Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2021 9:15:19 AM EDT
Anybody tried this lower price DTX line?

Stopped by LGS today and grabbed a box just because..
I’ve used Geco in the past with good results but this DTX is new to me.

Price is on par with Fiocchi, GGG and S&B.

Upon closer inspection I’ve noticed the 55g ball is a lot shorter than the GGG or the S&B.. reminds me the ones used by the steel cased Wolf..

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I read that Geco, S&B and Magtech are all owned by the same parent company.   I’ve never seen the Geco DTX ammo but the bullet color doesn’t look like copper clad steel jacket bi-metal bullet.   I wonder if that is a flat base FMJ instead of boat tail.  Might explain the blunt tip.  I bet the BC on that bullet is pretty low.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read that Geco, S&B and Magtech are all owned by the same parent company.   I've never seen the Geco DTX ammo but the bullet color doesn't look like copper clad steel jacket bi-metal bullet.   I wonder if that is a flat base FMJ instead of boat tail.  Might explain the blunt tip.  I bet the BC on that bullet is pretty low.
View Quote

GECO is owned by RUAG. s&b and Magtech are owned by CBC
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure will pull the bullet later and let you know.
It’s not magnetic btw unlike the s&b.

Geco website says all ammo are mfg in Germany but I’ve read heard some stuff may be mfg in Hungary or Swiss..?

Should be able to function test the ammo tomorrow.. have a new aug that needs to be zeroed
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The packaging doesn’t say anything about where this stuff is made.
The bullet is 17.55mm long vs 18.90mm of the usgi M193.

As for the GGG all I see is 55gr fmj and 69gr smk.

Back to the Geco.. got the chance to zero the Aug at 25M then confirmed at 100M.
Good news is that the ammo functioned flawlessly.
Meh news is that the Aug A1 is not the best platform to test ammo accuracy.. besides the heavy trigger pull the donut reticle was huge compared to the 20cm target.. I had hard time keeping the reticle steady.
Bad news is I’m not Molon

Group is not awesome but I’m confident the size can be cut in half with the Ar15&Acog setup.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I noticed that with my 16" FN 1:7 twist AUG barrel, it took about 100 rounds to get broken in and for groups to tighten up.

Were you shooting from a rest? With my ancient AUG-A0, I get about 1.8 moa groups at 100yds with GECO .223 and the 1.5x donut of death optic
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a 150rd box in late spring. Seems perfectly acceptable FMJ range fodder. Reasonable groups, cycled fine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I noticed that with my 16" FN 1:7 twist AUG barrel, it took about 100 rounds to get broken in and for groups to tighten up.

Were you shooting from a rest? With my ancient AUG-A0, I get about 1.8 moa groups at 100yds with GECO .223 and the 1.5x donut of death optic
View Quote

Mine has the 1/9 Austrian barrel.. previous owner was a collector so it was never fired before. Should group better with use.

I was shooting from the bench rested on a wooden block.. not the best setup.
The hardest parts was trying to keep the 20cm target centered inside the 60cm donut ring (mine lacks the inner crosshair).
Lots of flyers are shooter error.. the more I shot the less flyer I got.. I felt like the 2.5 moa-ish portion was the true group though.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top