G from what I've seen...
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a sense of humor guy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Warped, at minimum.

Quoted:

> "Bill finally called and now I'm his B*tch"

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Non-technical.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top