BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Their barrels are garbage.  And I’m a Geissele fan.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
@GACS

The cat's out of the bag.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
In his defense:
Quoted:
We have had some barrels that came in too tight in the back part of the chamber.  We stopped barrel production while we worked to fix this issue permanently.  Anyone who has a problem we will take care of asap.  

Even though you worked on these ones we will still absolutely replace them for you.

-GACS
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Geissele-CHF-Barrel-Range-Report/12-774180/?page=1&anc=bottom#i8459228
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see the bendy rails on that list.

Bad barrels have put at least one company out of business.  Hopefully Geissele can take care of their customers and make things right.

Their SSA trigger is my favorite.  I'd hate to see those become unavailable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
G makes some really nice triggers and handguards. As they've relentlessly expanded horizontally and into other spaces it's pretty clear they've struggled.

Like not a soul on earth asked for a Geissele LPVO or Bayonet mount.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
G makes some really nice triggers and handguards. As they've relentlessly expanded horizontally and into other spaces it's pretty clear they've struggled.

View Quote

Scope mounts are great
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I noticed today that James Reeves isn't a fan
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Soft gas systems are an unnecessary risk.

But if you pay a premium price to flex on the poors, who cares that your rifle can’t cycle under 40 degrees.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bayo mount was and is still fun. Take it or leave it.

The scope was a complete mistake. Not because they procured production of one with their brand name on it, but because of it's absolutely shitty specs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We have had some barrels that came in too tight in the back part of the chamber.  We stopped barrel production while we worked to fix this issue permanently.
-GACS
View Quote

Yet geissele still went ahead and shipped defective barrels to retailers and paying customers.  And since the defective barrels that awayteamriker received functioned correctly after he used a neck and throat reamer on them, that shows that these barrels also probably have defects in the neck and/or throat area.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yet geissele still went ahead and shipped defective barrels to retailers and paying customers.  And since the defective barrels that awayteamriker received functioned correctly after he used a neck and throat reamer on them, that shows that these barrels also have defects in the neck and/or throat area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In his defense:
Quoted:
We have had some barrels that came in too tight in the back part of the chamber.  We stopped barrel production while we worked to fix this issue permanently.  Anyone who has a problem we will take care of asap.  
Even though you worked on these ones we will still absolutely replace them for you.
-GACS

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Geissele-CHF-Barrel-Range-Report/12-774180/?page=1&anc=bottom#i8459228

Yet geissele still went ahead and shipped defective barrels to retailers and paying customers.  And since the defective barrels that awayteamriker received functioned correctly after he used a neck and throat reamer on them, that shows that these barrels also have defects in the neck and/or throat area.

Completely agreed that they never should have made it out the door to begin with (que video of BCM trashing gas tubes). Was just trying to point out that Geissele's shown to be willing to rectify the mistakes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Completely agreed that they never should have made it out the door to begin with (que video of BCM trashing gas tubes). Was just trying to point out that Geissele's shown to be willing to rectify the mistakes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Just got my barrel back from Geissele RMA.  

Had no paperwork or anything letting me know what the issue was or what was done to the barrel for testing. Emailed them asking asking what the issue was when I got shipping notification and no answer back.

Bore looked like no rounds had been test fired through it.

Took it out the range for a test.... And exactly the same issues as before.

No bolt lockback on empty mag w/ M193 or M855 and basically any non-match, medium powered 223 either wouldn't eject at all or completely locked up the action.

DID NOT USE ANY STEEL.

Also used carbine buffer and regular mil spec buffer spring to be as light as possible on the action.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
My bad, didn't realize the pitchforks are in hand and torches are lit, carry on.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My bad, didn't realize the pitchforks are in hand and torches are lit, carry on.
View Quote

geissele "replaced" a defective barrel with yet another defective barrel.  That information, as well as all the other information about defective geissele barrels/uppers at the links in the original post of this thread, is from other posters.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m glad I got mine the first Black Friday after they started making complete rifles.  Yea, it took a few months to get, but it’s been perfect.

