Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2018 4:23:17 PM EDT
Armorers wrench
upper and lower vise blocks
roll pin punch set
Takedown/pivot pin tools

Of course Brownell's AR-15/M16 CRITICAL TOOLS KIT was out of stock like everything else I need when I shop there, so I had to gather it all up on Amazon. That worked in my favor as it ended up being cheaper by about $10 but I couldn't find the action block on amazon is it really a must have?

I already have the allens and punch dies and torque wrench covered.

Bought two stripped lowers from Primary Arms blow out and watched this video. Seems easy enough to me.

Link Posted: 9/16/2018 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Takedown/pivot pin tools
View Quote
You don't need these. Get a 2x1/4" clevis pin at the hardware store. Might set ya back a buck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't need these. Get a 2x1/4" clevis pin at the hardware store. Might set ya back a buck.
View Quote
Thanks. Deleted that from the cart.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Upper receiver vice blocks are a thing of the past. > https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Upper-Receiver-Rod-p/mi-urr.htm
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I would add a quality 6 or 8 oz brass mallet, a set of regular punches, and a good gunsmith screwdriver set to the list. A spare A4 carry handle also helps when trying to align top rails between upper and free float hand guards. Depending on the design of the handguard, this may or may not be needed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Tekton makes a nice punch set for firearms for like $40
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Upper receiver vice blocks are a thing of the past. > https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Upper-Receiver-Rod-p/mi-urr.htm
View Quote
Cool, but for 2/3s the cost I can get both the upper and lower vise blocks. (and did)
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would add a quality 6 or 8 oz brass mallet, a set of regular punches, and a good gunsmith screwdriver set to the list. A spare A4 carry handle also helps when trying to align top rails between upper and free float hand guards. Depending on the design of the handguard, this may or may not be needed.
View Quote
Brass mallet I already have, as well as regular punch set and two drawers of screwdrivers, everything from jewelers, to huge. I only have a couple of roll pin punches, so this was as good a time as any to get a full set.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
*sigh* - I guess I need to start buying a bunch of tool, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me too
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Me too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me too
I wouldn't consider $70 bucks worth of tools "a bunch". Punches, receiver blocks, and an armorers wrench.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I would suggest a Magpul Bev block over the traditional receiver clamps.  It allows you to work on both upper and lower and is pretty stout.

I would also get some aeroshell 33ms and good quality armorer's wrench (not the cheapo versions).
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cool, but for 2/3s the cost I can get both the upper and lower vise blocks. (and did)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I tried. At least I didn't recommend the expensive ones this time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
hammers
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 3:21:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Assume you have a decent bench vise already.

The bolt catch pin is probably the most difficult pin to start and remove. This makes it easy to get the pin started (and to remove if needed) without marring the receiver finish - Wheeler 710906 Engineering Bolt Catch Install Tool Kit
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#15]
A propane torch can help.
Get extra detents, roll pins, and springs from brownells or midway.
Masking tape or tuct tape.
Vise grip.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#16]
No one has mentioned knipex pliers with the jaws covered with electrical tape.

Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wouldn't consider $70 bucks worth of tools "a bunch". Punches, receiver blocks, and an armorers wrench.
View Quote
I gotta get a bench vise too.  It's not a bunch, but it's just other shit you don't think about when you're shopping for parts.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q11mziNfzmc
View Quote
I almost did yesterday Thats what I use
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I have seen too many uppers with "clam" marks so when it came time for me to get a receiver block
I got a BevBlock it,s a great tool.

I bought an actually great vise at Lowes last year.
It,s got a 5in. jaw, will run vertical or horizontal left or right and also totally upside down.
Has pipe jaws and square rod jaws on bottom side. It was 69 bucks.

Buy a good brass or rubber hammer and roll-pin punches to go with a regular punch set.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#20]
What's missing from this LPK packet? Attachment Attached File

If you guessed roll pin, spring, and plunger, you guessed correctly.

Now I get to wait for PSA to make it right before I can continue.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Moving along, I figure I can assemble the rest of the lower while I wait for PSA, but I find that the magpul grip is smaller than the lower.Attachment Attached File

The lower receiver is 0.380
Attachment Attached File

What am I missing? I'm a noob at this, but this grip should just slide on shouldn't it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:02:15 AM EDT
[#22]
the pistol grips I've installed, usually are a very tight fit, I count on the plastic flexing a little as I wrestle it on.  not really a slip-fit.  if you can wrestle it on, then it's the right size.

headspace gages.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Magpul grips are tight. Believe it or not, the older ones were worse.

A1 and A2 grips are usually a perfect fit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I decided to delete this post........
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you ever decide to use billet uppers, some upper's exterior dimensions won't fit properly inside clamshell upper blocks.  Some handguards  such as LaRue's quad rail cannot be attached with the receiver in a clamshell block without modifying the clamshells.

For those I use a Magpul BEV block.  Like the motion rods, it locks into barrel extension, so the barrel doesn't rotate while the barrel not is being tightened.

Cool thing about the BEV block is it could be used for either upper or lower receiver.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q11mziNfzmc
View Quote
this is the best thing ever - I have never built another lower without using these pliers
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top