Did they get too big too fast?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info Molon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I wonder if Geissele has notified vendors, it looks like some sites have them currently for sale right now

ETA:

G homepage - CHF Barrels are the first roll slide in the banner queue

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m also surprised that a shot of nanocoating into the chamber might smooth things up a bit and take care of the issue

Super tiGht TM
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I noticed today that James Reeves isn't a fan
View Quote
Well if that clown isn't a fan...
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder how many similar threads could be made about other companies products…
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone else getting a chalky taste in their mouth?

I guess companies aren't allowed to make mistakes anymore.

Sounds like Geissele is taking care of this for people affected. When will OP update the post to help affected people, instead of just complaining about G like last time?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wonder how many similar threads could be made about other companies products…
View Quote

I know, this thread is hard, and not giving off a cozy vibe feeling…. But I don’t know of other weapon makers that are struggling with gas ports and chamber issues like G clearly is right now
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone else getting a chalky taste in their mouth?

I guess companies aren't allowed to make mistakes anymore.

Sounds like Geissele is taking care of this for people affected. When will OP update the post to help affected people, instead of just complaining about G like last time?
View Quote

Failing to QC a chamber on a number of barrels isn’t a mistake, it’s completely derelict for a reknown weapon maker

By taking care of it, you mean still selling defective shit (they’ve known since May), slinging out RMAs, and your shit sitting in PA for a month while they maybe send it back and don’t tell you [joke]how many steel wool spins on a dewalt it took to open up your chamber[/joke]?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Scope mounts are great
View Quote
Yep. I didn't try to make the list exhaustive. Look, they've clearly demonstrated they can make excellent kit. It's their blitz over the last 2-3 years to make *everything* AR-related that has clearly led to issues.

Shoot I mean Sig has let some stinkers out the door in their quest to conquer everything. And that's a company with bottomless pockets, engineers, etc. Horizontal diversification is not easy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Failing to QC a chamber on a number of barrels isn’t a mistake, it’s completely derelict for a reknown weapon maker

By taking care of it, you mean still selling defective shit (they’ve known since May), slinging out RMAs, and your shit sitting in PA for a month while they maybe send it back and don’t tell you how many steel wool spins on a dewalt it took to open up your chamber?
View Quote

Is this a fact or are you making shit up? Are they replacing barrels or not?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#27]
We should update "The Chart"
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I like G products. I built two rifles using all G parts, including the fancy BCG. That being said, their customer service is horrible and have a superiority complex when they have to fix flawed parts they sold. I got a maritime bolt catch that i bought new and was rusty, like bad. I sent them an email, they took over a week to reply back. They had me send pics, receipts and other stuff. They said they would send me label to send it  back, but they never did. I sent an email a week later and never got a response. I just spray painted it and used it because they had zero interest in replacing it.

If it was something I did wrong I understand, but I payed them money, received a rusty part, and they didn’t care. Compare that with a company like Midwest Industries or Centurion. It is a small issue in general, but just left a bad taste in my mouth. Now, if I had an issue with a $350 barrel and got the same treatment, I can understand why people are upset
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#29]
G is en route to “Jack of all trades,  Master of non“  status.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is this a fact or are you making shit up? Are they replacing barrels or not?
View Quote

The steel wool spins on a dewalt was a joke… I figured that was obvious.

I don’t believe they have commented on how they are fixing these barrels or port issues.  Couple of the threads OP allude to the RMA work not having any detail on what was fixed.

ETA: lot of good info in the OP links, pages of material detailing the issues.  

Better question for tonight is, what’s the over/under on how many Yeunglings deep is GACS right now?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Show me on the doll where he hurt you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Sample size of one, but I picked up a 10.3” factory URGI upper and so far it’s been flawless.  100% function suppressed and unsuppressed with an H2 buffer and standard carbine spring.  

What I will say is this has given me pause and I will likely hold off on buying any more uppers or barrels from them until this is resolved.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sample size of one, but I picked up a 10.3” factory URGI upper and so far it’s been flawless.  100% function suppressed and unsuppressed with an H2 buffer and standard carbine spring.  

What I will say is this has given me pause and I will likely hold off on buying any more uppers or barrels from them until this is resolved.  

View Quote

Between now and Monday my new Super Duty 11.5 assembly will arrive that was sent to replace the bum barrel I was sent. before. I'll give it the plunk test and if it passes I will report back and then assemble and do a live fire to verify.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#34]
sad, they should  just stick to making ALG rails again.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey OP, why didn't you include your chalky hand guard? lmao.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you say chalky? I love me some chalk!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:00:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you say chalky? I love me some chalk!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/24782/20220701_162712_jpg-2479001.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/24782/20220701_165038_jpg-2479002.JPG

I've got no issue with the chalky either. This thread is par for the course from OP.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So, threw the new barrel on an upper this weekend and went out for a test shoot to see how it grouped. After only a dozen  shots or so, I called it a day because not one round cycled correctly. They would eject, but the carrier would not pick up another one.

The ejection pattern was about 3 o'clock (H1 buffer) and consitent for every load in used. The lower and upper have been used before with zero hiccups. Shot 3 different types of ammo, including 75g Match grade Hornady, and full powered IMI M193 and M855.... And Nothing worked.

In fact, the final round didn't even eject. The bolt remained closed and I had to manually charge it to eject.

View Quote

Quoted:
Just got my barrel back from Geissele RMA.  Had no paperwork or anything letting me know what the issue was or what was done to the barrel for testing. Emailed them asking asking what the issue was when I got shipping notification and no answer back.

Bore looked like no rounds had been test fired through it.

Took it out the range for a test.... And exactly the same issues as before.

No bolt lockback on empty mag w/ M193 or M855 and basically any non-match, medium powered 223 either wouldn't eject at all or completely locked up the action.

DID NOT USE ANY STEEL.

Also used carbine buffer and regular mil spec buffer spring to be as light as possible on the action.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just bought a brand spanking new 11.5 URGI upper today and took it to get zeroed. Installed the included Super 42 and H3 buffer kit, slapped on my RC2 and zeroed it. Awesome, no problems there.

Next I just wanted to shoot a few strings before taking off. I took off the can and went to charge the rifle and I encountered a failure to go into battery. The bolt carrier wouldn't fully seat. This happened once in the middle of a magazine and several more times simply loading the gun for the next string.  I had to mortar the gun each time to get the round free.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I got a new higher end rifle and about every third to sixth round gets stuck about 1/3" out of battery. It gets stuck very hard. Mortaring does nothing. There is just enough room to get a screwdriver tip (uuuggggg I know) to gently pry and open it up. As you can see the round doesn't seat when dropping a round in the chamber. The inside of the chamber looks ok but my near sighted vision has taken a shit in recent years.

I case gauge all my ammo and double checked some of the ammo that failed to feed. All of it case gauges good.

This is my 12th AR and I have been loading for years. Looks like this chamber just might be a little tight. What say you?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109231/20220610_180711-2413991.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109231/20220610_180742-2413992.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109231/20220610_122822-2413998.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hey all- I pieced together a Super Duty with a Geissele 16" barrel, Geissele gas block and everything else G except a CMT bcg that headspaced fine with this barrel. Anyway, I was running a Geissele H2 buffer and spring and it was like there was no gas. So, I swapped out a standard carbine buffer and standard spring and spaced the gas block .025" off the shoulder and it is cycling now, but short-stroking a bit (not cycling far enough to pick up the next round and a couple cases didn't clear the ejection port).

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Recently I bought four of the standalone Geissele CHF barrels, a 14.5 and 11.5 from EuroOptic, an 11.5 from Midway, and a 14.5 from Primary Arms. Barrels were all assembled with brand new BCM bolt carrier groups and all pass a headspace check.

Got to the range this week and had nothing but problems. Very first round through one of the 11.5 barrels, round does not fully go in to battery, give forward assist a good tap and it goes the rest of the way, round fires and does not extract, mortar the rifle to get the case to extract. Try another round, it does not go in to battery, I do not try firing again and have to mortar the rifle to get it to extract. Try the next 11.5, same results.

Try one of the 14.5 and it is even worse, I have to beat on the charging handle with a mallet to get the unfired round out. Try the next 14.5 but this time with 4 different types of ammo, Wolf Gold 55gr, Armscor M193 55gr, Magtech HPBT 69gr, Federal XM855 62gr, each round requires mortaring or a mallet to extract. I had one other newly built upper with me that has a Green Mountain barrel and BCM BCG, it chambers, fires, and extracts all four of these rounds without issue. I pull that BCG out and try it in one of the Geissele barrels with no improvement.

End Part 1
View Quote

Quoted:
Back home with everything on the bench and try to figure out what the issue is. I have previously been an 07 FFL and have training as a gunsmith/machinist at the Trinidad gunsmith school, though I do not consider myself to be either, I mention this to make the point that I have some experience chambering barrels and have some tools that most other shooters wouldn't. I check each barrel with a gauge that checks if the throat and freebore are to 5.56 chamber specs, all four barrels fail this check. I also have a special 5.56 chamber reamer that only cuts forward of the shoulder, so the neck, throat and freebore (this reamer is used to convert .223 chambers to 5.56 NATO without lengthening headspace) this reamer inserts most of the way in to the 11.5 barrels, a couple spins and a little bit of material removed and rounds are now able to enter the chamber, bolt is able to go in to battery, and they are able to be extracted with ease. The 14.5 barrels required quite a bit more than just a couple spins but after a few minutes I was able to get both barrels to where rounds could enter, go in to battery, and extract.

The takeaway from all of this is there is definitely a bad (actually not just bad but unsafe) batch of Geissele barrels out there, these barrels were either not cut to 5.56 NATO chamber dimensions or they were and chrome build up was enough to bring them out of spec, either-way, checking the chamber dimensions after chrome plating was not one of the QC steps performed on all four of my barrels.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CS rep said it's supposed to be .068, I sent in a PDF proof of purchase and photos to the email I was directed to and got a response a few hours earlier that this will be looked at and handled.

View Quote

View Quote

And what I received was a .061, same as the other person that I was quoting.

Was that for Geissele's mistake? Because that's the only answer that any sane person would accept considering the fact that they were both supposed to be .068.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well good news and bad news. It shoots nice groups for as rusty I am shooting rifles. Bad is that out of 2 different M855 brands, PMC 55gn, and Mk318 Mod 1, only the Mk318 cycled it without a suppressor.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a recent build super duty upper that seems to be fine... It's rack grade accurate but functions well.

But my Geissele LE upper (with the ALG rail) showed up with zero attempt to align it with the upper . That shit went straight back.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a recent build super duty upper that seems to be fine... It's rack grade accurate but functions well.

But my Geissele LE upper (with the ALG rail) showed up with zero attempt to align it with the upper . That shit went straight back.
View Quote

Rack grade accurate? Can you quantify that? Every post I’ve seen about G barrels has reported excellent accuracy, assuming the gun cycles.

FWIW, I’ve posted in the mortaring my 11.5 thread because my 11.5 pistol was also non-functional from the factory. Anyone who is trying to downplay this stuff needs to wake up because this is very widespread and a huge problem. There are multiple reported problems (chambering AND gas port issues) with both complete uppers and stand alone barrels that have been corroborated by a lot of people.

I think this is entirely fixable, especially for a company as big as Geissele, but they’re well past the point that acknowledgement and corrections need to be applied. Anything less than fully functioning parts being returned to the customers is going to hurt their reputation badly.

As I posted on the other thread, mine was there for a week and a half and is on its way back now so I’m happy with the turn around time as long as it works properly now. I have a lot of G products but have been skeptical of their uppers, I really hope they’re fixing this issue.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Here’s the QC Process, it’s called dumb fucking luck:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#50]
I feel like geissele should just stick with their rails and triggers. They were doing fine but like most companies getting bigger they expand their lineup and run into QC issues when they first start rolling them out. I feel like geissele going into the complete rifle is like what happened to BCM. They saw the market shift and tried to keep up but fell short.

They should follow companies like LMT and KAC. They both seem to know what they're doing and they do it well enough.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top